Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the most part I have actually made an attempt to limit how much I follow these stories, but reading this really struck me the wrong way.

David Zabriskie, Christian Vande Velde and Tom Danielson returning to racing

On being back: Christian Vande Velde Q&A - ESPN

I am still not sure how I feel about these riders coming back at all, but I definitely feel like I haven't heard them come clean with actual remorse and understanding about what they did. Besides the initial letters released by team Garmin (and probably written or at least edited by team lawyers/PR agents) they haven't really come forward with anything much that seems heartfelt (that I've seen at least).

Even in the linked articles Vande Velde comes across to me as an entitled jerk. He says, "I don't want pity from anyone," "I got that behind me years ago," "I didn't get to go to the Olympics, didn't get to go to the world championships, didn't get paid for six months. I went under my own will and told all these things 100 percent truthfully under oath. I'm not going to say I got off too easily or too hard," and generally talks about his frustration of still having to answer questions about doping. And any negativity about his comeback is just "omerta"!!! These guys lied, cheated and denied for years. They should be nothing but apologetic, thankful and patient with any kind of questions or response they receive.

·
Make America grope again
4,754 Posts
I guess I think about this a bit like when the Feds bust a criminal gang. They make deals with little guys, to bust the ringleaders and cops on the take.

The USPS case alleged some pretty serious corruption at the UCI. Personally, I'd like to see the UCI investigated and changed.

And I think guys like Ferrari, Brunyeel, etc... have no place in cycling.

I think all these guys who got a little ban over the winter got off pretty light. But it took deals for the little guys, to get the ringleaders.

Their attitudes doesn't surprise me. They cheated for years, they aren't going to suddenly turn into Saints and high minded competitors.

·
Good Person
1,695 Posts

I am still not sure how I feel about these riders coming back at all, but I definitely feel like I haven't heard them come clean with actual remorse and understanding about what they did. Besides the initial letters released by team Garmin (and probably written or at least edited by team lawyers/PR agents) they haven't really come forward with anything much that seems heartfelt (that I've seen at least).
From reading all of the riders' depositions, I thought the most sincere one was Levi's.... in the end he was also the one who received the harshest treatment because of it. He admitted to doping on other teams and I think (if I recall correctly) that he was the only one who admitted to doping after 2006. He experienced the most threatening intimidation tactics from Lance because of his confession, was stripped of his entire career of results, and was the only one to be fired because of his admission (excuse to free up budget to hire Cavendish, if you ask me). Unless something changes in the very near future, it appears that he is going to be the only rider to actually have his career ended by the doping confession.

Danielson, Vande Velde, and Z are still racing and George still would be if he wanted.

It appears that sincerity and honesty still does not pay.

·
Banned
8,103 Posts
For the most part I have actually made an attempt to limit how much I follow these stories, but reading this really struck me the wrong way.

Thanks for posting this.
Even in the linked articles Vande Velde comes across to me as an entitled jerk. He says, "I don't want pity from anyone," "I got that behind me years ago," "I didn't get to go to the Olympics, didn't get to go to the world championships, didn't get paid for six months. I went under my own will and told all these things 100 percent truthfully under oath. I'm not going to say I got off too easily or too hard," and generally talks about his frustration of still having to answer questions about doping. And any negativity about his comeback is just "omerta"!!! These guys lied, cheated and denied for years. They should be nothing but apologetic, thankful and patient with any kind of questions or response they receive.
If we're going to talk about feeling entitled, should fans feel entitled to a apologetic, thankful and patient disposition from a pro athlete?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really, I have no problem with these guys receiving reduced bans for cooperating and testifying. I also agree that professional athletes are the last people anyone should look to for moral or ethical leadership. With that said, pro cyclists are basically walking, talking billboards for the companies that sponsor them and are supposed to engender goodwill with the public and was surprised at how they are conducting their comeback from even a marketing/PR perspective.

I am just sharing my reaction to the situation and am curious what others thought.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Really, I have no problem with these guys receiving reduced bans for cooperating and testifying. I also agree that professional athletes are the last people anyone should look to for moral or ethical leadership. With that said, pro cyclists are basically walking, talking billboards for the companies that sponsor them and are supposed to engender goodwill with the public and was surprised at how they are conducting their comeback from even a marketing/PR perspective.

I am just sharing my reaction to the situation and am curious what others thought.
I think professional athletes are slightly ahead of politicians, but I'll agree that they shouldn't be seen as the moral compass.

·
Registered
880 Posts
<snip>should fans feel entitled to a apologetic, thankful and patient disposition from a pro athlete?
You are joking, right?

These are pro racers we're talking about. That means they're mostly type-a personalities. The chances of getting some sappy, "heartfelt", anything out of these guys is about, exactly, zero. If that's not enough, boycott their sponsors.

·
Make America grope again
4,754 Posts

Well, it is the Amgen Tour of California....

·
Registered
680 Posts
I agree they have crappy attitudes and I think all you can do about it is stop being a fan. Boo.

If you had any doubt about Garmin's big anti doping crusade being anything other than empty words this should erase that. If they were as 'different' and clean as they describe their team they would have fired these losers.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
You are joking, right?

These are pro racers we're talking about. That means they're mostly type-a personalities. The chances of getting some sappy, "heartfelt", anything out of these guys is about, exactly, zero. If that's not enough, boycott their sponsors.
Do you want a bike race or a date?

You almost have to be crazy to ride a road bike and even crazier to race. Each level of cycling is probably another standard deviation of sanity gone.

Sure, Wiggo is a snob, Cav is arrogant, and Lance is a big 'ol meanie. Do you want to watch racing or not? If not, try racing.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Do you want a bike race or a date?

You almost have to be crazy to ride a road bike and even crazier to race. Each level of cycling is probably another standard deviation of sanity gone.

Sure, Wiggo is a snob, Cav is arrogant, and Lance is a big 'ol meanie. Do you want to watch racing or not? If not, try racing.
I did.

I've been around racing most of my adult life. I've been around the racing of cars, motorcycles, boats, snowmobiles, karts and bikes as either a racer, pit guy, an official or fan. If I learned anything is that the most successful racers are usually type-a's. They're not very nice people when it comes to racing. They'll also push the rules all the way to the limit to gain an edge and where rules enforcement is lacking or non-existent they'll simply ignore them. And apologize? Not on your life. These guys are in the business of winning races, not winning friends and influencing people.

If you want saints, then go to mass.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sorry to say it, but it seems to me that, from what I've read (a lot of it on this forum), it really is safe to say that (almost) "everybody does it" in bike racing, and everybody has been doing it for decades. Whether this should be the case is another matter, but it seems that "better living through chemistry" has been a near-universal rule of the peloton since long before these riders were born. Given that, is it really such a surprise to hear little remorse from riders when caught doing what they well-know all their rivals were doing as well? To be honest, I'd be more suspicious of a rider who gave a tearful confession dripping with "remorse" -- it would seem like a patently-insincere "Oscar-worthy" performance solely in order to avoid punishment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.