Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a written rule permitting or forbidding women to enter the TdF?

p.s., I'm making no judgment as to whether a woman could or should. I'm simply asking about the existence of a regulation Thanks.

· Do not touch the trim.
2,383 Posts
Nat said:

p.s., I'm making no judgment as to whether a woman could or should. I'm simply asking about the existence of a regulation Thanks.
Yes there were rules against it as per UCI regulations. With the Tour being sanctioned by the FFC ( French cycling federation) this year it's anybodies guess now.

· Registered
378 Posts
The tour is by invitation only and what proteam would risk losing on purpose by hiring a woman? Sorenstam has entered men's golf tournaments but she could never win. She could barely make the cut and that's about it.

· For president!
7,851 Posts
California L33 said:
The one that wanted to get its sponsor some air time- and you can bet she'd be in every flat stage suicide break away.
She'd be in the break off the back everyday.

Sorry but women can't compete at the same level in cycling and she'd be destroyed.

· Cat 6 rider
3,119 Posts
SilasCL said:
She'd be in the break off the back everyday.

Sorry but women can't compete at the same level in cycling and she'd be destroyed.
On one of the local MUTs here I passed a woman on a department store mountain bike wearing sandals, and she wasn't exactly petite, if you know what I mean. I doubt she was doing 15MPH. I was cruising at 19MPH into a fair headwind. I didn't think anything else of her until almost two miles later when I heard something and looked back. There she was, sucking my wheel. When she saw me she pulled out to pass. It was a dumb thing to do because there was oncoming traffic, so I coasted and let her by. I don't think she would have gotten by me in the wind if I didn't slow down, but the point is she was able to hang on. Now I'm no pro level rider, but she didn't even look like she'd been on a bike in a while. I think Stage 1 of TdF averaged a little under 27MPH. Are you telling me there isn't a female cyclist in the world who could wheel suck at that speed?

· Registered
1,347 Posts
California L33 said:
I think Stage 1 of TdF averaged a little under 27MPH. Are you telling me there isn't a female cyclist in the world who could wheel suck at that speed?
i think you are missing one key point, you dont get on a pro team in the 1st place by wheel sucking at 27mph

· Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
TheDon said:
I don't want to be that guy, but this subject has come up before. use the search function

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=103398&highlight=women+tour+de+france
That link did not definitively answer the question of, "are women permitted to enter the TdF?" One guy said no. Another guy said yes, a long time ago. A third guy said he doubts it.

Regardless, the Tour has a new sanctioning body this year (OnTheRivet -- thanks for your input). Does anyone know if the FFC permits women to enter?

· Registered
11,561 Posts
California L33 said:
Are you telling me there isn't a female cyclist in the world who could wheel suck at that speed?
I've ridden with a couple of girls who were national champions, they weren't as impressive as local strong guys. Typically the best local girls can hold their own in a men's cat. 3 field. I remember Lynn Bessette racing with the Pro,1,2(?) men at the Green Mountain Stage Race a few years ago and I think finished top 10 or there abouts on the long road stage with a mountain top finish. I don't know how she did overall. This was essentially an amateur field. I think if you took one of the strongest women in the world, she might be able to finish the Tour if that was her only goal.

· Registered
1,046 Posts
We have a woman around here who won a stage in the women's Tour de France (forgot what the name is) who races for Lipton. There's also a female masters world champion. They both get blown out the back of the local 1,2,3 crits and can't hang on the group rides. So no, I don't think a woman in the TdF would be viable, since we're discussing that now.

As to regulations, I'm not sure.

· Banned
4,302 Posts
Nat said:

I was wondering if they allowed blacks or asians? I've never seen one in the TdF either.

· For president!
7,851 Posts
Nat said:
That link did not definitively answer the question of, "are women permitted to enter the TdF?" One guy said no. Another guy said yes, a long time ago. A third guy said he doubts it.

Regardless, the Tour has a new sanctioning body this year (OnTheRivet -- thanks for your input). Does anyone know if the FFC permits women to enter?
I think it would be analogous to having a minimum height in the NBA. Sure someone could write a rule, but who would care? There are no midgets playing professional basketball and there are no women who could compete in the tour.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.