Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
to make sure i never cut the wrong length.. i pretty much set it up how id want it... with the stem and spacers on.... then i take a BLUE sharpie/ permanent marker..and literally draw my line super thick on the fork. take everthing off and then start cuttin!.... no way to mess that up .... unless im blind or my hand slipps

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure I understand your question.

I took off my old fork, headset, spacers, and stem to install my new fork and headset. I put the new fork and headset on the first time, neglecting to include the stack height of the stem. So I put the stem on and re-marked my cut.

I cut the original line, so now the top of the fork sits flush with my headset, leaving absolutely no room for my stem.

/I can ride my bike with no handlebars. no handlebars. no handlebars.
//STILL REALLY FCKING PISSED AT MYSELF. [email protected]*#&$

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
iliveonnitro said:
@*(#&$*&^%*[email protected]#&^$*@&^#%)!*(@$#(*@&#$

I need to rant.

I just cut my fork after measuring 3 times. The first time I messed up but the last 2 were the correct length.

Guess which one I accidentally cut?

UUUUGGHHH I just threw away a brand new $200 fork. There goes 2 weeks of paycheck. GD IT!
Could be worse...it coulda been a custom-painted Colnago Star fork ($800+)...ask Fixed...:D

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
A manager at a bike shop that I used to work at did that to a Reynolds Ouzo Pro. I think that I injured myself, holding in a laugh.

I've always measured 6 times and then cut two inches too long.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
iliveonnitro said:
Oh yeah, just cause this is my own thread and I can add to the rant...

I also lost my garmin edge 305 about 4 days ago during a ride. That's like $450 wasted in half a week.
I accidentally left my Polar S720i on the ground a year ago during Ride the Rockies. Luckily one of the sherpa dudes found it when cleaning up the camp area. I eventually got it back.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Garmin edge 305 ........That's nuttin'.
last week while on a group training ride, I floated over some pot holes and had a waterbottle eject it'self. After the ride, I drove back to pick it up....(Hey!, the bottle had our team's logo on it). If I would have lost that baby, I would have been really down.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
thedips said:
actually i think calfee can repair it... if its carbon.... he can attach an extension? just thinking out loud......
probably for not less than $200.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Ouch!

Sorry man. That sucks!

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
that's what ebay's for. just measure the amount of steerer tube left and post it; someone with a smaller headtube etc will buy it. You can probably pick up a decent replacement there for a lot less than $200. I bought a profile aero ACD fork for my TT bike for $65 new on ebay (retails for $400).

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.