Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your limit? I did a pay ride this weekend, TOSRV, tour of the Stevie Ray Vaughn. It has been going on for 52 years. The last time I did the ride a few years ago I think the price was $49 I was told last year it jumped to $55 and this year $70 for the early birds, $80 for the fashionably late, and $90 for the last minute gate crashers. Some riders felt that enrollment was way down for some reason. I was so late the ride Director told me he could not register me but gave me his blessing to ghost ride and I assured him I would not partake in any ride services. 3 miles from the start I missed a turn and did the first half of the day solo off course.

The value of the ride is quickly diminishing. The rest stops are the same, food the same, post ride facilities same, route same, ham radio same, police patrol same, price has sky rocketed. I'm thinking it is insurance related. But what is your limit? I only do a few pay rides a year.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
If it is a ride we want to do we will do it no matter what the cost, I think our PR for cost is around $8k .

That being said, we rarely (less than one a year) participate in organized rides any more.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Extinction? Many long-time rides have raised prices but are still hitting their limits. Presumably they're smart enough to recognize when high fees become counter-productive. You say some riders "felt" that enrollment was down, but what are the facts? If it went down from 3000 to 2500 it's not extinct yet.

I'm no expert, however, as I don't do any of those any more.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Extinction? Many long-time rides have raised prices but are still hitting their limits. Presumably they're smart enough to recognize when high fees become counter-productive. You say some riders "felt" that enrollment was down, but what are the facts? If it went down from 3000 to 2500 it's not extinct yet.

I'm no expert, however, as I don't do any of those any more.
Will have to see the final ride report. I've never seen the course so empty in past years, I glanced at the rest areas, they were low traffic, even registration was empty when I arrived. Several area churches do a fundraiser dinner for $10, they were kinda vacant, "felt" riders were 20 year vet riders staying in the gym where I was and other riders at dinner.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I just spent almost 50 bucks to race a mtn bike race. As for these other rides, way to rich for my blood. The great thing about the bike is that it doesnt cost me anything to go ride somewhere.
Honestly i just perfer looking on a message board and seeing a ride and just showing up. No money, no support, just fun.

Bill

·
Registered
908 Posts
I rarely do "supported" rides anymore. A few races I pay fees for each year, but every year it's less and less supported rides. The fees are crazy, and I end up taking my own nutrition anyways. I don't need anymore T-Shirts.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
I rarely do organized rides anymore, partly due to the cost and partly due to the large crowds and sketchy riders. About the only one I still ride is Bikefest in Hillsborough, NC, which is a fund-raiser for the local bike club (Tarwheels) and great route with excellent support and food at the stops. I also ride Cycle North Carolina's spring ride most years, but it is more of a tour and I consider it reasonable at $150 for three days of riding with numerous rest stops, cue sheets, free camping and one big meal.

·
Cumudgitude
703 Posts
From a dollars and cents standpoint the organization wins if they raise fees, lower turnout, but result in the same gross sales. Fewer riders means less support needed from the organization. So long as they don't lose more than 40% of their registrants from '09 to now they're coming out ahead. In fact, they may actually increase their net income if they make some smart cuts to support services.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
RUSA is a lot of bang for the buck.
Very true. They`re the only organized rides I`ve ever done. I haven`t checked prices in any clubs other than the one I started riding with, but that particular club charges only $5 for early registration in the non-series rides, gradually increasing with length for the regular rides. $20 to $40 is a max of one dime per KM- tough to beat that! If anybody living near a rando club wants company along on a ride, it`s worth checking out for sure. Most of those rides don`t require membership in RUSA or the hosting club, and they start off at just 63 miles in length, so anybody who can handle a $75 century ride can certainly manage a $5 "populaire", and probably a 200K.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
I usually do a couple per year. Some of them have gotten pretty pricey. I've never done TOSROV or GOBA, but I'd like to hopefully soon. This year is out for GOBA. Maybe next year.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.