Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Banned
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading about the new Sram Force group and 2007 updated Campy Record

Anyone already planning to buy one?

planning to get as entire bike or groupo only?

Which is most interesting?

Would you plan to buy in store, on-line, or thru catalog?

I got the new DuraAce 10-speed when it first came out and still love it
but both these sound super nice in the writeups and teasers

· Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
collectorvelo said:
I have been reading about the new Sram Force group and 2007 updated Campy Record

IF I get a new gruppo, it'll probably be the SRAM stuff. I rode New Success back when it was out and loved it!

M

· Registered
246 Posts
collectorvelo said:

Depending on price, I might switch from the DuraAce 10 to the new Sram Force. I have heard conflicting prices for the group. My LBS says it will be around $1200-$1300 for the group. It is is much over that, I will pass. I really like the what I am reading and the looks of the new group. I have ridden Suntour AR, Campy Nuovo Record, Veloce 9, Centaur 10, Chorus 9, Record 8, 9, and 10, Ultegra 9 and 10, and DuraAce 10. I have quite a diversity of experience of road components, so I am willing to give something new a try.

· Registered
602 Posts
I'm over a year into Dura Ace 10

And love it. No complaints at all (except for a couple incidents with my chain early on). That being said, if I was building up a new bike I'd really consider the new SRAM group. Just remember that at this point, however, you'd be the guinnea pig on the new SRAM stuff.

· Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
The pipe dream is to build up a new bike with lots of aluminum so I'm going for the SRAM Rival.

· BrooklynVelo
1,426 Posts
mr meow meow said:
Just remember that at this point, however, you'd be the guinnea pig on the new SRAM stuff.
I'd rather be on first gen SRAM than any other brand. When tehy came outt with the X series trigger shifters a few years ago I jumped right on board and never had a problem. The R&D group at SRAM really does their job right and things come out with very few bugs.

· Beetpull DeLite
12,769 Posts
I'd go with either SRAM Rival or Campy Centaur with a Chorus crankset (it's prettier). Shimano's gone all ugly and I've always liked SRAM stuff - I like the silver colour of the Rival rather than the black Force. I don't need the best.

· Banned
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
interesting comparison

GirchyGirchy said:
I'd go with either SRAM Rival or Campy Centaur with a Chorus crankset (it's prettier). Shimano's gone all ugly and I've always liked SRAM stuff - I like the silver colour of the Rival rather than the black Force. I don't need the best.

would you prefer to have the Rival from a bike shop
or the Force from a web store
if they were the same price?

· Registered
1,872 Posts
I bought a Scott CR1 on a ridiculous deal ($1500) with Shimano 105, with the idea of replacing the parts for something nicer. If I was buying now, I'd get DA10, but I'm holding out to see how the new Campy and SRAM turn out. Any idea when I'll be able to buy them online or at a dealer? Local dealer just guesses late summer (although I'd heard earlier for SRAM). I don't really like the look for most of the SRAM stuff (based on pictures), but it would be cool to have something new and different--and I agree with the statements about SRAM doing things right. Worst complaint I've read about is total inability to feather the front derailleur.

· Registered
1,872 Posts
Ya, once I see reviews on the new Campy, I've thought I'd consider the 2006 stuff since they're changing the shifters and cranks substantially (and brakes on Record, i think) and ought to have big sales on 2006. Although I bet 11speed.com is probably already cheaper than clearance prices will be many places.

· Registered
180 Posts
I got to play with a Colnago with a Force group on Saturday. I love the Force shifters/brake levers. With that said, it wasn't good enough to make me want to ditch my DuraAce 10 group. When my DA starts to go, I'll have to give the Force group some serious consideration though. Luckily, I probably have a few years of use left on my DA group.

I prefer Shimano to Campy. I do not like the way the ergolevers fit my hands. Functionally, Campy's great though. So I probably won't bother to look at Campy.

Finally, I am getting a new frame today, so if I do upgrade, it will probably be the group only... and I would get it from my LBS and not online. The LBS has great prices most of the time, the mechanics are awesome and they treat me really well. I would rather reward them for their awesome service than save a few bucks. Plus, I suck at wrenching, so they would have to install everything for me anyway.

· Registered
1,872 Posts
I like the look of the new SRAM levers, too--as long as you're not looking at them from the front. I'm sure having it lean out (well) beyond the outer edge of the handlebar makes shifting convenient and ergonomic, but it sure makes the levers look bent or twisted. I'm sure it doesn't help durability in a crash or fall, either. Despite the outer bend, I think they're the best looking piece of the new group. Whoever picked the gold or champagne color for chainrings was definitely thinking mid-80s. The brakes are terrible looking. Pretty indifferent about the derailleurs, cassette and chain--they all are OK. One thing about it--if I go with the SRAM group, I'll be getting Zero Gravity brakes.

I just switched from Campy to Shimano--and actually miss the feel of the Campy hoods. To each their own!

· Registered
42 Posts
Waiting on SRAM Rival stuff to get here and then going to try it out on my 06 Allez Comp. I didn't see the point in putting Force on a mid-level aluminum frame. If the SRAM stuff is all it's cracked up to be then perhaps my next bike will have Force on it. We'll see...for now, I'm pretty pumped about trying out the Rival stuff!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.