Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not the type to get hung up on celebrity culture and don't view a famous person's death as any more deserving of respect and remembrance as the many people who die undocumented, unceremonious deaths from various causes.

That said, what happened earlier today really punched me in the gut and I just haven't been myself all day. I checked out his Instagram account, and the guy was home with his kids playing just the other day, acting a goof and today I'm reading articles with pictures of Anna kneeling over a sheet at the intersection... I am gutted and I think it's that as a newly minted father I can't imagine not being there for my kid *snaps fingers* at any moment. I can almost picture the scene at his house that morning as he was leaving for training, it's the very same scene that happens at my house, I just can't process the rest.

I think it's the combination of feeling a brotherhood with Michele as a cyclist and as a father of two smiling kids and [EXPLETIVE] I just can't get over it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hug your kids every day. I thought the same thing this morning and mine are nearly grown up. Godspeed Michele. A huge loss.

·
Crusty AF
1,215 Posts
I'm not the type to get hung up on celebrity culture and don't view a famous person's death as any more deserving of respect and remembrance as the many people who die undocumented, unceremonious deaths from various causes.

That said, what happened earlier today really punched me in the gut and I just haven't been myself all day. I checked out his Instagram account, and the guy was home with his kids playing just the other day, acting a goof and today I'm reading articles with pictures of Anna kneeling over a sheet at the intersection... I am gutted and I think it's that as a newly minted father I can't imagine not being there for my kid *snaps fingers* at any moment. I can almost picture the scene at his house that morning as he was leaving for training, it's the very same scene that happens at my house, I just can't process the rest.

I think it's the combination of feeling a brotherhood with Michele as a cyclist and as a father of two smiling kids and [EXPLETIVE] I just can't get over it.
My little nugget is 3 now. By this point, I expect that this feeling never goes away.

“Making the decision to have a child - it is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." --Elizabeth Stone

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
That was almost me last year when a survey boat sank out from under me. All three of us were lucky as hell. And I mean LUCKY.

I hug my kids every day.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I quit racing when I had a kid and became much more cautious about the routes I selected, speeds, etc. I ride more MUTs and dirt. In four years when my kid turns 18 I'll probably start acting more like an idiot again. :)

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
921 Posts
I live in Italy and this tragedy touched the italian cycling world a lot. I went riding that saturday afternoon but I was glad to be back at home to hug my 19 months son,haven't touched the bike again yet..

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I live in Italy and this tragedy touched the italian cycling world a lot. I went riding that saturday afternoon but I was glad to be back at home to hug my 19 months son,haven't touched the bike again yet..
I think it touched everyone. There are many parts to this story that people can relate to regardless of nationality. very sad

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for sharing.
Can't quite put my finger on it but there's just something about the confluence of events. Perhaps our feelings are a function of where we are in our lives and thus are more relevant and emphatic?

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
I tend not to worry about it at all. The cycling death rate in Illinois is 2.1 persons per Million. If you remove people who aren't really cyclists, the rate probably gets cut in half...The Motor vehicle death rate is 106 people per million. ....Party on.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
I hope I don't sound insensitive but I don't follow pro racing and the news articles aren't helping me understand this. What is it about this accident that has everyone, particularly parents, so touched?

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hope I don't sound insensitive but I don't follow pro racing and the news articles aren't helping me understand this. What is it about this accident that has everyone, particularly parents, so touched?
It definitely, at least partly, stems from the fact that he kept up with, and shared a lot on, on social media. Which gave people a glimpse into his family life. He seemed to be a great dad to his kids who were hooked on cycling. Anna would send him pics of the boys "training" while he was away racing. Apart from the kids, he was always a good spirited guy, cracking jokes, slapping people on the back and he just seemed to have gotten the hang of how to enjoy life (in terms of family and professionally).

He flew back from the tour of Alps the evening before, dinner, pushups with his kids sitting on his back in the living room. Went out for a training ride the next morning and never came back.

Isn't it crazy how much information people put out there? Look, I wouldn't flinch if Cavendish rode into an industrial sized wood chipper at sprint speed. Scarponi just had a good aura about him.

Henry and I just happened to be new fathers and - at least to me - being yanked form your family life during such a high point in one's life seems so unthinkable. But it was the social media that really made him a relateable figure.

·
すし + Sweet Potato Kugel
5,846 Posts
Tough reading about this Pro's death.

Sad.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts