Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Cube
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting it. mostly the right arm, with about five minutes in position on either the hoods, or less time when in the drops. clears fairly quickly but only with sitting straight up. I'm not tensing my arms and shoulders badly, but do catch myself doing so at times.

bike is a 56 fuji roubaix, and during set up, we opted for the 56 over the 54 due to leg length, and the stem flipped up as it seemed more comfortable on the trainer. I feel like having my hands down and closer a bit would feel better and relieve numbness with the shorter reach, so my first thought is flipping the stem down.

but i'm wondering if doing that with a slightly shorter stem would be a good idea, sort of counteracting the calculated risk we took with the frame being great for the legs, but maybe too big for the upper body. can't tell, just by holding on different spots on the bars if they'd need to be wider to avoid elbowknee syndrome.

obviously the first try will be the stem flip, but any input or ideas otherwise would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Arm numbness, but hands are fine?

I agree that going back to the fitter is the best option.

Can you reproduce the problem on the trainer with the bike as is? That will make it easier to find a solution on the spot with a fitter.

·
The Cube
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
when we (shop owner/fitter and I) fit the bike originally, we knew this would possibly be a problem, but I had never ridden a road bike before, so we went for initial comfort, and decided on a secondary fitting after a couple hundred road miles went by, so no fault on the fitter in my opinion.

it felt mostly good on the trainer, which is the only place I rode it for the first three plus months. this could be because it's pretty easy to sit up for a few seconds on the trainer and not change cadence or control though. but again, we were expecting possible problems of this nature. she said of course the re-fitting would be free, but I am just wanting to go into it with some good ideas.

·
OUTLAW BIKER
463 Posts
Here's a trick I was taught when first starting, and still use on any ride to this day...
Switch up grips and position frequently, meaning, every few minutes change your arm/hand positions on the bars, sit up get a breath, do a short standing cycle and so on. I find that most of the typical discomforts of cycling can be avoided. Usually when something starts to bother me its because I haven't switched round for a while. I'm not saying that you should/shouldn't re-fit your bike but if it was ok on the trainer and you said because you could sit up maybe that is all you need to get used to it.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
I'm still confused about what goes numb. Is it your fingers, hands, forearm, the whole arm, or a combination of those.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
It is likely a reach problem, meaning the bars are too far away. Given your seat is in the right place, getting a shorter stem is the most obvious fix, but you can also shorten the reach by adding spacers or flipping the stem. Hopefully the top tube is the right length for you. Insist the LBS does the right thing.

·
The Cube
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mr. Versatile said:
I'm still confused about what goes numb. Is it your fingers, hands, forearm, the whole arm, or a combination of those.
starts at the fingers and works its way up. getting re-fit tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I don't want to freak you out but it sounds like a disk problem in your neck. Being in your riding position is probably causing the disk to pinch the nerve. If this is the case ( see a doctor first to see if it is a disk problem) it could lead to permanent muscle loss.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts