Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Formerly known as gotj
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently started wearing Under Armour stuff, and I really like the wicking/cooling properties it has. I think it would be great as a cycling jersey, for those rides when pockets are not needed.

Compared to a jersey, UA stuff is cheap. But for a t-shirt, it's pretty expensive. Wal-Mart and Target, and perhaps other places, have stuff that looks very similar for a LOT less money (~1/3 the price, I believe).

Does anyone know if the knockoffs work as well as real UA stuff?

(In particular, I'm thinking about their compression and loose fitting shirts, but the compression shorts would be good for non-cycling stuff, too.)

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Good shirts usually have a waffle fabric... I cannot imagine using a UA as a base layer or jersey.

SkiDiver said:
I've recently started wearing Under Armour stuff, and I really like the wicking/cooling properties it has. I think it would be great as a cycling jersey, for those rides when pockets are not needed.

Compared to a jersey, UA stuff is cheap. But for a t-shirt, it's pretty expensive. Wal-Mart and Target, and perhaps other places, have stuff that looks very similar for a LOT less money (~1/3 the price, I believe).

(In particular, I'm thinking about their compression and loose fitting shirts, but the compression shorts would be good for non-cycling stuff, too.)

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
The knock-off stuff works pretty well. I have never seen a need to pony up for the real thing. I would add that he form-fitting shirts work a whole lot better than the loose ones. If I want a loose fitting shirt to work out in, I'd go with coolmax or equivalent.

·
I drank what?
3,240 Posts
I have some Starter shirts that work well. Think I got them at Walmart for like $12. However, I don't think they sale them anymore.

·
Formerly known as gotj
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GTDave said:
The knock-off stuff works pretty well. I have never seen a need to pony up for the real thing. I would add that he form-fitting shirts work a whole lot better than the loose ones. If I want a loose fitting shirt to work out in, I'd go with coolmax or equivalent.
Interesting. Why do you think coolmax would work better for loose fitting? I'm cheap, so I currently use loose-fitting coolmax for biking, but it doesn't seem to wick as well to me as the form-fitting UA stuff. I haven't tried loose UA yet.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
j__h said:
I have some Starter shirts that work well. Think I got them at Walmart for like $12. However, I don't think they sale them anymore.
I have them too.. i use them for my commutes..I bought like 6 pair.. I also bought 6 of the cycling jerseys back in 2003.. and some of the long sleeves.

the baselayer stuff in winter 03/or was it 04 was great. I picked up as much as I could.

I doubt we'll ever see these things again :(

I'm not sure about the new stuff. (95% poly, 5% other stuff).

Anyways, Nike bought Starter a few years ago.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Walmart Base Layers

I have worn the skin tight base layers (about 8 to 10 dollars I think) for over a year now when I ride year around. I usually use the sleeveless ones but in the winter I wear black long sleeve. In my opinion they work great. They pull the sweat away from my body and it normally dissipates fairly quickly from my jersy at that point. It works well enough that when I stop for a rest on the high peaks around here that sometimes I find myself shivering. The key with the skin tight base layers though is being able to look at yourself in the mirror when you first put it on and not go into laughing hysterics. Skin tight means skin tight! :blush2:

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
chances are the knock offs are sheeyat. they may look like the real thing, but no doubt they lack the high tech materials of the UA stuff, rendering them nothing more than replicas w/o any value apart from the superficial resemblence.

SkiDiver said:

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,787 Posts
botto said:
chances are the knock offs are sheeyat. they may look like the real thing, but no doubt they lack the high tech materials of the UA stuff, rendering them nothing more than replicas w/o any value apart from the superficial resemblence.
I'm sorry, but I have to laugh. "High tech materials"? UA stuff is a combination of the following: nylon, lycra/spandex, polyester. It's not high tech, and the generic stuff from Target or KMart will work just as well, though it might not be made as well.

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
vonteity said:
I'm sorry, but I have to laugh. "High tech materials"? UA stuff is a combination of the following: nylon, lycra/spandex, polyester. It's not high tech, and the generic stuff from Target or KMart will work just as well, though it might not be made as well.
whatever dude.

i can't speak specifically for UA, but i know that companies like Adidas uses high tech materials for a lot of their sports gear (although cycling is prob not part of that) and that all of Assos cycling stuff uses materials that are a cut above the rest. One of my best friends worked adidas for quite awhile, and hired scientists, engineers, etc as consultants.

If you want to see all materials as the same (i.e. a pair of bibs from Performance is the same as a pair of Assos, then once again you've proven that ignorance is BLISS :wink:)

·
Registered
168 Posts
vonteity said:
I agree. I will shell out for the bibs, but for the shirt, I wear a Starter loose fit Coolmax wannabe. And where it lets me down is in the stitching, or it snags. I know the good stuff is better, but I find it hard to find my size in jerseys at a price I can justify. I got lucky to find bibs that fit! So I just put up with the quality issues and breeze on.

·
i like whiskey
8,493 Posts
An easy way to find out

SkiDiver said:

Why don't you go buy one and give us a report? Seems like the perfect way to do a side by side comparison that doesn't cost a lot of money. If they suck, then you'll only be out $12 or whatever they cost and we'll all know.

FWIW, I've got a few loose fitting shirts from Target that work well. I wear them when I'm on my mountain bike or the ultra rare occassion when I go running. If they would just make them in hunter green or tan or camo, I could wear them when I dove hunt in September and October.

And please tell me you don't tuck these shirts into your bike shorts :p

·
Formerly known as gotj
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have both

I use the under armor jerseys and I have two that I got from walmart. The walmart ones never get worn anymore. The quality is what you pay for. The thin material is thinner that they same time UA shirt, the seams are weak and fall apart and the cut of the shirt doesn't fit as well. For $8, or whatever they cost, you get what you pay for.

I prefer the underarmor shirts.

·
n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
The thin material is thinner that they same time UA shirt, the seams are weak and fall apart and the cut of the shirt doesn't fit as well.
Not sure what you're trying to say about the "thin material" but the Wal-Mart shirts are a little thinner than UA but I don't think this is much of an issue. One is thinner than the other. Perhaps the thinner shirt will wear out a little sooner but mine have held up fine. I haven't found the Wal-Mart seams to be weak. The cut of both are stretchy and tight. Both fit skin tight. For $8 I can buy four Wal-Mart shirts for each UA and my guess is you'll wear out the UA before the fourth Wal-Mart shirt bites the dust.

What's most important is how they perform and the Wal-Mart shirts wick just as well as the UA shirts.

I'm not really trying to defend the Wal-Mart shirts. I give Wal-Mart very little of my business but these shirts have been a good deal as far as I'm concerned.

·
Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
FatTireFred said:
it's all polyester, isn't it?
Not all polyester is the same.

·
Registered
162 Posts
You Guys Are Too Much....

:rolleyes: I wear both the UA & the so-called Wal-Mart "knock-offs"....same thickness, same feel, same wicking capacities....I just happened to buy all of my UA shirts when they where still discounting them when they first hit the market, along with receiving gift cards....haven't bought any UAs at full price....

I wet down the baselayer on hot days under my cycling jersey, & both work great.....in this case, paying more won't get you any better quality....I laid them out on the bed next to one another, & you really can't tell the difference-----

---except in the wallet if you buy the UA at regular price.....

BTW, their socks are great too.....but so are the Wal-Mart "knock-offs" too....go figure....:idea:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.