783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Frank Zappa
Allman Brothers Band
Bob Dylan
Nick Drake
Big Country
Johnny Cash

I want CDs/LPs with footnotes.... not digital music downloaded from A-mazon...grrrr

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Frank Zappa - I've been listening to Frank since my early teens. I'm still a huge fan of his music. I have a pretty extensive collection of his stuff on original label vinyl.

Allman Brothers Band - Good stuff but for some reason I don't often find myself actually wanting to listen to them.

Bob Dylan - Great songwriter, don't love listening to him sing.

Nick Drake - Completely unfamiliar with that one.

Big Country - Only heard the radio stuff, wasn't a fan of it.

Johnny Cash - Been listening to Mr. Cash literally my entire life. My parents were fans so it was playing before I even knew who he was.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,283 Posts
Proclaimer -- All are worthy. Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash especially.

By the same token, though, I admit to walking out on an Allman Bros concert right in the middle of a Duane Allman solo. It was about two hours into the concert, which I think was at the gym at UCSB. I got to the point where I decided the next time I heard Duane do another 'woop-de-doodle-do' on the guitar, I'd make tracks. Five seconds later, he did it again.

As for Zappa I loved him for a good while. I even saw him at the Hollywood Bowl with Zubin Mehta and the L.A. Philharmonic. I heard him say, "Hit it Zube." Eventually with Zappa, though, it got a little old for me. The guy found himself stuck in a musical rut where it all felt smirky and busy.

But don't pay any attention to me. I'm just some old guy with an LP collection that is 'way too big.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Nick Drake - Completely unfamiliar with that one.

About 10 years ago they featured one of Nick Drake's songs in a VW Cabriolet commercial. Some twenty somethings are driving to a party and enjoying watching the stars with the top down. When they get to the party, they decide to leave and keep on driving. I believe Drake had mental illness issues and disengaged from life

·
Registered
698 Posts
Allman Brothers: Anything with Duane Allman, who unfortunately died in a motorcycle crash in 1971 at age 24.

Start with this: At Fillmore East and go from there. A whole album too much? Start at 38:40, Hot 'Lanta.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And something completely different: Miles Davis.

Two famous albums, way, way different from each other. I think both are accessible for non-jazz fans.

Kind of Blue
From wikipedia:
As was Davis's penchant, he called for almost no rehearsal and the musicians had little idea what they were to record. As described in the original liner notes by pianist Bill Evans, Davis had only given the band sketches of scales and melody lines on which to improvise.

Once the musicians were assembled, Davis gave brief instructions for each piece and then set to taping the sextet in studio. While the results were impressive with so little preparation, the persistent legend that the entire album was recorded in one pass is untrue.

(sorry for the forum auto-censoring the title, grrr!)
B*tches Brew.

From wikipedia]:
Though B*tches Brew was in many ways revolutionary, perhaps its most important innovation was rhythmic. The rhythm section for this recording consists of two bassists (one playing bass guitar, the other double bass), two to three drummers, two to three electric piano players, and a percussionist, all playing at the same time.

Full album on youtube.

Too long? Start with Spanish Key. And even that is 17 minutes.

Cheek Forehead Jaw Art Temple

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
Get thee some Nick Drake. Bryter Layter is probably his most accessible album. I'm a huge fan of his in case it wasn't evident by my profile pic.

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
The Allman Bros are literally gods in the south.

Cash is unique and was just a force.

Dylan is considered to be a great song writer by some, and THE MAN by others. I have always appreciated his stuff but never really listened to him much. I went to a concert about a year ago. The worst concert I ever attended. He sounded like he was singing in French. With that said, it peaked my interest, and I started digging deeper into his music. Cold Irons Bound and Love Sick were mezmerizing.

Sometimes the silence can be like thunder ......

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
Some other artists you may have missed out on.

