Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do the arm and leg warmers work? I am worried that they might not hold well and slip down the arm and leg? They are starting to go on sale and I am thinking about picking up a set for next year if they actually work. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
limit screwed
806 Posts
They absolutely work; they are made of stretchy lycra that is thicker than most jerseys and shorts. They also have elastic bands at each end; I rode 80 miles yesterday and my legwarmers didn't budge. I have thin arms, so the arm warmers tend to let loose at the top and slide down a bit, but I'm not so fussy that it bothers me. They're easy to adjust on the bike.

I use Descente warmers, btw. The leg warmers have a nice zipper near the ankle.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
I've been using those for years now and never had any problems. You don't want them too tight, because a large part of their usefulness and fun is that you can take them off while on the bike. Learn how to do arm warmer take-offs before you attempt to remove leg warmers at speed. The prerequisite is rock-steady no-hands riding.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
The wool ones from Rivendell are killer

I've never liked them much because they didn't fit well and weren't very warm, which sort of defeats the purpose. Last year I bought a set of wool 'warmers from Rivendell, replacing the cheesy polyester ones I had, and they're a whole different experience. Personally, I wouldn't waste my money on the usual poly ones, but the woolies are great.

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
Warmers.

You have to know what you are getting. Some warmers are made of jersey material. Others are fleece lined. The lined ones are a bit more expensive, but warmer. Arm/leg warmers are a gret addition to your cycling gear. When it gets too warm, take 'em off, roll 'em up, and into the jersey pocket they go!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool..Thanks everyone! I am going to pick up a set. I think I am leaning more toward the fleece lined set. My only worry was that they would be too warm. But I will just have to perfect the steady no-hands riding warmer shedding technique. :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
BUNCH99 said:
Cool..Thanks everyone! I am going to pick up a set. I think I am leaning more toward the fleece lined set. My only worry was that they would be too warm. But I will just have to perfect the steady no-hands riding warmer shedding technique. :)
In a pinch, you can use one hand at a time to roll your arm warmers down to the wrist if they get too hot. Then, if it gets cool again, you can roll them back up without having to fish them out of a pocket.

Cheers,
Ari

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Suggestion before you buy. If you can get DeFeet armwarmers, buy them. Bestest ones out there IMHO and good for a wide range of temps (don't get too hot and keep you warm down to below 50f.). easy to remove, too.

·
Daylight Fading
1,902 Posts
i too have been down this road

I am a big fan of layering. I have leg, arm and knee warmers. I have leg and arm warmers in mid- and heavy- weights for Fall/Spring and Winter riding. If you go with the heavy weight ones, get zippered ankles, they're much easier to get on and off. BTW, because the zipper can catch leg hairs, it gives you the long sought after and ever elusive REASON to keep shaving your legs in the Winter.

BT

·
Registered
399 Posts
They work. They're for cool weather, not cold. Get a pair with a kink in the knee- they're more comfortable. Tuck them into your shorts and they shouldn't fall down.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
BUNCH99 said:
Do the arm and leg warmers work? I am worried that they might not hold well and slip down the arm and leg? They are starting to go on sale and I am thinking about picking up a set for next year if they actually work. Thanks in advance for your help.
They work AND they rock. Since getting 'em 5 years ago or so, I've all but given up on tights or long sleeved jerseys except in the coldest of weather.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
I vote yes...

especially if you are on more geologically diverse regions.... last year in the triple bypass, there was temperature variations of some.... 35 degrees between the top of Loveland and the finish at Vail.... or whereever that was. Its good when you start in the morning and want to peel off and not have to take a jacket or whatever.

·
Daylight Fading
1,902 Posts
And next you should be asking about rain capes

The answer is "yas" you should get one. The answer to when to ride with it, is, any hint of rain and it's under 70 degrees outside. Any warmer and you'll sweat you left testicle off trying to wear it.

BT

·
Registered
53 Posts
Tip To Keep Leg Warmers From Slipping Down

I have a pair of PI fleece lined leg and arm warmers. They are great. Used them both in a 50 mile race at 30 degrees last Saturday.

As for them slipping, when I put on the leg warms, I roll the top down over itself one time. Then I pull down my shorts over the leg warmers. This added "lip" helps them to stay in place.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
That's because the PI stuff doesn't really have much of grippers.

Castelli, Bergamo, Assos, Descente, etc., all stay up much better.

And as for the rain capes -- eyebob, I dunno, I've got to disagree. I really see no point to them, unless you're heading up into the mountains and then there's a descent coming or something. You're going to get wet one way or the other; you just need to make sure you've got enough core insulation.

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,158 Posts
BUNCH99 said:

sliced bread

·
Registered
274 Posts
BUNCH99 said:
if they did not work then you would not see every cyclist using them :confused: :( :(

They are just like any other article of clothing. If you buy too big of a size then they might not fit well.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
fit

If you're even a little handy with a sewing machine (or even a needle and thread --just takes longer) yuo can make them fit better. I tailor a lot of my cycling clothes for a better fit, especially jerseys and tights. Anybody else out there do that?

·
Registered
19 Posts
JCavilia said:
If you're even a little handy with a sewing machine (or even a needle and thread --just takes longer) yuo can make them fit better. I tailor a lot of my cycling clothes for a better fit, especially jerseys and tights. Anybody else out there do that?

No..but now we know where to send them!:)

Nate

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
You can't afford me!

paco_finn said:
No..but now we know where to send them!:)

Nate
!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts