Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you? Should you be?

I think I am. I'm always thinking now of the consequences. If a driver misses a red light or dozes off or is distracted, it's not a fender bender. It could be a fatality.

fc

·
Registered
217 Posts
absolutely! I remember thinking about that when I first started riding 10 years ago. in addition to being more aware of other road users (bicycles, pedestrians, etc), and the space they require/deserve, I'm also more patient. coming from an up-tight New Yorker, that was a big life lesson for me.

·
the other Derek
421 Posts
I have also become more aware of my energy output and that translates to better fuel economy. Knowing how to conserve energy on the bike teaches you how to be more conservative while driving.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
bustamove said:
I have also become more aware of my energy output and that translates to better fuel economy. Knowing how to conserve energy on the bike teaches you how to be more conservative while driving.
It does? :confused:

As for becoming a better car driver because I ride a bike, no... not really.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
I'm definitely more aware of watching for cyclists and motorcyclists now. The last thing I want is one of my buddies splattered on my windshield.

·
Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
velogirl said:
absolutely! I remember thinking about that when I first started riding 10 years ago. in addition to being more aware of other road users (bicycles, pedestrians, etc), and the space they require/deserve, I'm also more patient. coming from an up-tight New Yorker, that was a big life lesson for me.
New Yohk Citahy? I thought you had that local California smile!

fc

·
Bikespace member
4,461 Posts
i'ld like to think so, but then I also think i'm pretty good, actually excellent, driver to begin with :rolleyes:

but being on 2 wheels, whether it's a bicycle or motorcycle i definitely see how awful other drivers really are.

·
Neophyte
2,209 Posts
Yes. Especially when I realized I was usually riding Alhambra Valley Rd at a ridiculously dangerous time with the sun right in my eyes and that a car would probably not see me. I definitely drive Grizzly Peak in a safer manner nowadays. Plus that recent crash involving the police car that was in the media a lot really got to me.

·
Registered
309 Posts
francois said:
He, he, he... got that Highway 9 descent dialed on your auto?

fc
No, Hwy 121 to 128 between Napa and Lake Berryessa. I've ridden it several times, and each time I drive it after, I notice I go through the corners better.

I drive it pretty frequently too. Work brings me to the Napa Valley frequently, and 128 is my return route of choice.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I think I'm calmer in my car b/c of my cycling experience. But hey, I drive my car; I drive my bike. If more cyclists drove their bike by the same rules that they drive their car, the world would be safer for cyclists overall.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Definitely. I started riding road bikes with my parents a couple years before I ever got my driver's license ( in the 1980's). I think all driver's ed. classes should require the students to ride their bikes in trafffic for a certain amount of time.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Not really. I'm probably the only person in the entire US that has never talked on a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle. I've had too many dear friends die in car accidents to not fully appreciate how dangerous to myself and others operating a car can be. The car control clinics I've attended have done me more good at being a better driver than cycling, although I certainly give cyclists along the road a lot more room than I probably did prior to my starting cycling, since I always appreciate when vehicles do this for me.

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
francois said:
Are you a better driver because you are a cyclist?
No, rather, I believe I am a better driver since I had in-class training and behind the wheel on-track racing experience, the experience which was somewhere around 70 hours of track time with other cars, at speed. Additionally, I don’t run reds or stopsigns, I know the proper right-of-way rules for four-way stops, I pay attention to the road, I DON’T use a cellphone while driving, my eyes are constantly scanning the road in front of/behind me/mirrors, I drive a stickshift (apparently this makes a person at least 50% more attentive to the road than autotragic-driving douchebags), I ALWAYS use my turnsignals (three California state vehicle code sections clearly state it is ILLEGAL to not use turnsignals), I avoid sitting in a person’s blind spot, merging is done safely and effectively, I don’t hold up traffic, I don’t tailgate. I could go on and on, but then you all would think I work for the California Highway Patrol and am eager to slap your assess with moving violations, so I will stop now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.