Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Armstrong to drive pace car at Indy 500

<!-- end pagetitle --><!-- begin bylinebox --> INDIANAPOLIS -- Legendary cyclist Lance Armstrong will have the honor of leading the field to the start of the 2006 Indianapolis 500.
<!---------------------INLINE TABLE (BEGIN)-------------------->
<table id="inlinetable" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1" width="240"> <tbody><tr><th colspan="3" style="background-color: rgb(0, 0, 0);"><center>Indianapolis 500 pace cars, since 2000</center></th> </tr><tr style="background-color: rgb(236, 236, 236);" valign="top"> <td> 2006 </td> <td> Lance Armstrong </td> <td> Chevrolet Corvette Z06 </td> </tr> <tr style="background-color: rgb(236, 236, 236);" valign="top"> <td> 2005 </td> <td> Gen. Colin Powell </td> <td> Chevrolet Corvette </td> </tr> <tr style="background-color: rgb(236, 236, 236);" valign="top"> <td> 2004 </td> <td> Morgan Freeman </td> <td> Chevrolet Corvette C5 </td> </tr> <tr style="background-color: rgb(236, 236, 236);" valign="top"> <td> 2003 </td> <td> Herb Fishel </td> <td> Chevrolet SSR </td> </tr> <tr style="background-color: rgb(236, 236, 236);" valign="top"> <td> 2002 </td> <td> Jim Caviezel </td> <td> Chevrolet Corvette </td> </tr> <tr style="background-color: rgb(236, 236, 236);" valign="top"> <td> 2001 </td> <td> Elaine Irwin-Mellencamp </td> <td> Oldsmobile Bravada </td> </tr> <tr style="background-color: rgb(236, 236, 236);" valign="top"> <td> 2000 </td> <td> Anthony Edwards </td> <td> Oldsmobile Aurora </td> </tr> <tr style="background-color: rgb(236, 236, 236);" valign="top"> <td colspan="3">Carl G. Fisher drove the first Indy pace car -- a Stoddard-Dayton -- in 1911. Sam Hanks (1958-63) and Jim Rathmann (1969, 72-74, 78, 82) share the honor of being selected to drive the pace car six times, the most in the history of the race. </td></tr> </tbody></table> <!---------------------INLINE TABLE (END)--------------------> A seven-time winner of the Tour de France, Armstrong will drive the Chevrolet Corvette Pace Car in the May 28 event.
"We're proud that this year's Indianapolis 500 will showcase the new 505-horsepower Corvette Z06 and honored that it will be driven by another racing icon -- Lance Armstrong," Chevrolet general manager Ed Peper said.
Armstrong first beat cancer before winning the first of a record seven straight Tour de France titles in 1999. He retired following the 2005 race and continues to be a leader and activist on behalf of cancer survivors around the world.
"All I can say is that when we got a phone call to ask if I was interested in driving the Pace Car at Indy, it was a very short conversation," the 34-year-old Armstrong said. "It was like, 'Are you kidding? Of course.' It's a huge honor and something that I am very excited to do. Hopefully I cannot mess things up, if that's possible."
General Colin Powell, actor Morgan Freeman and comedian Jay Leno are among those who have driven the Pace Car at the Indianapolis 500.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Glad to see...

