Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which are better Knee Warmers or Leg Warmers? Do most of you own Arm Warmers and Leg(or Knee) Warmers? Just starting to think about the cooler/colder temps and clothing.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
I own arm warmers, both lite and normal and knee warmers. I have some wool socks that my knee warmers will cover so I have no need for leg warmers. You will want to consider a wind vest as well if you do not have one.

·
trying to HTFU...
1,875 Posts
i have:

arm warmers
knee warmers
leg warmers
fleece tights with windproof front
winter weight LS jerseys
wicking base layer
lightweight windproof shell
lightweight windproof vest
craft beanie

need:
waterproof/breathable jacket
bigger hydration pack(to carry what i take off)

i layer as needed and expect to carry what i take off.

·
Diesel Engine
898 Posts
I have arm warmers and knee warmers (DeFeet & Pearl Izumi). For days where the temps will not get warm enough to remove the warmers I wear a long sleeve jersey and bib knickers.

Another suggestion will be to get some long fingered gloves. If it gets cold enough to worry about your arms and legs you will be miserable with cold hands.

A good wind vest as previously mentioned is also recommended. For me I usually will wear a vest and arm warmers in the early fall before the knee warmers come out. As it gets colder the legs get covered up too. When it gets really cold the Lake winter shoes and the Assos winter gear come out of the closet.

·
Registered
110 Posts
trek7100 said:
Which are better Knee Warmers or Leg Warmers? Do most of you own Arm Warmers and Leg(or Knee) Warmers? Just starting to think about the cooler/colder temps and clothing.

Some of the most useful things you can buy. If you buy leg warmers, you can fold them up into knee warmers, if needed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've got arm & leg warmers in addition to my Performance Transformer Jacket of which the arms zip off for a vest w/ mesh back. The jacket folds into its back pocket with a strap, so when things heat up, I can stow the jacket into itself and also pack the arm/leg warmers in the pocket also.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,421 Posts
Both thin and heavy arm and knee warmers. No leg warmers. If it's that cold, I have thermal bib tights, that I wear over my bibs. (with this set up, there are no bathroom stops)
I also have a thermal jacket and wind vest in our team kit. The thermal bib tights, and the thin arm warmers, are just black.

·
Master debator.
8,765 Posts
I have arm warmers for cooler days, and a waterproof/breathable long sleeve jacket for the top. The jackets are really expensive, but worth it imho. Paired with a long sleeve undershirt and you're good to go for most anything. I have leg warmers and toe covers, and waterproof/wind resistant tights and shoe covers for colder rides.
Generally I wear arm warmers and leg warmers for cooler fall rides, along with toe covers. That gets me down to about 48 degrees or so. Below that it's the heavy duty stuff. Which may incluse disposable heat packs inside my full fingered gloves etc.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
My preferred gear in cooler weather is Belgian booties, heavier socks, knickers, ls jersey or ss jersey + arm warmers. Arm warmers are great since you can take them off if you get hot.

A wind vest is a GREAT investment. I have a Nalini one I got used for $20. The thing is as thin as a plastic bag but makes a huge, huge difference on cooler days. It is the difference between being happy and being miserable on a lot of days.

I also have two pairs of knickers - Assos Roubaix ones that I love (but the material around the chamois does seem to irritate my skin, unfortunately) and I picked up some heavier Capo ones that have wind protection. Got them on sale at the end of last year and haven't used them.

I own arm, leg and knee warmers. I don't like full tights. I have some PI ones that ride down the entire ride and drive me crazy. On in between days I just go with knickers over bibs + knee/leg warmers. Hot knees aren't the end of the world, right.

Knickers + wind vest are too pieces of kit I think everyone should own. And as others mentioned, wool is a great material for these, and superior to other fabrics.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Arm and knee warmers here. If it's cold enough to need leg warmers, I'm wearing tights. If it's cold enough that the knee warmers aren't coming off, I'm wearing knickers- best invention ever.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have both knee warmers and leg warmers. I haven't put on a pair of tights in years and I ride all year round in Northern CA.

