Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.theage.com.au/news/mens-health/saddle-up-to-no-good/2005/11/24/1132703293900.html

Saddles and Erectile dysfunction...

i read this and freaked. is it that bad with saddles? do the saddles with holes make a difference? anyone had such experiences?

i am still using the stock saddle that came on my Felt F60 2005. am i better of changing that? (it does not cause extreme discomfort, or numbness) but after rides, if i feel the area referred to in the article, i feel there is a bit soreness...

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
simple cure..

The saddles that come on stock bikes are often cheap crap. On the other hand, the most expensive saddles will be light, but often have little padding and feel worse than the cheap saddle. Somewhere in between are high quality saddles with good padding. My current favorite brand if Fizik. Most would chosse the Arione, but I like the Gobi.

Unfortuantely, there's no way to know what may be the best for you without expensive experimentation. I've never felt the need for a "relieved" saddle and can't comment on any of them.

Often, the main problem is simply a slightly incorrect saddle angle. A great many bikes come with single bolt seat rail clamps that have a poor ability to make small angle changes. For that reason, I use nothing but 2-bolt designs, like those offered by Thomson, FSA, ITM and Selcof.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply C-40. Ill experiment with saddles. But my bigger concern is what the study cited above said about saddles in general. The research appears to suggest that, structurally, saddles (all saddles) will reseult in erectile dysf. regardless of manufacturer, model or shape. Is that really accurate?

it would be really crap if this was true. afterall i plan on having kids soon.

thanks again for your help

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Old, old "news"

fouadaswad said:
[i read this and freaked. is it that bad with saddles? do the saddles with holes make a difference? anyone had such experiences?
Some thoughts on what has so accurately been called the "gravy train." Guys like Goldstein don't have to worry about working themselves out of a job if their "theories" are disproved. The splash is in the initial press release, not in the high quality work it takes to sort out the truth. Please recall a press release from the prestigious University of Southern California (about 10 years ago?) which described a correlation of childhood leukemia with the consumption (by the father of these children) of more than six hot dogs a week. Cause and effect? I think not, but they got the headlines and the column inches and that's all they wanted. Think back 30 years to the study that showed a correlation of the same childhood leukemia with proximity to high power lines. Some of you probably still believe this to be true. 25 years of public policy and power line siting hearings were based on this study, the results of which have been shown to be without merit! Where was the publicity on the studies that refuted this one?

Do some people get ED from riding a bike? Sure. Were some of the bikes of those some people properly set up? Sure. Have some people on properly set up bikes with very low mileage still got ED? Sure. Some people are predisposed to various ailments and should not engage in activities that trigger those ills. BUT (!!!!) what percentage of reasonable riders (not really those trying to crank 300 miles in 30 hours, or whatever) on properly set up bikes who use even the slightest bit of wisdom in their riding style get ED? I really don't care how many people get ED from riding aero bars for 20 hours without standing up - it may sound harsh, but there is likely some penalty for stupidity, much as we might wish otherwise. Until someone has a study based on something other than "a bunch of guys came into my office with ED and they are bike riders" or "a bunch of people on an endurance ride or a club ride report ED", you don't have much. Common sense should tell anyone that if things get numb when they do something, they should change the way they do things. None of this suggests that Goldstein is other than a publicity hound, abetted and enabled by hack outfits like 20/20 and Bicycling magazine.

·
Registered
118 Posts
To quote (or paraphrase) somebody else

"If bicycle riding was a chronic source of ED, Holland would be empty".

·
Soul Mining
390 Posts
They talk about these studies and their conclusions, but where is the data? They say a man sits on the saddle and the blood flow drops 70 to 80 percent. OK, so how is he sitting on the saddle? Is it a proper, fitted bike, or is he straddling it like a two-by-four?

I don't recall getting numb when I ride. On cold days the rush of crisp air has caused numbness -- haven't we all felt this -- but from just regular riding? Never.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
saddles w/ "holes" work

When I started cycling seriously I would be completely numb after any ride over 20 miles. Adjusting the saddle angle did not work, so I tried a saddle w/ a cutout- worked perfectly. never been numb since (not intentionally!)

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
fouadaswad said:
http://www.theage.com.au/news/mens-health/saddle-up-to-no-good/2005/11/24/1132703293900.html

Saddles and Erectile dysfunction...

i read this and freaked. is it that bad with saddles? do the saddles with holes make a difference? anyone had such experiences?

i am still using the stock saddle that came on my Felt F60 2005. am i better of changing that? (it does not cause extreme discomfort, or numbness) but after rides, if i feel the area referred to in the article, i feel there is a bit soreness...
Damn...I thought this was an Old Ed Scott sighting...

·
Registered
356 Posts
I once had a little, uh, numbness, after doing a bike race on a Selle Italia SLR. It persisted for a few days and it scared me good, so I've been on the lookout for good saddles ever since.

I strongly suggest trying one of the recent Specialized saddles. If you go to a shop that carries their products, you'll find a sit-bone measurer, which will tell you what width saddle to get. People are different sizes and their sit bones are different sizes as well, but I think Specialized is the first company to actually take this into account.

Anyway, I ended up on an Alias, which is a really firm saddle. The first time I sat down on it, I thought, "damn, so this is what it's like to have your weight just on the sit bones." I have wider than average sit bones so it had never felt like that on other saddles. I also got the Indie Sport for my commuter, which is not as hard, but is still supports my weight correctly. I've thought of putting this on my road bike but I haven't gotten around to it yet. (The Indie Sport is way better than the plain Indie, IMHO, because the latter is too soft and the material doesn't let fabric slide easily on it -- it's sort of sticky, like a piece of rubber.)

Everyone's experience is different -- someone with narrow sit bones may never experience discomfort, but it doesn't mean that everyone else is the same way. As I understand it, sit bone width varies, even for people of the same size, so you can't tell what size saddle to use just by looking at someone.

Most decent stores will let you try saddles and exchange them, so if you don't like the first one you try, nothing's lost.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.