Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anything to do there? I'm scheduled for a week of training in mid-November.....

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm gotta go look at a map...

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
oh.....bout 137 miles, but like 60 from rockford (1/2 way)

you going to be there over a weekend?

dates?

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
pretty much.... no.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
actually, i have no idea.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Lol. It's got a decent "downtown" area with a couple good bars and restaurants and a movie theater. For a suburb, it's got a pretty decent NNC scene. I think their club is pretty sizeable, and they throw a nice swap meet every April. There's a neat public library, and depending where in town you are, you'll only be 10 minutes from Woodfield Mall, one of the largest in the country. If you're into that thing. Will you be sans vehicle, and if so, where are you staying? It's a mass of suburban sprawl, so the closer to the downtown the better, because if all else fails, the commuter train runs from downtown AH directly to downtown Chicago. Also, if you're into NNC, there's this:

Basically, there's worse places to stay in the Chicago area.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
there are enough of us close enough to MAKE something to do!

edit: remembering we ride the same size bike right?

·
Proud luddite
7,190 Posts
It's been about 20 years since I've been there, but isn't that enormous horse racing facility in Arlington Heights? I remember it being pretty impressive and a lot of fun. My first wife and I were standing next to a horse that was chewing on some grass and he sneezed on us. It turned her white shirt into a white shirt with green dots all over it. We put $2 down on a trifecta and won it, about $80! I think that was the only time I've ever won on the horses.

·
Quiet, daddy's drinking
5,887 Posts

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
you will be down the road from where i work, in deerfield. if you are here over a weekend we can get a ride in. just be sure to bundle up.

where in arlington heights will you be? car or not?

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll be at the Wingate on S. Arlington Heights road (no choice on that, wouldn't be my first pick, but....) No car. Coming in on Monday 11/15, and leaving on the 19th. Training is scheduled for 8-4 T-Th, and 8-10:30 or so on Friday, but I can come in on the early side on Monday and leave late on Friday if that works for anybody....

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
hmmmmmm.......the biggest problem is the drive home...it make's "drunk and disorderly" that much harder to do!

Training huh........there are some that thought I was trainable too.......just saying

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
that is right near busse woods.

saf-t said:
I'll be at the Wingate on S. Arlington Heights road (no choice on that, wouldn't be my first pick, but....) No car. Coming in on Monday 11/15, and leaving on the 19th. Training is scheduled for 8-4 T-Th, and 8-10:30 or so on Friday, but I can come in on the early side on Monday and leave late on Friday if that works for anybody....

·
Registered
800 Posts
I recommend making friends with someone in your classes that has a car and head downtown Chicago. Your options are limited in Arlington Hts, and endless downtown.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What kills me is that the former training location was conveniently located next to a blue line station. By comparison, this place seems like being in Siberia (no offense to the locals)

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
no....siberia would be more like WI in January

1 - 17 of 17 Posts