Sometimes, when it's really cold, I will run the leg warmers over the knee warmers. I really like that setup for the cold.

·
Pack Fodder.
1,871 Posts
I'm acclimated to a colder environment, so take that into consideration. I would melt in conditions that most of you ride in.

This morning it was in the mid-upper 40s (F) for my ride in. I wore a thin LS jersey over a SS jersey and my Descente Coldout (Roubaix) bibs. The LS jersey wasn't really necessary, but it was nice to have for faster descents.

I have a couple pairs of bib knickers that I wear when it's 5-10 degrees colder. This year I invested in some tights for rides in the low 30s and lower. I have arm warmers that I rarely use, a couple fleecy LS jerseys, full-fingered gloves, a fleece hat, and a soft-shell cycling jacket for cold days. When they no longer cut it, I dive into the ski gear or hit the trainer.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've been trying to find a deal on Peal Izumi's P.R.O. Thermal Bib shorts.... I have Thermal tights that I find are just too warm for many cool-weather rides... but then its too cold for regular bibs.... I figure with *thermal* bibs I could combine with either thick or thin knee warmers and have the ultimate versatility!

Anyone know where to find a good deal on these or other thermal bib shorts?

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
twiggy said:
I've been trying to find a deal on Peal Izumi's P.R.O. Thermal Bib shorts.... I have Thermal tights that I find are just too warm for many cool-weather rides... but then its too cold for regular bibs.... I figure with *thermal* bibs I could combine with either thick or thin knee warmers and have the ultimate versatility!

Anyone know where to find a good deal on these or other thermal bib shorts?
Are you sure that makes sense? Because the need to keep your knees warm comes before the need to keep your arse region warm. So if it's warm enough to want to take your knee warmers off it'll be warm enough that thermal bibs will sweat your nuts off.
There might be a reason you can't find thermal bib shorts.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Hank Stamper said:
Are you sure that makes sense? Because the need to keep your knees warm comes before the need to keep your arse region warm. So if it's warm enough to want to take your knee warmers off it'll be warm enough that thermal bibs will sweat your nuts off.
+1. If it is too cold for standard shorts, go with knee warmers or a light pair of tights. You can get tights in a wide range of thicknesses.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
anyway, OP.

It sounds like a simple question but I've found the answer isn't so simple. If it's cold as heck out and will be that way all day it's pretty much self explanatory but for that area between 25 and 55 or so with who knows what for wind and early morning starts into later when it warms up...it gets tricky.

The best I've been able to do so far is buy enough gear to insure that what's perfect is something I forgot at home so there's hope I'll get it right next time.

Just insure your knees are warm (not so much for comfort but to reduce the chance of injury) and hands and feet. But for the rest of your body, while it might suck to be too cold or warm, it really doesn't matter that much so all you can do is try. For upper body there's not a big concern with being too warm assuming you have zippers on your jersey/jacket so it's best to over shoot there.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hank Stamper said:

I'm not so sure.... I agree that from an injury-perspective the need to keep your knees warm is more important than other areas; but from a comfort-perspective, the cold wind coming through the front of my shorts can be enough to make me turn around and head back home quick on a chilly day. I agree that thermal shorts would almost always be worn with Thick knee warmers, but wouldn't they be more versitile for those mid-spring rides where you start off cold but its quite warm by the nd of the ride?? I just find that tights get too warm quickly any time its around ~10 degrees C (50F), yet its still incredibly uncomfortable on the sensitive bits at speed. Its not that thermal shorts are hard to find... its that they're hard to find cheap!.... There is a reason that the Garmin boys use 'em (the PI ones mentionned above) and the Columbia and Cervelo guys have similar shorts for the spring classics!

·
Registered
679 Posts
I consider all three to be essential, including arm warmers in several weights (from thin lycra coverings to fleece-backed fabric).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts