Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My manager asked me to work from home recently. I should start by April, as soon as my laptop arrives. They need the space and everything I do on my desktop at work I can do from my house.

Pros:
Gain 1 hour/day
Work in my flannels and sweats
Hair dryer gets a break
Choose my own music
My house has windows

Cons
Working alone
Loss of face to face interaction
Isolation
No one to talk to
Isolation
No dedicated office
Isolation

So how do you all handle the isolation? I don't want to wind up being known as the "cat lady."

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Kristin said:
My manager asked me to work from home recently. I should start by April, as soon as my laptop arrives. They need the space and everything I do on my desktop at work I can do from my house.

Pros:
Gain 1 hour/day
Hair dryer gets a break
Choose my own music
My house has windows

Cons
Working alone
Isolation
No one to talk to
Isolation
No dedicated office
Isolation

So how do you all handle the isolation? I don't want to wind up being known as the "cat lady."
That is why they all hang out here, instead of working. Heck, I am in the office all day, and still spend more time here than I do actually working.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
i wish. there's nothing i do at work that i can't do from home. my productivity would rise and my time working would, too. and they wouldn't have to pay for the space at work. heck, they already make me pay for my own 'net connection, which i use FOR WORKING AFTER HOURS AND WEEKENDS. :rolleyes:

do i think it will ever happen? not.

·
Rep *****.
9,795 Posts
Before retiring from my industry a year ago I spent the previous 4 years telecommuting. The tricky part for me was getting into work mode in the morning. I had to leave the house and go get a coffee and then come back. It made it feel like I was going to the office.

Isolation was never a problem. I would take things to the fedex drop locations instead having them picked up, Have my mail sent to a PO box instead of my house, ect. Stuff like that helps keep the isolation in check.

·
I'm not like anyone else
1,796 Posts
Kristin said:
Cons
Working alone
Isolation
No one to talk to
Isolation
No dedicated office
Isolation

Heck... sounds like my entire life. If I only had to do it 8hrs a day... heaven!

I have Buddy to talk to when he's not off sniffin or chasing something.

That's how I handle it!

Cheers... EDB

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
I could if I wanted to but there are too many distractions with my wife being home all day. Everytime I work from home she thinks it's a day off for me and that the honey do list could use some attention.

·
Registered
51 Posts
firstrax said:
Before retiring from my industry a year ago I spent the previous 4 years telecommuting. The tricky part for me was getting into work mode in the morning. I had to leave the house and go get a coffee and then come back. It made it feel like I was going to the office.
I agree, with the work mode comments. When I first started working remotely I would just get up out of bed, walk to the coffee maker and then to the laptop. I guess this works for some people but I just got into a rut between a work-mode and a non-work-mode.

I usually ride every morning to my local starbucks while listening to Bob&Tom, something I would do with a regular morning commute. So when I pull into my garage and walk upstairs I am in work mode.

Even If I was in my cube, most of my work is done phone/email and instant messaging. During the boring as hell conference calls, I do laundry and clean up the house. Last week I cleaned out my garage durring one.

The isolation never was a problem I actually I kind of like it and get more work done that way. Hell most of the people that would come see me were irate and wanted me to fix something. (Although IT support is my job, I could do without the attitude). The distance gives me room to prioritize my day.

It works for me..Plus I get a ride every morning!

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Kristin said:

Pros:
Gain 1 hour/day
Hair dryer gets a break
Choose my own music
My house has windows

Cons
Working alone
Isolation
No one to talk to
Isolation
No dedicated office
Isolation

Part time telecommuter here--working at home this week as the boss is out and no face to face meetings scheduled so far. I much prefer it to having to commute. Adds nearly 2 hours to my day--plus I hate the a-holes I work with anyway. I don't count on work for my social interaction. Never really have been that way.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
KenB said:
I could if I wanted to but there are too many distractions with my wife being home all day. Everytime I work from home she thinks it's a day off for me and that the honey do list could use some attention.
Yeah...that can be a problem. My wife sometimes thinks the same. I have to remind her I actually have work to do. Then I come here and waste more time posting..... :) It is nice being able to take a bike ride and do errands when I need to though. Much more flexible than when I'm in the office. People know where to find me there too easily.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Hi Kristin,
My situation is slightly different than the others in that I'm self-employed. My office is 5 metres from our bedroom and upstairs. For me, isolation isn't the problem, it's the Internet and television, especially when big sporting events like Wimbledon, the Tour and the Olympics are televised during the middle of the day. Living in Sweden means being in the same time zone as most Western European countries. As for RBR, I don't usually really start joining in until everyone else in the US is at work, like now when it's 20.15. Other than that, I love working at home. I can take a little nap whenever, go for a short lunch time ride during the summer months, I don't need to answer to anyone, and the best of it all - I get to play with my children whenever I want for how long I want. No trying to fit in an hour here or there of play time between just walking through the front door and before supper. Nothing like really seeing my children grow.
Cheers, Wayne

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,257 Posts
My supervisor recently tossed me and all my workmates out of our offices. I had a private office for fifteen straight years. It took me about two weeks to learn how to think at my home computer instead of in my office. I've also had my share of e-mail glitches between HQ and my house. I've had e-mails that have taken three whole days to make the eight mile trek between my home and my bosses!

I also get less exercise. I used to have to walk up several inclines and flights of stairs to get from my parking place to my office. The walk between my office and my supervisor's office took a good ten to fifteen minutes. Now that I work at home, I tend to work more. I used to be an inveterate clock watcher. Now I often find myself working far later than I would have when I had the office.

In general, though, I'm pretty settled in to working at home. I make sure I telephone my old workmates to keep in touch. There is considerably less wear and tear on myself and my automobile. I poke my head into the office perhaps once a week at most. I even get my paycheck mailed to me.

Ultimately, life is better when you work at home.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
is that django in your avatar? remember the old looney tunes cartoons where they'd show him playing with his feet while smoking a cig?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts