Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wait a minute, they're saying lobbying goes on in Washington? And it's legal? I'm shocked. Shocked and disturbed! Turns out politics is just as corrupt as cycling, I don't know what to believe in anymore... ='(

·
Registered
19,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wait a minute, they're saying lobbying goes on in Washington? And it's legal? I'm shocked. Shocked and disturbed! Turns out politics is just as corrupt as cycling, I don't know what to believe in anymore... ='(
In this case it didn't. Lance's attempt to disrupt the case failed.

"No congressman in his or her right mind would try to interfere with a criminal investigation."
Lance though it was like cycling, that the rules don't apply to him. Toss some money around and it is all fixed......how did that work out for him?

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Dumb question: Why is/was it disturbing?

We already know what Pharmstrong is capable of and what he has actually done. Why is this disturbing?

Is it because the article confirms yet another avenue Pharmstrong took and was willing to take?

It's obvious Pharmstrong took notes while he watched The Godfather Trilogy.

Washington is corrupted, it's filled with lobbyists. In fact, some would even argue that without lobbyists and interest groups, Washington reason to exist ends. So from this stance, it's normal business in Washington.

However, I don't believe there is a recent sport figure in history that actually tries to influence the outcome of any investigation at the federal level by playing ball directly with the people that make up the "Washington biosphere". From this point, it is disturbing because it appears that Armstrong is not just a cheat, but he's running a crime ring (of course this is not to say he was the only one, but definitely a part of the scheme).

·
Make America grope again
4,754 Posts

We already know what Pharmstrong is capable of and what he has actually done. Why is this disturbing?

Is it because the article confirms yet another avenue Pharmstrong took and was willing to take?

He did a crap job of it then. He got his hands dirty directly and left a lot of witnesses. Plus Floyd doesn't top my list of prospective loyal lieutenants.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
He did a crap job of it then. He got his hands dirty directly and left a lot of witnesses. Plus Floyd doesn't top my list of prospective loyal lieutenants.
I'm not so sure that he did a crap job. He might not have brought down Novitsky, but he somehow derailed the federal criminal investigation in Los Angeles. In early 2012, Andre Birotte, the US Attorney for the Central District of California, declined to prosecute Armstrong notwithstanding strong evidence against him. Birotte's actions made no sense in early 2012; even after Armstrong's recent confession, Birotte says that his position is unchanged. Birotte: Armstrong view unchanged after admission I am not one to subscribe to conspiracy theories, but something smells here.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts

And the fact that he admitted on Oprah that he would pretty much go to any length to keep his doping secret.

This doesn't surprise me at all.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Worked out for him pretty well for a long time.
and if he had stayed retired, he would have walked away from all this still keeping his money and hero status. Some people just don't know when to walk away from the table.

It's like a guy committing a perfect crime and getting away with it for a loong time, only to be caught because he just didn't know when to quit.

So the the scary realization is not that he got caught because he was hunted aggressively by the law or anything.., but because he didn't know when to get out.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Hamilton speculates strongly in "The Secret Race" that the criminal probe was dropped for political reasons. Prosecuting a widely admired "American Hero" during a very tight presidential race was not in the adminstration's best interests.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,985 Posts
"Mr. Caperton said the Barnes Group had no contact with the Department of Justice and couldn't remember whether senators or representatives were contacted or just staff members."

You dirty filthy liar! Oh wait, that's the highest complement for K-street...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.