Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there fellow bikers.
I`m posting my story just as warning: September 15th 2014 I transfered $2284 for a Corratec 2012 model bike to a dealer (Asiacycles, situated in Jakarta, Indonesia)which I was led to belive were a serious retailer of Corratec bicycles(and most other famous brands). Once I had transfered the amount quoted, the person, by the name of Lukas Kim, corresponding with me through email stopped communicating. I now understand I`m ripped off/cheated big time! By laying bare my stupidity for all to see, I hope to warn others from making the same mistake: Transfering money to ASIA CYCLES | Mountain Bikes | Road Bikes | BMX. Probably Lukas Kim is a fake name, but the account holders name is MAMAN SUPRIADI and account no is 775- 02 8-3017
My sole purpose is to warn others from trusting this retailer.

Sincerely
Knut Westad
:mad:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your sympathy. $ 2284 is a lot of money, also for me. But I have only myself to blame beeing so stupid. Actually and usually I`m rather cautious (my wife even claim I`m paranoid!!) dealing over the Internet and try sticking to Paypal. Hopefully my story will remind other fellow bikers to the risk of being ripped off when dealing abroad. And, by all means, not use wire transfer as payment option.
Best.
Knut

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
Thanks for your sympathy. $ 2284 is a lot of money, also for me. But I have only myself to blame beeing so stupid. Actually and usually I`m rather cautious (my wife even claim I`m paranoid!!) dealing over the Internet and try sticking to Paypal. Hopefully my story will remind other fellow bikers to the risk of being ripped off when dealing abroad. And, by all means, not use wire transfer as payment option.
Best.
Knut
Yeah, wiring money to a foreign country, especially Indonesia is a huge internet no-no.

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
this didn't trip you up? Or the banner page with REI in the bottom right corner?
Sorry you got ripped off but this scam is as old as the Nigerian one. Did you contact your bank to put a stop on the transfer?

Attachments

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
September 15th 2014 I transfered $2284 for a Corratec 2012 model bike to a dealer (Asiacycles, situated in Jakarta, Indonesia)which I was led to belive were a serious retailer of Corratec bicycles
Oh yeah? What led you to believe they were a "serious" retailer of Corratec? A quick 1 minute search shows that they are indeed NOT a dealer of Corratec. So?

You say you're very careful about internet shopping but you just went and wired thousands of dollars to some fake bike website?

Something isn't adding up here.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Or the banner page with REI in the bottom right corner?
I'm not sure what you mean by "banner page with REI in the bottom right corner", but I chuckled at the "General Links" section at the bottom of the Web site. They even included a "general link" to their "404 Not Found" page!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I would call this consumer Darwinism. Very foolish to not realize this was a scam. A minute of research and it can be figured out. Indonesia, transfer money, etc.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,434 Posts
Pretty sure he became extremely careful and even paranoid seconds after realizing he got scammed. A drag nonetheless.

·
Darling of The Lounge
4,751 Posts
Bummer you got taken and thanks for having the stones to warn others.

Typing in the terms of "Indonesia" and "Scam" in RBR's search feature may have avoided your misfortune.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Odd.

100% of the time I've received SOMETHING from China E-Bay orders. Quality, of course, is all over the map. And, what has been pointed out a few times here is that several of the Chinese frames are lower quality fakes.

Why does that web site list so many 2012 closeouts? I could imagine the occasional 2012 bike, but not half their inventory.

Anyway, I'd buy items direct from major Asian countries, China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, Japan, & South Korea, but I'd agree that the more minor countries raise huge red flags. The other thing I usually ask is whether the country should have the items they are selling. I could imagine an Asian retailer selling one or two "made in China" brands, but not every brand.

It is hard to tell what is made where, but I think Colnago still makes their frames in Europe, so one can also go by the rule of whether a frame should be in the country you're buying it.

As far as Indonesia, I think they are major clothing manufacturers, not bicycle manufactures, although perhaps some components are made there.

The website lists both Visa and wire transfer payment options. Why choose wire transfer over Visa?

Nonetheless, go to your bank and talk to someone in person. See if you can get the transfer reversed. Also make sure your bank account is 100% secure. Is it even remotely possible for the scammers to hack your bank account? At least they don't have your visa info (I think). But, talk to the bank about whether you need to change any account numbers.

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "banner page with REI in the bottom right corner",
the first homepage has photos of MTBs cycling through at the top. check the bottom right of those photos, you'll see REI. The OP is not an American and I think English might be his second language. Sucks but I guess triple check before paying. Paypal and Credit Cards you might have some protection but wiring money? not too sure.

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
does anyone else get the ASIA CYCLES ads on the right of RBR pages? I do and does this mean RBR is getting paid for these ads or is google just being evil? I would imagine a lot of people see the ad on RBR pages and think it is an endorsement by RBR management. OP try and ask RBR management to lodge a complaint to Google on your behalf or even better to get Larry Page to send out a hit squad to Indonesia and get your money back. Sucks when scammers can piggy back on this forums publicity.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
does anyone else get the ASIA CYCLES ads on the right of RBR pages?
I don't see it, but I only allow the minimum amount of JAVA necessary to get site functionality.

Snap a screen shot the next time you see it, then send a complaint to one of the admins that commented on the India Spam threads.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts