Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I am getting overwhelmed with all of the hub choices, and all of the places that sell them. I am wanting a flip flop 36 hole hub. Color is not a big deal, but if it was red or blue, that would be great. Also I am wanting cheap, but not junk. Something sixty bucks or under. Can somebody help me narrow down the choices?

Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
I'm kinda surprised there are lots of options, once you include colors. Axel length might help reduce the number of options...

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Most of the store/webstore logo'd hubs are either Dimension or Formula

Check out the two pics and compare to offerings from IRO, Nashbar, Milwalkee, etc......you'll see they are just rebranded..

FWIW, you won't have problems with either brand or the rebadged ones

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PdxMark said:
I'm kinda surprised there are lots of options, once you include colors. Axel length might help reduce the number of options...
That brings up another question. What is my frame spacing? It is a early 80s schwinn traveler.

I guess I just figured on getting 120mm, and cold setting the frame...??

·
Registered
867 Posts
e39540is said:
That brings up another question. What is my frame spacing? It is a early 80s schwinn traveler.

I don't know what your frame spacing is but you don't need to cold set it. Look at the Formula hub that Dave posted, it has a very long axle that will accommodate almost any frame. All you need to do is throw on some spacers on that axle and you are ready to go.

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
e39540is said:

My Traveler has 126 mm rear spacing. I use a 120 rear hub w/spacers. Works very well.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I can vouch for the Formula hubs (rebranded in numerous labels). Three plus years on the commuter and almost two on the fixed and they are "bulletproof." Plus J&B carries rebuild kits for them (axles and bearings.)

Yes, you can get Phil's, Shimano, Campy, etc. But really that's more of a case of "cost no object" or "I gotta have." Nothing wrong with that. I'd love a full Campy Pista group for my Fuso. But........

·
Registered
359 Posts
how do the bearings hold up on the formula type hubs when there are no dust covers, ect. i know they are a cartridge bearing but im hesitant to use them when compared to a paul's components, shimano, campy, phil, ect.

thats been one of the only reasons that i havent gone with that type of hub, they are much cheaper in cost there is no doubt about that

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
b24fsb said:
how do the bearings hold up on the formula type hubs when there are no dust covers, ect. i know they are a cartridge bearing but im hesitant to use them when compared to a paul's components, shimano, campy, phil, ect.

thats been one of the only reasons that i havent gone with that type of hub, they are much cheaper in cost there is no doubt about that

why would you need a dust cover for a sealed bearing??? plus they are easily replacable. if you really want to be an incognito baller, get the formula and replace the bearings w/ phils

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
I have been beating a set of them for years. They are even strapped to 32H Alex A500 hoops with no problems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.