Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upgrading to eTap and I'm thinking I should probably replace my chainrings as well. Can't remember how many k's I've got on these, shifting is still good, but thinking it may be time to replace them? How do they look to you guys?

Edit to add, should I stick with the Praxis rings or give SRAM Red rings a go this time since I'm going eTap?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
There is definitely wear there, but if you are happy with them (i.e. they aren't skipping, and shifting is good), why change them?

By changing rings, you could potentially create new problems, where problems don't already exist.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,420 Posts
They are definitely getting a "shark tooth" profile, and should be changed. How much stretch in the chain? How do the cogs look? You may have to replace more, maybe even all of them.

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
they don't appear to be overly worn to my eye, but compare the teeth profiles to a new ring...

personally, if shifting isn't compromised, I'd keep riding them.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Biggest reason I'm asking is I'm going from Red 10sp (circa 2012) to eTap 11sp = new cassette and chain. I'm wondering if I'm going to come across any issues using these existing chain rings up front? Guessing I should budget for rings as well, but so far, responses are about 50-50

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
I would say they are getting to a point that they could be a problem with new chain. Look at the profile compared to the little ring (don't change that one, don't you have any hills?).

If your getting a new groupo, to not change the ring would be .... crazy!

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Those rings got many miles left in them. I don't see any shark tooth / fin profile. That happens when the chain starts undercutting the flanks on one side of the tooth ("wallowing it out") and the teeth all begin to look like they're leaning over to one side.

But if you want new rings, get them. I would, because looking at the mismatch every day between the spider and big ring at the ledge would drive me to distraction :)

Some definite shark teeth / fins:
Art's Cyclery Blog » Ask a Mechanic | Eliminating Chain Suck

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I would say they are getting to a point that they could be a problem with new chain. Look at the profile compared to the little ring (don't change that one, don't you have any hills?).

If your getting a new groupo, to not change the ring would be .... crazy!
Um, the profile is different right out of the factory.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
The big ring looks okay to me. The black anodizing makes it easier to see the wear. Or makes it look worse than usual.
Personally, I time my chainring replacements to coincide with the installation of a new cassette and chain.

·
Registered
590 Posts
They are definitely getting a "shark tooth" profile, and should be changed. How much stretch in the chain? How do the cogs look? You may have to replace more, maybe even all of them.
Porkie pies (or for our American friends: bullshit).

Sorry for being overly harsh to a newbie, but do you actually know how a shark profile looks like?

Nothing looks worn here except the paint.

·
Registered
698 Posts
These kind of "worn chainring" posts are pretty common. Riders happen to look closely at the ring after a few months or a year, and think it's excessive wear. I had the same reaction many years ago. But it's how the teeth are designed, with different shapes and milled sides.

Remember, the chain rollers contact the 'front' side of the ring. The back side is sloped more to help with shifting. So it kind of looks worn, but it's not. And the 3-D milling on the teeth faces is also for shifting performance.

Like the previous comments mentioned, the black anodizing wears off and makes it look worse. If it shifts okay, I'd keep it. It'll likely still be good for years.

Here's a crop of a new Praxis ring, from a google image search.
View attachment 316103

Note the varying tooth shapes on the big ring, and the more consistent teeth on the small ring.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts