Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is rich. "The Hog" will apparently be taking questions during tomorrow's <a href="http://boulderreport.bicycling.com/2008/07/live-blog-sta-5.html">live blog</a> at bicycling.com. Perhaps he can weigh in on the new generations of epo and it's detectability or lack thereof.:)

· Registered
223 Posts
Can we start preparing ourselves for some "DS'isms"? You know, "It's really too bad for the sport", "I can't understand why *riders* still behave in this manner", "It really is a small minority who are involved in this kind of behavior"... Liggetisms are cool and clever, these are, and will continue to be, just pathetic...

· Registered
11,561 Posts
The interview with Hincapie on Eurosport this morning was great because he wasn't saying stupid things similar to Bruyneel. Mainly interesting though because of the obvious questions that just couldn't be asked, if that makes any sense.

I can't wait for a decade from now when maybe, just maybe, some of these guys will sit down and speak honestly and openly about the heyday of doping and this transition period.

· Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dwayne Barry said:
The interview with Hincapie on Eurosport this morning was great. Mainly because of the obvious questions that just couldn't be asked, if that makes any sense.

I can't wait for a decade from now when maybe, just maybe, some of these guys will sit down and speak honestly and openly about the heyday of doping and this transition period.
I don't know if you'll have to wait a decade, Ullrich has said some things in the not too distant past that sound like he's getting ready to blow things up. of course, he'll be instantly discredited and villified ala Scott McClellan, but the truth will be out there.

· Registered
35 Posts
Yeah, one of these guys like Vino or Floyd will be out of cash in the next couple of years and sell their "tell all" story for a big payday... all they have to do is come to grips with publicly admitting their guilt. Once they're fully ostracized from cycling, there is no reason to protect anyone.

· Registered
223 Posts
lookrider said:
According to bigpinkt, Tyler might spill the beans on the "training program" of LA. I believe it's quite possible..
Now that's interesting. Is this info mentioned anywhere? It seems that Tyler would incriminate himself which, after all these years of protest, would be odd. As I said, would be most interesting...

· Banned
608 Posts
blackhat said:
I don't know if you'll have to wait a decade, Ullrich has said some things in the not too distant past that sound like he's getting ready to blow things up. of course, he'll be instantly discredited and villified ala Scott McClellan, but the truth will be out there.
Although many in the pro cycling community might shun Ullrich, it would do his reputation in the general population a lot of good. Why should he play the part of the bad apple that got caught when he can tell the truth that everyone who wanted to win anything of significance was also doping?

The more information that comes out about the prevalence of doping, the better guys like Ullrich and Landis look. Although Landis and Hamilton, with their adamant denials, will always looks worse than a guy like Ullrich.

Ullrich's manager, Pevenage, is going to talk after the Tour. He said that he wants to wait until after the Tour so he does not damage the TdF. How much he will say, I don't know, but he has been villified just as Ullrich has.

· Registered
232 Posts
I've always liked Ullrich. He seemed more normal than the rest, struggling with his weight and stuff, ya know? I hope he does come clean, as it were. Besides, does he really have anything to lose at this point? I don't know what he does for a living, but I don't think it's related to cycling.

· Registered
8 Posts
I think he was trying to get his cycling company off and running.....

I've always liked Ullrich as well, he did seem more normal that the rest, I've always said too that he was one of the more talented riders of the peloton I think anyway....

G

·
I hope a few people come out and blow this thing open. That would be the best way to start breaking down the walls. Plus, if several people come out with the truth at the same time it won't be so easy for the cycling establishment to marginalize them.

· Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He's taking questions now, we'll see if any of the more topical ones get answered.:)

edited to add that he said he'll be releasing the internal control data after Vuelta. interesting, sort of.

lol. and there it is. in response to:

<blockquote>
JB-
You're awesome. Can you tell me if the EPO like product Ricco was caught out with is the same or similar to what Lance was using?
Thanks and good luck in Spain!

Posted by: m2 | July 18, 2008 at 11:04 AM

</blockquote>

JB had the following to say:
<blockquote>

9:07 AM - JB: Friends, I'm not going to answer any ignorant or offensive questions, so please don't waste your time writing them.</blockquote>

· Registered
8,000 Posts
blackhat said:
He's taking questions now, we'll see if any of the more topical ones get answered.:)

edited to add that he said he'll be releasing the internal control data after Vuelta. interesting, sort of.

JB-
You're awesome. Can you tell me if the EPO like product Ricco was caught out with is the same or similar to what Lance was using?

9:07 AM - JB: Friends, I'm not going to answer any ignorant or offensive questions, so please don't waste your time writing them.​
You REALLY though he would one way or another? :rolleyes:

· Registered
266 Posts
I met him last week in Sunnyvale

giovanni sartori said:
You could have flown to Seattle last week and asked him yourself at the question and answer session he had for his new book.
He was pimpin' his book at AMD. A friend who works there invited me over to meet him. He gave a 10min talk and answered questions for about an hour. He is a very charismatic guy with lots of interesting stories. There were only about 30 people there so it was pretty informal. I asked him what he thought of Ricco (pre doping bust) and he said Ricco is a talent but not someone he would want on his team. I also asked which riders he was looking to sign and the only one he wants is Taylor Phinney.

One non-cyclist did ask about doping and JB gave his usual "cycling is the most tested sport yada yada yada" answer.

Having recently read LA Confidential, I really wanted to grill him but I was a guest and it would have been highly inappropriate to do so in that setting. I did get a free autographed book out of it....

· Registered
1,808 Posts
blackhat said:

<blockquote>
JB-

</blockquote>

<blockquote>

9:07 AM - JB: Friends, I'm not going to answer any ignorant or offensive questions, so please don't waste your time writing them.</blockquote>
Seems like a good answer by JB. Inasmuch as CERA was not available during LA's career, LA could not have been using it, so the question is, as a matter of fact, ignorant, which indicates it was posed solely for the purpose of embarrassing or harassing JB, making it offensive.

· Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
harlond said:
Seems like a good answer by JB. Inasmuch as CERA was not available during LA's career, LA could not have been using it, so the question is, as a matter of fact, ignorant, which indicates it was posed solely for the purpose of embarrassing or harassing JB, making it offensive.
I'm not sure I agree with your notion that harassing "the hog" is somehow offensive.

<blockquote>Can you tell me if the EPO like product Ricco was caught out with is the same <em><u>or similar</u></em> to what Lance was using?</blockquote>

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.