Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone's arms (triceps or biceps or shoulder) get tired from riding on bumpy roads? My arms are really weak now, that may be the reason.
(I use 23 and 25mm tires at 110psi, standard wheels,aluminum bike.)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yep. Your arms will get used to it, as in gain strength. This Monday I had a 31 mile ride, with lots of hills, in very sunny, little or no shade, 100+ degrees weather. I felt as if I worked out my arms and back more than my legs. I still felt it till today. But I'm a weekend rider, at least right now.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
My delts really ache during a long ride > 60 miles. They are only sore/achey during the ride. The minute I get off the bike thry're fine. If anyone knows of an exercise that would help prevent this, please post it here, or send me a PM.

·
Registered
378 Posts
juicemansam said:
Yep. Your arms will get used to it, as in gain strength. This Monday I had a 31 mile ride, with lots of hills, in very sunny, little or no shade, 100+ degrees weather. I felt as if I worked out my arms and back more than my legs. I still felt it till today. But I'm a weekend rider, at least right now.
I thought it was somewhat unfitting for a person with 255 posts to tell the OP with 1134 posts that he will get used to it.:D

·
Domokun!
476 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
My delts really ache during a long ride > 60 miles. They are only sore/achey during the ride. The minute I get off the bike thry're fine. If anyone knows of an exercise that would help prevent this, please post it here, or send me a PM.
Take a dumbbell in both hands. Start with your arms straight out in front of your nose, bells facing each other. One arm at a time, go down slowly to your thigh while rotating the dumbbell down towards the floor. Complete the rep by rotating back up to starting position. Continue with the other arm. I do about 10 reps per arm with a 5lb dumbbell. You can use more of less depending on your strength. I use what my wife had laying around:D

Can also be done with a 10lb medicine ball. Same movement with both arms holding the ball instead of isolating one arm at a time. No rotation. about 10-15 reps should suffice.

Exercise #2) Follow with arms at side lifting dumbbell parallel to the floor, just shy of even with your shoulder. No rotation needed on this exercise.

I follow these with bicep curls and triceps extensions.

Whole thing done twice a week usually on Tues/sat.

Again this is only what I do. I have not had any arm related problems, and no bulging muscles either...

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
Could be a fit or set-up problem, too.

You probably will get stronger as you ride, but arm fatigue also can be a set-up or fit problem. If your bike is sized or adjusted so you're putting a lot of weight on your arms, rather than supporting it with your butt, it can quickly lead to spaghetti arms. A shorter (horizontally) and taller stem solved the problem for me by bringing me a little more upright. An old-school test used to be to get in your normal riding position, then take your hands off the bars and see if you can hold your body where it is. If you can't, you might be putting too much weight on your arms.
As an aside, there's really no reason to run such skinny tires at such high pressure. 28s or 32s at 90-95psi might be more comfortable, and there's no downside.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
5,051 Posts
I hurt my elbow in a fall a month ago (off road MTB, what was I thinking?). I've had a real tough time riding long rides since then because my arm will start killing me after 40 miles or so. You use your arms a lot more than you think riding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.