Delbert McClinton Adult Rock and Roll -- Can't be put in a category--witty lyrics

Diamond Reo Country harmony at its finest with great tunes

Dixie Chicks Just really good music

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just listened to the Miles Davis link.....Sometimes it happens...I don't get it yet..the art of improvisation, I try to understand....it's a gift I guess.. I claim ignorance with Jazz but please, it is Real and in the moment....I love that. So now I have to get Jazz 4 dummies....Give me a few and I will hopefully put some words together..nice

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
Just listened to the Miles Davis link.....Sometimes it happens...I don't get it yet..the art of improvisation, I try to understand....it's a gift I guess.. I claim ignorance with Jazz but please, it is Real and in the moment....I love that. So now I have to get Jazz 4 dummies....Give me a few and I will hopefully put some words together..nice
Jazz-I get it--still don't like it

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I heard all the music while growing up and was immersed in the music of the 60's and 70's.

I didn't LISTEN to a lot of it and rarely an entire album in one sitting as so much of it was air played to death. Plus I was a teenager and somewhat less understanding of the nuances that went into the sounds and production.

I did read the NY Times article this week about George Martin and his influence and found myself going back and really paying attention (with headphones) to the 5 Beatles songs mentioned. This has been a trend as I get back to the Beatle and listen as an adult. Remarkable stuff, no doubt. So I spend a lot of time revisting stuff I've had on various formats and I pay attention now. So rewarding.

I did go sample on iTunes Store, the Tarkus album by E,L&P, with the news of Emersons death and am unclear what I liked about them and why I wanted Tarkus for Christmas.

My buddy keeps telling me I'd like Wilco and will make an effort.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I did go sample on iTunes Store, the Tarkus album by E,L&P, with the news of Emersons death and am unclear what I liked about them and why I wanted Tarkus for Christmas.
Damn! Your post is the first I heard of Keith Emerson. And extra sadly, by suicide. 2016 has already become a travesty of musicians lost. And I think Tarkus is a decent album.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I've got Pandora stations setup for, and been listening to a lot of:

1. HoneyDrippers
2. Brian Setzer
3. Pert Near Sandstone
4. Frank Sinatra

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Some other artists you may have missed out on.

Delbert McClinton Adult Rock and Roll -- Can't be put in a category--witty lyrics

Diamond Reo Country harmony at its finest with great tunes

Dixie Chicks Just really good music
Agree; Dixie Chicks.....talent...not the fake stuff, just real...

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,283 Posts
Wow. Keith Emerson! This is the first I've heard of it. Totally loved that guy. To my ears, by far the best instrumentalist of the Classical Rock era. He was no poseur. He attacked the keyboard with the chops and panache of a genuine classical player. Big, gorgeous tone. A tremendous left hand. Saw ELP at the Santa Monica Civic. He was terrific. Lake and Palmer kept pace, too. One of my favorite concerts of all time. RIP.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Never got to see Emerson, Lake and Palmer intact. Like most of the classic rock bands, they were a bit before I reached the age where I was going to concerts. I saw them in the 80's as Emerson, Lake and Powell with Cozy Powell on drums, It was a good show even without Palmer. The 80's revival of some of the classic rock bands and artists let me see a lot of artists I wouldn't have otherwise so, even though some of it wasn't as good as their heyday stuff, I'm glad it happened.

·
User is infamous around
2,738 Posts
You might want to check out The Rippingtons, featuring Russ Freeman. C-jazz but the good stuff, not like Kenny G.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Wait, Big Country didn't suck???

Anyway, not for all tastes but check out The Stooges if you missed them. A lot of people did pick up on them eventually but still surprising how many people do have a taste for punk and still don't know about 'em. Still hard to imagine they were doing that stuff in the late 60s/early 70s.

I've always listened to the Allman Bros, Dylan and Zappa. Great stuff. I could do without anything after Blonde on Blonde for Dylan though but the stuff before that was great.

Only recently discovered Nick Drake myself. I'm blow away.

I wish I appreciated jazz long before I 'got it". Still playing catchup there.

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
Kind of Blue is a must own. I've probably listened to this album more than any other regardless of genre. Jim Hall's Concierto is a superb jazz album that's easily accessible to the Jazz newbie and has a great cover of Davis' epic Concierto de Aranjuez, one of my favorite tracks of all time.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts