Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my in-box informs me that it will be steady out of the SW this afternoon at 30 mph, gusting to 45. I can only assume that somewhere along the line, that will require me to drag out my chainsaw to clean up or clear a path. I was so hoping for a ride this afternoon.......maybe I can have someone pick me up 40 miles NE of here...

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
i thought you were gonna talk about riding in this.

the tree next to the bedroom which hasnt touched the house in two years decided last night to remind me it is there. all night.
i trim this thing every spring.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
weltyed said:
i thought you were gonna talk about riding in this.

the tree next to the bedroom which hasnt touched the house in two years decided last night to remind me it is there. all night.
i trim this thing every spring.
makes the wind on Saturday look like a gentle breeze...and it just now starting to really kick up....

·
Registered
420 Posts
No kidding. On my ride into work this morning I almost got blown over a few times. Its always nice when you feel like you are riding up an 8% grade on a flat road... At least in Wisconsin we get some breaks from the wind. The riding and weather has been beautiful for the last week or so.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
batman1425 said:
No kidding. On my ride into work this morning I almost got blown over a few times. Its always nice when you feel like you are riding up an 8% grade on a flat road... At least in Wisconsin we get some breaks from the wind. The riding and weather has been beautiful for the last week or so.

HUH?????? what part of WI are you in......in my part it has been windy and wet for the last 2 days...was in Illinois saturday and last week was windy too.....

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'm in Madison. Day before yesterday I went for a nice 40 mile ride. It was a little windy but not too bad... Bit of a slog heading south but holding 25+ on the flats on my way back north. Last week we had some rain here and there, but otherwise it seemed nice here? Where are you located?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Winds are mountain training for us flatlanders, but 30 - 45mph is ridiculous. Last Saturday my daughter and I went for a ride, on the way back we were doing 25 - 30mph and I NEVER ride at that speed. Don't ask our speed on the way out.

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
2,799 Posts
I WAS going to ride to work this morning but since work is NW of where I live the though of riding home in that wasn't all that appealing.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
batman......I am 7 miles north of waterloo

·
Registered
452 Posts
I live in Grafton (about 20 miles north of Milwaukee). Last Thursday evening, we were hit by some incredibly powerful straight-line winds. It picked up and threw the pirate ship playhouse I built for my kids about five to ten feet (the thing weighs nearly 1000 pounds), crushing my fence. It also picked up my grill like it was a toy and threw it 30 feet in the air across the yard.

We were lucky. A guy down the street had the entire brick facade of his house ripped off.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it is scary windy out there right now that's for sure, I am guessing 30+ mph gusts. I moved my tuck into the middle of the yard so the branches on the trees over the garage wouldn't hit it (and they are falling)
I was out tossing a ball for lacey and was more than a little nervous about falling branches, I mean a one inch acorn hurts bad enough (it WILL dent a car, and DOES) a 20 to 50 pound branch coming down could kill you!

·
botanical guru
213 Posts
It's scary windy here as well. I'm in the southern Chicago burbs and we have a weather alert right now for the high winds. Was going to take the baby out in the Chariot, but forget it! That thing would be like a kite. Right now the wind at 30 38mph gusts. Yikes.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
funny visual.....flying the kid on a kite.........child protective services would be all over that.......lol

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I used to put my oldest in a snuggli put her on my back and go for a ride......try and get away with that in this day and age......she is 29 soon to be 30.....and she done good!

·
botanical guru
213 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
I used to put my oldest in a snuggli put her on my back and go for a ride......try and get away with that in this day and age......she is 29 soon to be 30.....and she done good!
That's awesome! I'm the same age- well, 30- and the stuff my parents tell me they did with us(my sister and myself) sounds absurd now. I'm fairly certain we rode in the car numerous times without a car seat........................:eek:

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
Wow, 29. That must be one big snuggli. :D (the visual is amusing)

Some friends rode from Oconomowoc to Madison (to get a Jamba Juice) last Friday. They fought about 15 mph winds on the way out. As the winds picked up at noon they did have a nice cruise home.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts