Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
good. I've got a serious problem with suing a guy over tactics, wise or unwise, in a bike race. Simeoni can now slither back to his well earned slot in division 3 cycling.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Fignon's Barber said:
good. I've got a serious problem with suing a guy over tactics, wise or unwise, in a bike race. Simeoni can now slither back to his well earned slot in division 3 cycling.
IIRC, that was the French case. This was about Armstrong calling him a liar when he testified that Ferrari doped him.

·
mad scientist
204 Posts
Deal maybe but more likely just common sense. Armstrong counter-sued. Since Simeoni dropped his case, what's in it for Armstrong anymore?

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
my guess is this is like Microsoft

I'm sure (regardless of validity either way) Armstrongs wallet and legal team would have made this a effort in futility for Simeoni. There's no way he could go up against LA and not run himself bankrupt.

·
Banned
53 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
This was about Armstrong calling him a liar when he testified that Ferrari doped him.
Right. People should have more respect for Simeoni. He and Chiotti the mountainbiker are the only ones ever to have freely admitted (without testing positive) the use of EPO. Simeoni was in the Ferrari stables around the time of Gewiss. In the Italian trial against Ferrari, Simeoni testified under oath. Then Armstrong got the publicity machine in motion to protect his friend dottore Ferrari. Defamation of character law suits are not as popular in Europe as in the USA and I think Simeoni should have let it pass but on the other hand I can see very well why he did it.

·
mad scientist
204 Posts
Not as clear on that...do legal proceedings work the same way in Europe? If it were in the US, that would definitely be true I think. Still Simeoni had really very little case and Armstrong had even less of a chance to win his countersuit, so Simeoni drops and Armstrong follows (no pun intended).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts