Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/17/sports/cycling/17armstrong.html?_r=1

Tyler Hamilton, one of Armstrong’s teammates on the United States Postal Service team, has already testified, according to people briefed on the case. Other teammates, who did not want their names published because the case is continuing, have spoken with investigators. At least two riders have admitted to doping while on the United States Postal Service team and have said Armstrong pressured teammates to dope.
Let me guess, these guys are bitter scumbags who hate cycling, and probably love cancer.:rolleyes:

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
spade2you said:
He also pressured his competition, too. :p

indeed, How do you think the competition could actually compete against such an effective doping organisation ?

·
Banned
428 Posts
spade2you said:
Still doubting that.

I don't know if it's a knock on LeMond to say that he's not happy. After he handed over thousands of documents to the Fed's he was quoted as saying something to the effect that he had to just get away from the whole thing.

He's definitely been vindicated but this whole thing has been a nightmare for him.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Here's another article on the LeMond "secret" recording of his conversation with the Oakley rep:

http://www.fanhouse.com/2010/09/16/lance-armstrong-reportedly-tied-to-performance-enhancers-in-reco/?ncid=edlinkusspor00000004

I've said before that now that federal investigators have grabbed the reigns then they are going to get to the bottom of this and find out the truth. It is looking more and more grim for Armstrong. He'd be better off just coming clean and saying there was a culture of doping in elite cycling.

What the article also tells me, and which some people have already stated, is that LeMond is a sick dude. I'm picturing some psycho sitting around with pictures on his walls and newspaper clippings who is totally consumed in his life by this issue. It is like Fatal Attraction, almost as if he is stalking. He's probably right, but it seems a little unusual to devote your own life to bringing down someone else.

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
I have actually ridden and spoken with Lemond. Not sure how much you can tell about someone in a "promotional" appearance, but to me he came across like someone's dad. Sort of soft spoken, easy to talk to and earnest. I never saw the wack job persona.

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
Mootsie said:
I have actually ridden and spoken with Lemond. Not sure how much you can tell about someone in a "promotional" appearance, but to me he came across like someone's dad. Sort of soft spoken, easy to talk to and earnest. I never saw the wack job persona.
Well, sure- isn't that how all the psychos are?!
"He seemed like a nice, quiet sort of chap... hard to believe he hacked up all those poor people..."

·
Registered
493 Posts
He has directed some attention to other cyclists--Contador being a prime example--so he is doing good in my opinion to try to clean up cycling. But it does seem he has an obsession with Armstrong. I'd rather see him focus a little more on cleaning up cycling as a whole. Devoting yourself to cleaning up cycling as a whole seems like a worthy cause. Taking out a particular cyclist seems a little psycho to me.

Maybe he is focusing more evently on cleaning up cycling as a whole and the media is just giving the majority of coverage to his campaign against Armstrong.

·
Banned
428 Posts
Gatorback said:
He has directed some attention to other cyclists--Contador being a prime example--so he is doing good in my opinion to try to clean up cycling. But it does seem he has an obsession with Armstrong. I'd rather see him focus a little more on cleaning up cycling as a whole. Devoting yourself to cleaning up cycling as a whole seems like a worthy cause. Taking out a particular cyclist seems a little psycho to me.

Maybe he is focusing more evently on cleaning up cycling as a whole and the media is just giving the majority of coverage to his campaign against Armstrong.

He has an obsession with Armstrong?

This all started as a correct, offhand comment about Armstrong. Then Armstrong tried to ruin him. LeMond was vindicated by the Trek lawsuit and is being vindicated daily with each revelation in the ongoing investigation.

Armstrong's stock OTOH, is rapidly declining if you hadn't noticed.

·
always right sometimes
1,832 Posts
blackjack said:
He has an obsession with Armstrong?

This all started as a correct, offhand comment about Armstrong. Then Armstrong tried to ruin him. LeMond was vindicated by the Trek lawsuit and is being vindicated daily with each revelation in the ongoing investigation.

Armstrong's stock OTOH, is rapidly declining if you hadn't noticed.

Crud, I own 777 shares of Armstrong Inc.:mad:

Oh...and this part "LeMond originally called McIlvain with the intention of talking to her about other business. But the telephone call switched gears shortly after when LeMond asked McIlvain exactly what happened in the hospital room with Armstrong in 1996."

Response: Yeh...okeyyy?!?!

·
Registered
493 Posts
I'm not defending Armstrong. Given the info out there now, I'd be shocked if he hasn't been doping all these years.

In terms of LeMond, secretly taping phone calls (after telling the person you were not when they asked) about what was said in a hospital room years before (secretly taping is an illegal act in most states), and saving the tape for years to try to use, just seems a little over the top. I applaud LeMond for his efforts to clean up cycling, but it sure seems in the media that he is going after Armstrong with a vengeance.

Maybe LeMond should just change his message a little and say Armstrong doped, most everyone else did, they are all lying, and we've got to take down the culture of doping? Because it appears that in terms of elite cycling that is highly likely to be the truth.

·
Banned
428 Posts
Gatorback said:
I'm not defending Armstrong. Given the info out there now, I'd be shocked if he hasn't been doping all these years.

In terms of LeMond, secretly taping phone calls (after telling the person you were not when they asked) about what was said in a hospital room years before (secretly taping is an illegal act in most states), and saving the tape for years to try to use, just seems a little over the top.
He was protecting himself. It seems like the Federal Investigators are of the opinion that lying in the SCA case was over the top. Also the legality of the issue isn't entirely clear and LeMond is not being prosecuted for taping the call AFAIK

Gatorback said:
I applaud LeMond for his efforts to clean up cycling, but it sure seems in the media that he is going after Armstrong with a vengeance.
LeMond made a comment about Armstrong's 6 year secret association with Michele Ferrari back in 2001 and then Armstrong went after LeMond with a vengeance.

Gatorback said:
Maybe LeMond should just change his message a little and say Armstrong doped, most everyone else did, they are all lying, and we've got to take down the culture of doping? Because it appears that in terms of elite cycling that is highly likely to be the truth.
LeMond has always been against doping and the system that required it. Armstrong is the one who went after LeMond as he was the chief enforcer of the omerta. Cycling was cleaning up after Festina but Armstrong was still going full gas on blood manipulation.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I thought Armstrong shares only came in blocks of 666. ;P

LA's earlier habit of suing everyone is coming back to haunt him. If he'd quietly settled all the earlier disputes rather than going to court and lying to get a favorable settlement (and suddenly changed tactics when Walsh and L'Equipe started coming up with more solid evidence) he wouldn't have so many enemies now. When the playground bully starts to go down every kid on the playground is going to try to get a shot.

·
weird huh?
304 Posts
The following are direct quotes from many in this thread concerning Greg Lemond.

It's funny how this thread is a classic example of a bunch of people who've never met the subject of their attentions, creating a fantasy character.

then again, it must be true. I read it on the internet

LeMond has masterminded this whole thing

is that LeMond is a sick dude

I'm picturing some psycho sitting around with pictures on his walls

. I never saw the wack job persona.

Well, sure- isn't that how all the psychos are?!

Taking out a particular cyclist seems a little psycho to me.

LeMond is not being prosecuted for taping the call AFAIK

1 - 20 of 120 Posts