DIRT BOY said:
Armstrong to drive pace car at Indy 500

<!-- end pagetitle --><!-- begin bylinebox --> INDIANAPOLIS -- Legendary cyclist Lance Armstrong will have the honor of leading the field to the start of the 2006 Indianapolis 500.
<!---------------------INLINE TABLE (BEGIN)-------------------->
<table id="inlinetable" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1" width="240"> <tbody><tr><th colspan="3" style="background-color: rgb(0, 0, 0);"><center>Indianapolis 500 pace cars, since 2000</center></th> </tr><tr style="background-color: rgb(236, 236, 236);" valign="top"> <td> 2006 </td> <td> Lance Armstrong </td> <td> Chevrolet Corvette Z06 </td> </tr> <tr style="background-color: rgb(236, 236, 236);" valign="top"> <td> 2005 </td> <td> Gen. Colin Powell </td> <td> Chevrolet Corvette </td> </tr> <tr style="background-color: rgb(236, 236, 236);" valign="top"> <td> 2004 </td> <td> Morgan Freeman </td> <td> Chevrolet Corvette C5 </td> </tr> <tr style="background-color: rgb(236, 236, 236);" valign="top"> <td> 2003 </td> <td> Herb Fishel </td> <td> Chevrolet SSR </td> </tr> <tr style="background-color: rgb(236, 236, 236);" valign="top"> <td> 2002 </td> <td> Jim Caviezel </td> <td> Chevrolet Corvette </td> </tr> <tr style="background-color: rgb(236, 236, 236);" valign="top"> <td> 2001 </td> <td> Elaine Irwin-Mellencamp </td> <td> Oldsmobile Bravada </td> </tr> <tr style="background-color: rgb(236, 236, 236);" valign="top"> <td> 2000 </td> <td> Anthony Edwards </td> <td> Oldsmobile Aurora </td> </tr> <tr style="background-color: rgb(236, 236, 236);" valign="top"> <td colspan="3">Carl G. Fisher drove the first Indy pace car -- a Stoddard-Dayton -- in 1911. Sam Hanks (1958-63) and Jim Rathmann (1969, 72-74, 78, 82) share the honor of being selected to drive the pace car six times, the most in the history of the race. </td></tr> </tbody></table> <!---------------------INLINE TABLE (END)--------------------> A seven-time winner of the Tour de France, Armstrong will drive the Chevrolet Corvette Pace Car in the May 28 event.
"We're proud that this year's Indianapolis 500 will showcase the new 505-horsepower Corvette Z06 and honored that it will be driven by another racing icon -- Lance Armstrong," Chevrolet general manager Ed Peper said.
Armstrong first beat cancer before winning the first of a record seven straight Tour de France titles in 1999. He retired following the 2005 race and continues to be a leader and activist on behalf of cancer survivors around the world.
"All I can say is that when we got a phone call to ask if I was interested in driving the Pace Car at Indy, it was a very short conversation," the 34-year-old Armstrong said. "It was like, 'Are you kidding? Of course.' It's a huge honor and something that I am very excited to do. Hopefully I cannot mess things up, if that's possible."
General Colin Powell, actor Morgan Freeman and comedian Jay Leno are among those who have driven the Pace Car at the Indianapolis 500.
Glad to see that they had "Jesus" driving it one year. And Goose driving it back in 2000.

·
pass the hot sauce
196 Posts
Forget the 'vette. I want to see him do it on his bike. Nothing like a pack of cars sitting on your tail to motivate you to keep the speed up.

·
Misplaced priorities?
352 Posts
Also, it's good to see that Chevy is supplying the pace car for the Indy 500. Too bad their engines weren't powerful enough to remain competitive in the IRL.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Run1stBike2nd said:
Also, it's good to see that Chevy is supplying the pace car for the Indy 500. Too bad their engines weren't powerful enough to remain competitive in the IRL.

Too bad GM is about to go into bankruptcy.

That is pretty sweet though. Being a car enthusiast myself, I could only dream of something like that.

·
In-House Counsel
579 Posts
Run1stBike2nd said:
Wasn't it because the IRL switched to a single engine for all teams, either Honda or Toyota.

·
Have good, get give
964 Posts
mquetel said:
Forget the 'vette. I want to see him do it on his bike. Nothing like a pack of cars sitting on your tail to motivate you to keep the speed up.
Then he'd get the same treatment we all get.

HEY YOU AREN'T LANCE ARMSTRONG GET OFF THE ROAD YOU #########!!!!

oh wait...

·
Registered
949 Posts
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN.... Clip into your pedals....

As a local Indianapolis guy...and the 19th race I've been to...
The low down is that the entire field of this years 500 will be using HONDA engines.
There will also be a return of Eddie Cheever as a driver as well as Al Unser Jr.

As for Lance driving the pace car...
The VETTE better be yellow...PERIOD.
And personally I'd expect there to be a LIVESTRONG Logo added to the car as well..
Nothing huge and gaudy... just enough so that you can get a pic of Lance driving, the Livestrong logo, and the INDY 500 on the drivers side door...

PS: As for Lance doing the pace car duties on his TTX bike.... We can't let him do that, otherwise he'd have to show up for Bump Day so that he can officially make the field of 33. My money says his 4 lap average puts him on the inside of the 2nd row for race day. :D

·
Misplaced priorities?
352 Posts
CaseLawZ28 said:
Wasn't it because the IRL switched to a single engine for all teams, either Honda or Toyota.
As another poster already mentioned, Honda is the lone engine supplier to the IRL this year. However, 2 seasons ago, Chevy was getting whipped so badly by Toyota & Honda that they (Chevy) even brought in Ford to help improve their engine program.

G

·
Run1stBike2nd said:
However, 2 seasons ago, Chevy was getting whipped so badly by Toyota & Honda that they (Chevy) even brought in Ford to help improve their engine program.
Wow, talk about strange bedfellows! But Indy is about small, high rpm engines, so I'm not surprised, especially regarding Honda's dominance. Different story in Nascar though (or at least is was). I haven't been following Nascar the past 2-3 years.

As an LAF supporter, I do hope that the pace car is Yellow - and get's auctioned off to benefit the LAF.

Having had the opportunity to drive/ride in several domestic and european high performance cars all I can say is that speed (not the drug) is defintely intoxicating :) Nothing like going 155mph and having it feel like you're doing 65!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts