Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking of getting an "English-style" bike to run some errands and for shorttrips. I like my fixie for commuting, but I wanted something with an up-right position, rack, fenders, etc.

I found one on Ebay. It's made in Thailand, from the looks of some of the newspaper packing material, by Hang Jin Tai and is marked as an "All Steel Bicycle," and they aren't kidding - from the steel frame, rims, bars, brake "levers," etc.. I haven't gotten it out for a ride yet, but here are some pics to start with. I'll add more later to highlight it's interesting features, like rod-style brakes, a four-legged fork arrangement, the Mother of All Racks, etc.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Meat Foot said:
One neat looking rig. Post that one on the weight weenie board :wink: to see how many anurisms you can cause.
The two chromed steel rods in front of the fork weigh about the same as a light carbon road frame... They are one of the many interesting design features on the bike. The front axle does not fit into the slots at the bottom of the fork. Those chromed rods cinch the front wheel up against the slots in the fork and are held by nuts that are larger than the axle nuts....

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
likeguymontag said:
Are those redundant top tubes? The saddle sure looks nice. Is it a Brooks? a Brooks clone, maybe?
It's sort of a Brooks clone, but not at all to the quality of a Brooks. It says something like PODNGREUNG CO LTD. It is quite cushy, and I'll Obenauf it as if it were a Brooks. They whole bike cost didn't cost much more than the similar Brooks B33 saddle would cost all alone...

·
Registered
435 Posts
Awesome. My neighbour (tenant of a house I own) had a very similar looking bike and rode it to her job as a nurse for many many years (more than 20 I bet), in all sorts of English weather, which is mostly rain. She passed last year and I helped divide her estate. I remember lifting it down from the rack. The thing weighed a tonne! Most of her possesions went to charity since she didn't have a will. Man if it was bigger I would have loved to have refinished that rig.
Enjoy yours for many many years.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's one speed. The drum in back is the rear brake. The pump is the one thing on the bike that doesn't weigh a ton. The tires are 28x1-1/4 and the tube valves are unique. I'll have to see if a schrader pump will work on them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
God help if you fall while on that thing. It hurts...ask me how I know. :)

I rode one years ago and didn't realize that the brakes were swapped (front/rear), stopped on the front brakes while in a turn. The handlebar almost put a hole in my throat. I got lucky and just had bruises. Other than that, they are great workhorse bikes.

-L

·
N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
akin to the netherlands

Would you mind sharing how you found this bike - the manufacturer's name or the seller's name on Ebay? A friend of ours just returned from the Netherlands and is dreaming about an affordable city bike of her own.

Hmmm... that front axle/fork arrangement sounds a bit sketchy... is it secure?

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ispoke said:
Would you mind sharing how you found this bike - the manufacturer's name or the seller's name on Ebay? A friend of ours just returned from the Netherlands and is dreaming about an affordable city bike of her own.

Hmmm... that front axle/fork arrangement sounds a bit sketchy... is it secure?
The seller was apexcycle. It was item no. 7238569224. He mostly sells motorcycle parts, so I'm not sure how he got this bike. I should ask him.

The fork arrangement does sound sketchy, but is actually pretty solid. The main fork arms are a bit undersized, but the fat, solid chromed bars that pull the axle up against the main fork arms are bullet-proof.

I rode it home and worked like a dog, but I realized that the tires were woefully under-inflated. I'll have to give a real ride report soon.

·
N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
Quickrun bike from Holland

It just bought a Dutch bike for $25 at a yard sale. Needs new tires, Sturmey-Archer 3-sp shift lever, cable and housings, and some TLC:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=64477

Have no idea if it's worth spending perhaps $50-$70 to clean it up. The SA hub is apparently stuck in high gear, because the effort feels equivalent to about a 53-15...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.