Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've grown used to the general cold reception of other roadies, but usually mtb's seem a little more... relaxed. i'm making sweeping generalizations here, but they seem to not take themselves too seriously, and return a friendly nod more often than not. not the fine young chap i ran into on my ride yesterday.

i figured i'd do a 25 mile loop real quick before i went out to supper with pops for fathers day. first mistake, the loop was on a peninsula, which is also state park littered with very nice beaches, so i should have figured it would be a zoo. it really fried my nerves... people in massive trucks towing boats yelling at me to get on the walking trail, despite the "share the road" signs everywhere with convenient picto-grams of a bicycle and a car... anyway, i digress. suffice to say that by the end of it i was in a bit of a mood myself and the only thing between me and home was a pretty severe but relatively short (200 yards maybe) climb. no big deal, still had some gas in the tank.

so i start up the climb and see a mountain biker in a weird outfit (no shirt, red shorts, really expensive sidi clipless road shoes and a messenger bag) coming up behind me. i notice he is pumping really hard, out of the saddle and taking the hill like he's going for the polka dot jersey. whatever, i move to the side and keep climbing at my moderate pace. now, we are on the shoulder of a pretty busy road, and the guy passes a little too close for comfort. fine, again, whatever... a little too much testosterone, but i'm not bent out of shape by the things people do on bikes too much anymore. so he continues on ahead of me, and about 15 feet in front looks back at me, and at the same time somehow dumps his timbuk2 bag, which in turn throws his balance off and he clips out of his peddles and does a little slow motion fall. the contents of his bag scatter which includes a bunch of bills that were in there apparently loose. these, of course, go fluttering into the road, off the shoulder, everywhere. i get off my own bike and ask the man if he is ok. no response. ask again, and he gets up and stares at me, then sees his money everywhere. i bend over to pick some up for him, leaving my own bike by the way side. upon giving it back he snatches it with no thank you, just a look of contempt. hm, i think, what an *******. so i get back on my bike, and he gets on his... he resumes his pedal mashing to surmount the hill as fast as he can, but my leisurely mood is ruined, so i get out of the saddle and smoke his ass, with a "have a nice day" as I pass. i get to the red light at the top of the hill and see him, 50 yards back or so, still struggling up. revenge is sweet :thumbsup:

· Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
It sounds like he was gettin' away from a successful heist.

He didn't really sound like a "mountain biker" either.

· Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wipeout said:
He is arrogant because he didn't (or couldn't) speak to you???
well, i got off my bike and walked into the road to pick up his money. i probably am venting a bit, as someone said, just thought the dude had no manners.

pretty sure the guy was english-speaking... had blond hair and blue eyes and an ipod jammed in his pants... looked north-american to me.

ah well :)

· Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pablo said:
It sounds like he was gettin' away from a successful heist.

He didn't really sound like a "mountain biker" either.
ya the thought crossed my mind. guy seemed rather shady. dunno why he'd be thieving with the 1500 dollar mountain bike rig he was on, and the ipod, and the 200 dollar shoes though. i dunno, guy was :eek:ut:

· Fly on a windshield
1,272 Posts
HokieRider said:
do you happen to live in virginia beach? were you riding at first landing state park? if so, he may not have spoken english. a large number of the visitors there are french canadian and don't speak english very well. just a thought.
L'autre jour, durant la fête des pères, j'étais à Virginia Beach avec mon vélo de montagne et mes nouveaux Sidi. Je roulais tranquilement à Landing state park, et se gros cave d'Americain était devant moi. Il avait de la misère à pédaler ce petit faux plat.

Donc je le passe mais tout d'un coup devant moi il avais un gros pickup qui était arrêté. J'ai essayé de déclipper mais il étais trop tard. J'ai chuté et mon sac à dos à tombé à terre. Tout le contenu de mon sac a commencé à voler avec le vent incluant mon passeport et mon argent.

Le gros cave, dont j'ai mentionné ci-dessus, à commencé à ramasser mes affaires et a essayé de se sauver avec mon argent et passeport. J'étais ben trop vite pour lui donc j'ai enlevé mon stock de ses mains par la force.

Par la suite il eu un lift de ses amis qui étaient en Hummer, jusqu'au sommet de se petit faux plat et il m'attendait. Il faisait semblant qu'il étais plus vite que moi. Je l'ai ignoré et j'ai continué jusqu'à ma chambre d'hôtel. Quelle histoire :D

And by the way "crisse" we are Québecois not french Canadians. :D :D

· Lets Go Hokies!!!
5,930 Posts
MG537 said:
L'autre jour, durant la fête des pères, j'étais à Virginia Beach avec mon vélo de montagne et mes nouveaux Sidi. Je roulais tranquilement à Landing state park, et se gros cave d'Americain était devant moi. Il avait de la misère à pédaler ce petit faux plat.

Donc je le passe mais tout d'un coup devant moi il avais un gros pickup qui était arrêté. J'ai essayé de déclipper mais il étais trop tard. J'ai chuté et mon sac à dos à tombé à terre. Tout le contenu de mon sac a commencé à voler avec le vent incluant mon passeport et mon argent.

Le gros cave, dont j'ai mentionné ci-dessus, à commencé à ramasser mes affaires et a essayé de se sauver avec mon argent et passeport. J'étais ben trop vite pour lui donc j'ai enlevé mon stock de ses mains par la force.

Par la suite il eu un lift de ses amis qui étaient en Hummer, jusqu'au sommet de se petit faux plat et il m'attendait. Il faisait semblant qu'il étais plus vite que moi. Je l'ai ignoré et j'ai continué jusqu'à ma chambre d'hôtel. Quelle histoire :D

I have no idea what you just said.

//babelfish says you are mocking the op. :D

· Registered
1,318 Posts
HokieRider said:
I have no idea what you just said.

//babelfish says you are mocking the op. :D
Google Translator:

"...
The other day, during the celebration of fathers, I was in Virginia Beach with my mountain bike and my new Sidi. I was riding a quiet Landing state park, and large cellar American was in front of me. He had the misery to ride this little flat wrong.

So I pass but suddenly in front of me he had a big pickup was stopped. I tried to déclipper but it was too late. I dropped my backpack fell to earth. All contents of my bag began to fly with the wind, including my passport and my money.

The big cave, which I mentioned above, began to collect my things and tried to get away with my money and passport. I ben too fast for him so I removed my stock of his hands by force.

Thereafter he had a lift of his friends who were in the Hummer, to the summit to small flat false, and it awaited me. He was pretending he was faster than me. I ignored and I continued to my hotel room. Likely Story
..."

· Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
MG537 said:
Isn't Canadia the 51st state? :p

· Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
wipeout said:
Google Translator:

"...
The other day, during the celebration of fathers, I was in Virginia Beach with my mountain bike and my new Sidi. I was riding a quiet Landing state park, and large cellar American was in front of me. He had the misery to ride this little flat wrong.

So I pass but suddenly in front of me he had a big pickup was stopped. I tried to déclipper but it was too late. I dropped my backpack fell to earth. All contents of my bag began to fly with the wind, including my passport and my money.

The big cave, which I mentioned above, began to collect my things and tried to get away with my money and passport. I ben too fast for him so I removed my stock of his hands by force.

Thereafter he had a lift of his friends who were in the Hummer, to the summit to small flat false, and it awaited me. He was pretending he was faster than me. I ignored and I continued to my hotel room. Likely Story
..."

haha... well, i admit to calling in in the buddies with the hummer... but the guy was an ass!

· Captain Obvious
11,956 Posts
i determined people just suck. mtn. biker, roadie, casual rider... most don't acknowledge other riders.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.