Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie who bought a bike from a dealer who specialized in proffesional bike fitting. After buying A $1000 bike I asked "arn't you gonna fit me?" So after some deep sighs they did some lazer measurements and put them into a computer. I thought wow this is great until he started to adjust the bike and every measurment was perfect and he didn't have to change a thing. Needless to say I've been doing my own adjustments ever since. I have gotten it alot more comfortable but still have tingling in my arms and fingers. Have been to a few other bike shops and asked them for help and have gotten a bunch of different reasons, all willing to help for $$$. My trust for bike shops is down to nill. Can anyone help to get me in the right direction so I don't get screwed again.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Tried gel padded gloves and changing hand positions frequently (every few minutes)?

These two things solved my hand numbness. Honestly, I can go without the gloves now as long as I remember to change hand positions frequently, but they do help when I get tired and forget to move my hands.

From what I understand, if your handle bar height and seat height are such that a lot of your weight is on your hands (rather than your sit bones), this will increase the numbness problem. I didn't have to make any adjustments there, so I'll leave that advice to others with more experience.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
simple2man said:
I'm a newbie who bought a bike from a dealer who specialized in proffesional bike fitting. After buying A $1000 bike I asked "arn't you gonna fit me?" So after some deep sighs they did some lazer measurements and put them into a computer. I thought wow this is great until he started to adjust the bike and every measurment was perfect and he didn't have to change a thing. Needless to say I've been doing my own adjustments ever since. I have gotten it alot more comfortable but still have tingling in my arms and fingers. Have been to a few other bike shops and asked them for help and have gotten a bunch of different reasons, all willing to help for $$$. My trust for bike shops is down to nill. Can anyone help to get me in the right direction so I don't get screwed again.
If you could post a couple of pics of you on the bike - hands on hoods, hands in the drops, that would help. Also, provide more info regarding when you feel the numbness/ tingling. How long are you riding when this happens? Where are your hands? Do you have decent bar tape/ gloves?

If you can't post pics, measure your (top of) saddle to bar drop. Also, is your saddle level or tilted up in front slightly?

·
Descender
2,213 Posts
First - go to wrenchscience.com or another website that has a fit calculator - follow directions and enter your measurements - while the answers may not be perfect they will give a close proximity of where your measurements should be.

2 nd suggestion - nobody is going to do a fit for you for free other than the place where you bought the bike - you may want to talk directly to the owner. If they will fit you again check their measurements against the website's see how close they are - if you still don't feel comfortable try adjusting your bike to the website measurements if they are off.

Third - check your form on the bike:
- are your arms slightly bent when riding?
- is your upper body relaxed when riding?

If your arms are straight and stiff this can lead to all kinds of issues.

Many more factors go into form but this is the easiest place to start

If the original bike shop does not meet your needs you should develop a relationship with another shop.

Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.