Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
L2H has from time to time expressed interest in NNCing with me. I have reservations about it because I wouldn't be able to live with myself if she got hit by a car and seriously hurt or something along those lines.

Are my feelings irrational? Anyone ever felt this way about this situation.

Suck it, wildebeest!

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
Irrational...not entirely.

You must make it clear at the beginning of each ride if this is a nice easy ride where talking will happen, or if you will be dropping her (or she drops you) at the first chance.

When they get hurt, just be as kind as you normally are, and you'll be fine.

·
No hero that's understood
6,100 Posts
I wish Mrs. q_and_a would ride with me. She's a runner and has no interest whatsoever in things with wheels.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
scotty, she can come ride with me.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
My wife expressed interest in doing some riding, mainly easy rides or rides to the movie theaters, etc. She had no interest at all in serious road riding. So we got her a Giant hybrid and had some fun. I didn't feel what you're feeling, but when we ride together (which hasn't been since before she got pregnant last year) I did sort of ride like she was my kid. Always kept her in front, took responsibility for calling out cars, turns, etc.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts

·
I want a Road Bike :)
4,111 Posts
Im very scared but yesterday I invited Teh Wife to NNC and to my surprise she accepted...

she walked 80% of the trail... rode 15% and eat dirt the other 5%

she had fun and maybe we'll repeat it the next weekend...

Pix or didn't happen...

·
Super Moderator
19,485 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:
L2H has from time to time expressed interest in NNCing with me. I have reservations about it because I wouldn't be able to live with myself if she got hit by a car and seriously hurt or something along those lines.

Are my feelings irrational? Anyone ever felt this way about this situation.

Suck it, wildebeest!
NNC-ing with the SO is a good thing. If she crashes you'll be the one to give her mouth to mouth, not "Mr January".

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Not skeered at all

But then I was also not skeered about going to motorcycle track days, rally school or kung fu school with her either. I do admit to a bit of regret when she dropped my YZF (and herself) at a trackday and ground her knuckles down a little, but it was nothing that I couldn't feel better about by getting her a really good set of gloves to replace the crap ones she was wearing when she threw the bike down (in a low-speed turn, thankfully).

I'm pretty lucky that she's so athletic and action-oriented. We don't just go for the occasional ride, we train together (for what, we're never sure, but it's more like training than just riding). That said, if all she wanted to do was go for 5-mile rides at 10mph, I'd still go. Get L2H into the proper safety gear (basically a good helmet) and go for it. She's not really more likely to get hurt than you were as a noob--unless she's really reckless or ADD or something.

Oh, and welcome to the world of people who care about something besides themselves. Just don't forget that her satisfaction with life is at least as important as your urge to protect her.

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
just start easy. drive to a nice MUT somewhere on a non-crowded day. take a picnic and low expectations. let her lead. refrain from giving advice every 30 seconds. etc.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,225 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:

The longer you are together, the more likely you will be to almost kill her by your own stupid actions. That is true on the bike or off. So think about that if you want to worry about living with something.

Treat her like an adult who can make her own decisions and take care of herself. Or do you think she can't ride a bike without getting messed up, even though you can?

Life is full of risks, take them together whenever you can.

·
Master debator.
8,761 Posts
Rode 50+ miles yesterday in the searing heat with my significant other. She didn't quite make the 17% hill on her Trek hybrid, but she didn't hydrate properly beforehand or during. I do try and coach her ocassionally, and when she doesn't do something I tried to tell her, and she suffers because of it I just look at her and say "huh, go figure"
That's why we go on my easy days, so if I have to circle around and wait or the pace is slow it doesn't bother me, in fact sometimes it's nice looking around.

·
Boobies!
8,163 Posts
Creakyknees said:
just start easy. drive to a nice MUT somewhere on a non-crowded day. take a picnic and low expectations. let her lead. refrain from giving advice every 30 seconds. etc.
What he said!

Don't do what my pal did--took his wife out for a first ride through London traffic on a hot day-completely horrifying. And he offered lots of advice.

She hasn't expressed an interest since.

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
Mrs Chain is the one who got me into road riding.

We ride well together, unless it's a long climb then she can leave me anytime she wants.

Downhill it's an even match.

She gets a nice draft from me. I don't get much of a draft behind her.

Skeered? Not at all.

HTFU

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
No...

I wouldn't be scared like that, but, I think it works best for me that I NNC, and she NN...Crochets? Gardens?

Though, honestly, she's totally fearless, I think the Girl would be a better descender than Yours Truly. When she's seen X-games, etc, DH MTB, her eyes light up way more than watching us silly spandex-clad boys go around in circles.

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
I took my girlfriend on one ride to the local shreds. She was gassed before we even made it up the paved climb to the trailhead. Apparently that is reason enough for her to never, ever, ever go riding with me again and it's my fault.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:
Are my feelings irrational?
Yes. Not because you worry about the possibilities, because you're considering trying to prevent her enjoying something that you enjoy based on risks that you take yourself. She probably wouldn't be too happy if something happened to you either but she apparently doesn't use that as a reason to try to stop you. But you probably shouldn't listen to me, I'm not married. :D

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
My wife and I go on what we call 'urban assault' rides. She has a descent mountain bike she rides and I use my mountain bike and we just ride around the hood and along some bayous. She also has a road bike but doesn't really enjoy that at all because we don't really talk during those. I am not afraid of her getting hurt or anything when we ride.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts