Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately i have realized there's many custom bike builders, all from Parlee, Guru, Calfee, Legend, Switch bikes etc etc(=many more) and Argonaut.

Anyone here having tried 2013 Guru Photon and 2013 Argonaut?

·
Burnum Upus Quadricepus
2,017 Posts
Chances are slim to none that anyone will own bikes from both because, as the British say, they're as different as chalk and cheese.

Argonaut is a very small shop (one man, Ben, last I knew) who makes only made-to-measure, built-to-specification bikes. There is no model year because there is no model. Every bike is different. There is no dealer network. Every bike is sold direct and all interaction is through Ben.

Guru is a small manufacturer employing many people. While the bikes are made-to-measure, you choose from a few models that are then sized to you. Stock options are available as well. Interaction is through the dealer network.

These two business models appeal to two different types of cyclist. That's why I doubt you'll find one person who owns bikes from both outfits.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chances are slim to none that anyone will own bikes from both because, as the British say, they're as different as chalk and cheese.

Argonaut is a very small shop (one man, Ben, last I knew) who makes only made-to-measure, built-to-specification bikes. There is no model year because there is no model. Every bike is different. There is no dealer network. Every bike is sold direct and all interaction is through Ben.

Guru is a small manufacturer employing many people. While the bikes are made-to-measure, you choose from a few models that are then sized to you. Stock options are available as well. Interaction is through the dealer network.

These two business models appeal to two different types of cyclist. That's why I doubt you'll find one person who owns bikes from both outfits.
Argonaut has now many stock geo's...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It seems that these custom bike companies imply that we often ride a bit too stiff bikes.
Perhaps so much that the bikes are overly engineered towards super stiff.
Talking to a dealer over here which sold Parlee but not any more. He also (biker/ seller) told me he went from Z3 to the stiffer Specialized Tarmac instead.
I ride a Foil, but i am now more and more curious of something a bit more forgiving.

Ben/ Argonaut do indeed carry stock geo bikes. Fact is i just got a spec from him with stack and reach for these.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
I've got a steel Argonaut and Ben was great to work with. Every detail of the bike was perfect including the replaceable Ti dropouts that are also featured on the carbon bikes. He'll build a carbon bike to suit a riding style and rider.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.