Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

He’s not competing. There are no awards. And the event isn’t event going to be timed. But there still promises to be plenty of gawking.

Lance Armstrong’s entry in a Feb. 13 training event tied to the famed 100-mile Western States Endurance Run has already attracted plenty of attention in ultrarunning circles and raised questions about the disgraced cyclist’s potential role in his adopted sport.
Victory Velo, a popular bike shop in Auburn, plans to get active, too – in getting the word out about the former cycling star. Hard feelings at the shop? Not at all, said Andrew Clark, who works the sales floor.

“At the end of the day, we all concur the dude is an amazing athlete and think it’s great that he can still compete,” Clark said. “I don’t have any problems with him coming to the area, and I would love to meet him.”

In Auburn, he’ll be joining Eric Byrnes, a former major-league baseball player who started endurance running in retirement. Armstrong also volunteered to be one of Byrnes’ pacers during the June 25-26 race.

“I really enjoy running with him. He actually reached out to me about pacing me,” Byrnes said. “When you have what I consider the greatest endurance athlete of all time actually want to pace me in the Super Bowl of endurance competitions, I’m not going to let that one pass.”
“One of the things we love about our sport is it’s a community. It’s very accepting, and it tends to be very humble,” said Crowley, a private equity investor who splits his time between Boston and Sacramento. “If Lance wants to be part of all that, then I think he will be welcomed with open arms.”

Read more here: Lance Armstrong sparks debate with entry in Auburn training run | The Sacramento Bee

A couple of my friends are doing Western States. One just posted this article on facebook saying that he is *not* bothered by Armstrong and that he would like to meet him.

It sounds like most people aren't into holding grudges.

·
Registered
19,378 Posts
He’s not competing. There are no awards. And the event isn’t event going to be timed.

It sounds like most people aren't into holding grudges.
Why would anyone care if he goes for a long run with his buddies?

Perhaps I missed it but I did not see anything in that article about holding grudges. Sounds like an imaginary boogieman

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
I clicked on the link, and the first pic I saw was a pic of Armstrong on a bike when he was still competing. Why? Why not use a pic of Armstrong running with his buddies? Seems like the Bee writer was a bit into drama and trying to stir up excitement. The international pro cycling world at this point moved on from Armstrong. But seems like in the States there will always be some small endurance events that could use Armstrong notoriety to draw in some free marketing. And honestly, if I met Armstrong on a ride I'd talk with him too without any grudges whatsoever. It doesn't mean I'm oblivious to what he has done in the past.

·
Banned
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why would anyone care if he goes for a long run with his buddies?

Perhaps I missed it but I did not see anything in that article about holding grudges.
Correct. Nobody interviewed in that article showed hostility towards Armstrong. And yet the headline says, that Armstrong's entry sparked debate. So who still holds a grudge against Armstrong?

·
Banned
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The board has clarified that Armstrong cannot compete but *can* still pace his friend.

Western States ultrarun adopts doping policy that keeps Lance Armstrong out

...the race’s board of trustees met Saturday to draft a new policy that makes clear how welcome Armstrong is to enter the race.

Not now. Not ever.

That policy, Performance Rule 18, also could be called the Armstrong Amendment.
Rule 18 will not prevent Armstrong from doing the training run or pacing Byrnes during the race.

Asked if the board’s ruling was tailored to the fallen cyclist, Twietmeyer said, “Nah! This has been discussed for a long time. We just never did anything about it.”

Read more here: Western States ultrarun adopts doping policy that keeps Lance Armstrong out | The Sacramento Bee

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
so they've come to their senses. Though it's an annoyance they shouldn't have to deal with, Lance is like a drunk heckler at a charity speech, or an uninvited 3rd cousin who shows up unannounced and wants to stay the night and smoke in the den. He should know to stay away from all organized sport Organized sport the one thing he has done the most to poison of anyone alive.

·
Registered
456 Posts
so they've come to their senses. Though it's an annoyance they shouldn't have to deal with, Lance is like a drunk heckler at a charity speech, or an uninvited 3rd cousin who shows up unannounced and wants to stay the night and smoke in the den. He should know to stay away from all organized sport Organized sport the one thing he has done the most to poison of anyone alive.
Why then don't they test at this event?
What about the self-admitted dopers (never been tested) that compete in this event?

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Why then don't they test at this event?
What about the self-admitted dopers (never been tested) that compete in this event?
more major expense and annoyance for what is supposed to be a fun event, not a serious pro event.

Having organized many MTB races in my past (sanctioned, with prize $ and semi pro category too), it would be a real pita to have to shell out $ for drug testing too.

·
Banned
209 Posts
Whatever. All these others that doped and denied and fought it are out racing, running teams and owning teams. Still don't know why he got a lifetime ban and Vinokorouv gets two years and is in charge of a World Team. Maybe all the haters should petition that Lance be sent off planet Earth to Mars or the moon. Of course if he was running or riding his bike on another planet they would get their panties in a bunch.

·
Cycling 4 the fun of it.
326 Posts
It's too bad. I can read all the hate but, the world is full of hate and has too much of it already.

I will say...

I personally feel Lance Armstrong, still has something to give. One doesn't go through life and accomplish so much (Doping or Not) and leave it with nothing to show for it.

I'm sure he might not be able to inspire the hardcore cyclist anymore. But, the average person, he still has something. My opinion...

The movie "Rising from the Ashes" comes to mind. He has the potential to show that no matter who you are. You can loose it all and by making amends with yourself and others. You can teach others and inspire.

My thoughts, My opinions.

Frederick.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Whatever. All these others that doped and denied and fought it are out racing, running teams and owning teams. Still don't know why he got a lifetime ban and Vinokorouv gets two years and is in charge of a World Team. Maybe all the haters should petition that Lance be sent off planet Earth to Mars or the moon. Of course if he was running or riding his bike on another planet they would get their panties in a bunch.
Did Vino stonewall and litigate the crap out of the Kazakh anti-doping federation, such as it was, the way that Lance did with USADA? Doping, in and of itself, is only part of what's behind the lifetime ban.

That being said, trying to stop him from competing as an amateur, down to every little local marathon and 10K, is just idiotic. He isn't, and never will be, a world class runner or swimmer.

·
Banned
209 Posts
Did Vino stonewall and litigate the crap out of the Kazakh anti-doping federation, such as it was, the way that Lance did with USADA? Doping, in and of itself, is only part of what's behind the lifetime ban.

That being said, trying to stop him from competing as an amateur, down to every little local marathon and 10K, is just idiotic. He isn't, and never will be, a world class runner or swimmer.
Yes Vino fought it and contested it as far as he could. To this day he denies doping and aren't they still looking into his paying off his breakaway companion for the worlds?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
You probably need to have known him or encountered him to understand. Not really hate, just logic. Some never swallowed the Kool-Aid, though.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I will say...

I personally feel Lance Armstrong, still has something to give. One doesn't go through life and accomplish so much (Doping or Not) and leave it with nothing to show for it.
The thing is, he's more of a taker than a giver.

·
Banned
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Right. When the race doesn't matter it shouldn't matter who is in the race. I would not be bothered if I placed second to Armstrong in a local 10K, especially if I ran a good time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts