Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Armstrong vs. French - Why bother anymore?

5K views 57 replies 27 participants last post by  CabDoctor 
#1 ·
Read this earlier on VeloNews:
http://www.velonews.com/article/90320/lance-armstrong-says-he-is-outraged-over-claims-that-he

Why? Why even bother worrying about these guys anymore? I like it when Armstrong races. I realize he might be arrogant to some, but hey, everyone has their quirks. But come on already. He's taken how many tests; over and over and over again. Geminitely, give the guy a freakin' break.

Why does everyone still contend the Tour de France is the race of all races? If it wasn't for the history of this race, what else is there? I wish every pro team would protest and forego it this year. I'm not categorizing every French fan nor anyone who attends this event, but it's apparent the organizers as well as all the reporters are simply biased. I'm now rooting for him to thump everyone this year. It might be a far stretch, but I've got my Lance chant started now.

I realize I'm jumping around the topic a bit here, but I'm tired of these guys.

#4 ·
Everyone guns for #1, and it seems like there are some who; regardless of evidence; has convinced himself that he's GOTTA be doping. I can almost agree - look at MLB and all these "superstars" which all used steroids.
Regardless of this theory, I'm rooting for Lance. He's been cooperative, and he's a hell of an athlete. I can understand his attitude, considering the discrimination he's been given. I'd probably be acting considerably worse if it were me. Heck, I wish I could even be half the athlete he is! Maybe I wouldn't mind being scrutinized. /shrug

Creakyknees said:
this belongs in the doping forum, bud.
Yes it does...

#7 ·
Moved- have fun guys!

:)

#8 ·
I understand you.

Digger28 said:
Reading through this thread, there is nothing phony about my outrage lookrider!!
:mad2:
It's Pharmstrong's outrage that is phony and the idolaters are eating it up.

'If everybody would just mind their own business, I could sniff Pharmstrong's chamois till I find eternal bliss.':p :lol: :lol: :lol: :yesnod: :yikes:

#15 ·
mohair_chair said:
I know one "fan" running on the side of the road who is probably not going to get too close to Armstrong again.
Are you kidding? He got exactly what he wanted. Confirmation that Armstrong saw him. Did you see the smile on his face? There are also people in this world known as masochists.

Normal people aren't going to go to such trouble to make fools of themselves.

#17 ·
BuenosAires said:
Yeah, everyone knows your results in February determine how you'll do in the Tour.:rolleyes:
The problem with your contention is that Pharmstrong is acknowledged to be in the best shape of his career at this point in the season by far, compared with previous years.

The increased vigilance of the authorities makes it much less likely that he's going to be able to go to doping camp in the mountains pre tour to find his form.

It's amazing that people who are riders really believe that a guy in already amazing shape is going to have such a gigantic increase in the quality of his performances as if he can just turn it on or off in a matter of 10 or 12 weeks. Who among us has personally experienced this?

This kind of crap is only possible with recovery from illness or doping.

#21 ·
lookrider said:
The problem with your contention is that Pharmstrong is acknowledged to be in the best shape of his career at this point in the season by far, compared with previous years.

The increased vigilance of the authorities makes it much less likely that he's going to be able to go to doping camp in the mountains pre tour to find his form.

It's amazing that people who are riders really believe that a guy in already amazing shape is going to have such a gigantic increase in the quality of his performances as if he can just turn it on or off in a matter of 10 or 12 weeks. Who among us has personally experienced this?

This kind of crap is only possible with recovery from illness or doping.
The problem with your contention is that Armstrong is not a Classics rider and has historically not been a contender in Milan-San remo. Only 40 or so riders made the break and he was not one of them. Like i said, that is insignificant when talking about the Tour which happens in July.

#22 ·
BuenosAires said:
The problem with your contention is that Armstrong is not a Classics rider and has historically not been a contender in Milan-San remo. Only 40 or so riders made the break and he was not one of them. Like i said, that is insignificant when talking about the Tour which happens in July.
He did not "Make the break" because he was dropped on the climb. I watched it live. There was a moto with a camera focused on Armstrong as much of the field rode around him up the climb. Great climbers like Mark Cavendish dropped him.

#25 ·
rook said:
I like Lance, but he has to understand that he must take the same tests out-of-competition that the other riders take. He hasn't raced in over two years, so he can't claim to be the most tested athlete now or even ever.

You don't think he understands it? I seriously doubt that every other rider has been tested 24 times in the last few months. He didn't complain about the test, or how many he had to take....they just wanted to verify the guy was who he said he was, what's the problem with that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.