Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The local city cycling club is holding one of it's annual, big, multi-distance, 4-500 rider strong organized rides this Sunday. I am no longer a member of the club. The ride is being held over the area that I ride every single ride - out my back door. I don't want to pirate the ride, but on other hand, I don't want to spend $30 for the right to ride public roads that I ride all the time. Sunday is my day to do a long ride. My other choice is get in my car with my bike and start a ride from another location.

So the question: If I don't eat their food, don't use their rest stops, don't ride any of their specific routes (24, 35, 50,75,100) but do ride similiar roads, do ride along with some other riders at the same time am I a pirate????

·
Registered
29 Posts
nope...it's your regular ride and you are not participating in any of the "schwag".

on the other hand, if you have access to other routes easily, then you can/should/maybe do that instead.

i don't know if that helps you or not...good luck!

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
is the annual, big, multi-distance, 4-500 rider strong organized rides just regulated for the club or can anyone participate? if anyone can participate but pay a fee then spend the $30, get the t-shirt/water bottle. so what if it helps the club that your not a member of.

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
If I were you, I would do my regular ride, not use their services, and not think twice about it. Who cares if they are holding a ride that uses your regular route? Why shouldn't you be able to use it too, without having to pay the $30. Now, if you do use their services, then you should pay for them. Honestly, I wouldn't lose sleep over this.

·
Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
Ugh. Haven't seen this question in a while. Just because someone schedules a ride where you want to ride doesn't mean you are faced with a choice of participating or riding somewhere else. I would ride the route I wanted to ride and not care a whit about what anyone else was doing out there, or what they thought about me. Hell, I do that every time I ride anyway.

·
Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
As long as you aren't using any of their services, then you're not a pirate. Just consider it as them encroaching on your ride. But do you really want to ride with thousands of other people? I'd probably ride somewhere else, although maybe not drive to get there.

You could mess with folks and ride along their route for a while, then turn off their route and see who follows.

·
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like that idea

JohnnyTooBad said:
As long as you aren't using any of their services, then you're not a pirate. Just consider it as them encroaching on your ride. But do you really want to ride with thousands of other people? I'd probably ride somewhere else, although maybe not drive to get there.

You could mess with folks and ride along their route for a while, then turn off their route and see who follows.
Lead people off the route...get them lost in the hollers & hills of Kentucky!!

I brought up the whole subject because a riding friend wants to avoid the area becuase he would otherwise feel obligated to pay for the ride. Not me. They are on public roads, so I'm not a pirate. Too bad....cause I look good with an eyepatch and a parrot on my shoulder.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Last year, there was a charity ride that takes the route I normally ride on Saturdays. I had intended to do it, but a buddy of mine, who was in grad school at the time, said he couldn't afford the $30 donation and asked if I would ride with him. I said sure. We rode past a lot of the people on the tour and several of the rest stops offered us food or drinks, but we declined. No one said anything and it wasn't a problem. So go do your ride and don't pay the $30 if you don't want to.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
A question.

PaulCL said:
Too bad....cause I look good with an eyepatch and a parrot on my shoulder.
I know the term 'bandit' in this context, but not 'pirate.' Is 'pirate' the new 'bandit?' I'm curious, because I do German-English translations every so often and like to keep current on English language use and changes. :)

·
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
????

wim said:
I know the term 'bandit' in this context, but not 'pirate.' Is 'pirate' the new 'bandit?' I'm curious, because I do German-English translations every so often and like to keep current on English language use and changes. :)
I guess it depends upon where you live. I've always heard the term pirate, but have seen bandit on this forum. Maybe "pirate" is used as a verb, while a "bandit" would "pirate" an organized ride.

·
Baltic Scum
1,828 Posts
Haven't been home in a while...

wim said:
What's the German word for it?

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
seeborough said:
What's the German word for it?
I don't think there is an insider word. You hear "Schummler" or, less often, "Mogler", which means "cheater." But these words are also used for people in a race who take shortcuts, not just for people who don't register.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I am putting on a Red, White, and Blue Metric Century Ride on July 5th for our club.

At my insistence, we are trying a new fee system for this ride. We are offering a bigger discount for members and offering the microtex shirt separately. Since many of us have closets full of shirts, we thought it would be cool to knock 50% off the ride cost and see if a fully supported ride at $10 for members and $15 for non-members would draw a bigger group this year. We are offering the microtex shirt for an additional $10 if you preregister 10 or more days before the event.

I am just curious... but if they offered you some SAG lovin' for $10-$15 for a metric would you be willing to pay the fee?

·
Beatchin' Technology
372 Posts
Isn't it Schwarzfahrer

Wim,

Isn't the word for Germans who ride the train without paying Schwarzfahrer or something like that. That would be analagous, I suppose. But, anyway, yo ho, yo ho, a pirates life for me. We pillage etc.:cool:

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
There's a local club that specializes in "rally racing" and they have jerseys with a buccaneer logo and "Pirates of the Peloton"

So naturally everyone refers to them as the Butt Pirates. NTTAWWT.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.