Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got home today from work and check my online statement looking to by mounts for my Garmin. I noticed a bill for close to $200 dollars from HP home store. I called my bank and they said that I needed to call the store and get some information from them. So I called up HP gave them my information. Turns out someone placed an order for a hard drive or something with them using my credit card, name, address, cell phone number but used a different e-mail address and shipping address. Luckily I didn't have enough to cover the cost and the charge was declined and should be gone in a couple of days. But now I have to make a police report, call my bank and report my card stolen and get a new one. This really sucks!

·
Frog Whisperer
40,923 Posts
happened to me 2 weeks ago, the card company called me to report suspicious activity!

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
Geez there is more and more of this every day.

Really getting out of hand. Sorry for the troubles, agm.

Not long ago I had some "suspicious activity" on my bank card which they caught. Apparently, thieves run programs against bank cards where they just choose masses of random numbers and see what sticks.

Your issue however, is more serious. They had your name, addy, and phone number.

If'n I was you I'd be contacting all three credit reporting agencies and attaching a credit watch alert with them. They will do it. That way, if anyone (even you) tries to obtain credit using your name, you will be notified. Important you do this, as if the thieve(s) have that much info on you, they could try and pull out a line of credit in your name.

·
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Creakyknees said:
another good reason to carry very high balances on your cards.
It seems to be working out I still have to go in and file some paperwork at the bank, but the funny thing is because I had such a low balance on my card (college student income) that the purchase was declined. Because I caught it before I deposited more money the charge should go away after a few days. I still reported the card stolen and a new card is on the way.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
ahhhh a prepaid card. I forget the correct name for those but they're a good idea for people starting out, repairing credit etc. when / if my kids get plastic, that's what they're getting.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My debit # was stolen a few weeks ago, I caught it before the bank did, they said 'someone probably just entered the wrong # and it should clear itself up in a couple days' 8am the next morning I got a call because of suspicious activity. Everything straightened itself out.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
happened to me 2 weeks ago, the card company called me to report suspicious activity!
Same thing happened to me....thanks, Discover! It was amazing how simple it was to fix - new CC number, no charges showed up on the bill and I never paid a cent of them, even temporarily.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
agm2 said:
So I got home today from work and check my online statement looking to by mounts for my Garmin. I noticed a bill for close to $200 dollars from HP home store. I called my bank and they said that I needed to call the store and get some information from them. So I called up HP gave them my information. Turns out someone placed an order for a hard drive or something with them using my credit card, name, address, cell phone number but used a different e-mail address and shipping address. Luckily I didn't have enough to cover the cost and the charge was declined and should be gone in a couple of days. But now I have to make a police report, call my bank and report my card stolen and get a new one. This really sucks!
Funny you should mention this.

My credit union mailed me over 1 month ago they were issuing new cards.

New card NEVER came in the mail. I finally called them up-they overnighted a new card with different CVV, different number, different experation date--and blocked the old old card and the new anti-fraud card which never came.

Be advised-I was warned by a CU rep that thei IT system is such, with a gaping flaw--a new card and an old card could still be used simultaneously--that is, the different experation dates did not matter. FUBAR.

Fortunately no problems on my account that I have seen.

·
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's a little update. I went in Saturday and filled out the affidavit for the bank so they could dispute it if need be. I'm glad I did because I had forgotten about overdraft charges, which I have over 200 dollars worth now. So now I'm sitting on a huge negative in my account which hopefully will be waived once they do their investigation. The only upside is working as a server I'm able to survive because I walk with my tips at the end of the night, otherwise I wouldn't have any money whatsoever.

·
Clear Lake, TX
3,269 Posts
agm2 said:
Here's a little update. I went in Saturday and filled out the affidavit for the bank so they could dispute it if need be. I'm glad I did because I had forgotten about overdraft charges, which I have over 200 dollars worth now. So now I'm sitting on a huge negative in my account which hopefully will be waived once they do their investigation. The only upside is working as a server I'm able to survive because I walk with my tips at the end of the night, otherwise I wouldn't have any money whatsoever.
That's good and bad news, but hopefully it will get cleaned up quickly.

Two good thing for you were that you:
1.) found out quickly, and
2.) you didn't have much balance for them to work with.

Being somewhat cash poor (like me) does have it's advantages. At least there's something positive to make up for the down side... I don't have much to steal!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had $1100 pulled out of my account last year. Bank called me up and told me about it. Bank charged me $30 to get it back, but that is peanuts compared to $1100. It's scary to know they can do something like that.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
I'll bet there's some security leak on the net. Today, I went to the Kona website (http://www.konaworld.com/index_na.htm) and when I clicked on the link for road bikes, it took me to a completely different site, like the ones you get when you type something wrong in the address. Might be server based. Or it could be a leak in firefox, as that is what I was using when I went there.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
That happened to me years ago when I first moved to Memphis. Someone who worked at an auto parts store stole my CC from the computer system there and charged a bunch of stuff in the same store. Talk about dumb. Between my CC company and the parts store GM and chain RM, I got my money refunded and the crook jailed.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Happened to me on the weekend. Really glad I check my charges online twice a month.

Some place called Adipose RX. I looked them up online, and all I could find were complaints about unauthorized charges. The person I was talking to at my card issuing bank wasn't surprised in the least. He said apparently there's enough margin in it for them, even though they're caught and blacklisted right away anymore.

So now I'm getting a new card/account and the other one's closed. It's a pain in the arse to deal with all the automatic charges and get everything changed, but it's better than getting robbed.

Second time in two years.

·
It's not easy being green
314 Posts
Me too

Just got done with two weeks of hell with mine and my husbands debit cards getting hacked. After a total of over $5000 in charges that all cleared we are finally right again. We were told that fake cards were made with our numbers after being put into a reader by someone. I will never give anyone my debit card again. We go to the same places over and over and we have our suspects. A police report was filed (we are both cops) and the cool thing is I got one guys e-mail on an order and the big charge (4300) the buyer was asked for his driver's license that the merchant happily gave my bank. A couple of subpoenas and hopefully we can find a suspect. The readers are becoming more and more common. I have to say that Wachovia bank has been awesome in fixing everything.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Any of you order from British bike retailers(PBK, Ribble, Wiggle, etc)?

This has happened to a bunch of folks, at different retailers, all in the British Isles.

Mine was stolen right after an order at Ribble, a friend's right after an order at PBK.

I would suggest running Malwarebytes and Spybot on your computers. The downloads are free.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
zmudshark said:
Any of you order from British bike retailers(PBK, Ribble, Wiggle, etc)?

This has happened to a bunch of folks, at different retailers, all in the British Isles.

Mine was stolen right after an order at Ribble, a friend's right after an order at PBK.

I would suggest running Malwarebytes and Spybot on your computers. The downloads are free.
Given how (relatively) primitive ecommerce is over in the UK, it's more likely that an employee is stealing the card numbers (since they may not be very well protected) than it is that you have a malware problem.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts