Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know saddle comparisons are kind of annoying, but...I'm going to do it anyway. Can anyone compare an Arione to an SLR Gelflow? I've ridden an Arione for a while now, and like it, but its corners were ripped from two lay-downs, and a friend made an offer, so I sold it.

Now I'm back on my standard - an SLR XP. Nice enough, but numbness inducing on the long long haul, or in the cold. Do the cutouts on the Gelflow make a difference? Does it feature much more padding than the XP, without too much circulation blockage? I prefer the Arione to the SLR XP, but am wondering if I would prefer the Gelflow to the Arione. Thanks!

Oh - I would also consider the SLK or SLK Gelflow, or Selle San Marco Rever.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I have a regular SLR and have used and XP. I now have a gel flow. There is minimal but sufficient padding over the XP. The cut out makes a difference for me long distance.

At first I had doubts because of the stitching but left it on the bike. Very satisfied with the gel flow after several k miles. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Funny, I just swapped my Flite Gel flow for an Arione.

It's a great saddle, just didn't agree with my sitbones. I can't compare it to the Arione yet, but I did demo a Toupe, and it was everything I wanted in a saddle.....except price.

The cut out did seem to make a difference. I could..y'know..take a leak right after getting off the bike. Something I can't say about other saddles I've used.

·
Registered
49 Posts
saddles are very personal...

well i have used the arione and the slr xp gelflow and I prefer the slr for long rides. The arione is comfy for me for less than 2 hrs but the padding causes saddle sores and pressure spots. The slr xp gelflow feels a bit hard on the first hour but seem to 'warm up' and become more comfy as the ride progresses. One thing abt the arione for me is that it seesm to go bad after a few mths of usage but the slr gelflow, like all selle italia saddles, tend to get better with age like good wine. I had a 2 yr old slr xp gelflow which was so nicely broken in that I could sit on it on a trainer with no tights for more than an hour. It finally gave way and I bought a new one recently.

Disclaimer: The above account is for my bum and various bums might have different results...

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I rode for two or three hours today on the SLR, and quickly went out and bought another Arione. Err...I bought a Flite for a friend who wants to get rid of his Arione in exchange for a Flite. (Geez, sure is nice having a whole team from which to draw, eh?) I'd still like to try the Gelflow, Aspide, SLK... Etcetera. The Arione works, and I know it, so I think I'll stick with it for now and stop looking for reasons to buy new gear!:)

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
Downshift said:
Funny, I just swapped my Flite Gel flow for an Arione.

It's a great saddle, just didn't agree with my sitbones. I can't compare it to the Arione yet, but I did demo a Toupe, and it was everything I wanted in a saddle.....except price.

The cut out did seem to make a difference. I could..y'know..take a leak right after getting off the bike. Something I can't say about other saddles I've used.
I have a Toupe and a SLR Gel Flow. I recently got the SLR for my fixed gear after trying to find a saddle that was as close to my Toupe as possible but for less money. These saddles are pretty similar in fit for me. The Toupe has a firmer seat but flexes. The SLR has a slightly more padded seat. I prefer a firm, narrow saddle with a cutout and both of these have been comfortable for me (I have the narrow Toupe).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I love my Arione. Best saddle I've ridden over 30+ years. It even gets better the more it breaks in.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I use an SLR XP for my everyday rides and rides less than a century and I'm very happy with it (usually!) It does get a little painful on the longer rides, esp. early season and if I forget to stand up every ten mnutes or so.

I used an Arione last year for about a month, including a double century I did where I experienced some scary numbness later in the ride (but I probably would have with other saddles as well- 10 hours is a long time on anything that small!) It's a fine saddle but I took it back because I didn't find myself using all that extra "room" the back of the saddle provides.

I just picked up an SLR gelflow for my centuries and such. I've used a borrowed gelflow on 50 milers and it worked just fine. Plus, a riding partner of mine used the gelflow for the double century last year with zero complaints. I think the gelflow is a good option for what it is-- a narrow, racing saddle that's pretty lightweight and not overly plush.

If you're looking for something softer, the Aliante is very nice but way overpriced for its weight in my opinion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts