Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has carpel tunnel (not sure if this is the way it's speld!) Her hands fall asleep and are a constant nuisance while on any bike. She says it is worse when her wrist are bent backward. I have double wrapped her bars with tape and am putting aero bars on for her. Any other suggestions that have worked would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
Your wife can try a few things. First change the set up of the bike and riding position. Use the top bar when cruising and even get brake handles there too. Move the seat forward so she's sitting a little more upright with less weight on her hands. Next she needs to consciously change hand positions often. Finally she can get cheap wrist splints from the pharmacy. These will keep her wrists in slight extension (neutral or what's called holding a coke can position relieving pressure on the median nerve) and protect direct contact to her wrist. These will all keep her carpal tunnel open and hopefully decrease her symptoms for a more enjoyable ride. Good luck.

Oh and you could always try carbon handlebar to take some of the shock if she still has aluminum.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
what is she riding?....drops?.... You might try the Nitto Randonneur...they have very different bends on them, ....mine have solved some pretty serious issues caused by a left wrist injury...they are pretty cheap as bars go, I just got a set for under 30 bucks, shipped.

Here is a picture, pr-wrapped so you can see the shape a bit better

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She says she is more comfy in the drops but can't stay in that position all the time. The wrist splints will probable help a ton. I have added the cyclo cross brake levers and aero bars. I am hoping that she will be able to rest her hands on the elbow pads of the aero bars for one more position. I didn't know if she would be better off with a flat bar and bar ends, may try this if all else fails. Touch0Gray that is one sweet green machine I have a 95 TSX Bianchi with 8spd ergo. currently set up for my daughter. I'll arm wrestle you for that headbadge though soo cool. I tried to add a picture of it but am a bit challenged at this sort of thing. How do I add a picture ?

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
Thanks..."celeste" is one of my true loves.......

The thing about the nitto bars is that I can hold them in many places and have my wrists straight. They are WAY more "ergo" than the "ergo" bars that came on it.

As for the headbadge....it is a one of a kind, a dragon, hand carved from pure silver.....I made it myself.

BTW to add a picture, press the "go advanced" button, then below the text box will be an attach file box....click it an add via the pop up.......

FWIW I rode a flatbar road bike for years with a set of bar ends and aero bars....it was very comfortable.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Bontrager buzzkills

Sounds like a positional change is your first order of business, but once you get there try Bontrager buzzkills - neat little vibe dampers that replace your bar plugs - will help take a lot of the sting out of aluminium bars. I have a set in some deda newtons and the difference in hand/arm fatigue with vs without is remarkable.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
Armchair Spaceman said:
Sounds like a positional change is your first order of business, but once you get there try Bontrager buzzkills - neat little vibe dampers that replace your bar plugs - will help take a lot of the sting out of aluminium bars. I have a set in some deda newtons and the difference in hand/arm fatigue with vs without is remarkable.
Interestingly enough, I just pulled the buzz-kills out of the mix, (new bars and tape and refused to put those ugly little spuds back in the ends with Brooks tape)

After riding with them for like 4 years....I can't tell the difference .....maybe the shape of the new bars is the difference....maybe it's just hype....don't know.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
bubba biker said:
She says she is more comfy in the drops but can't stay in that position all the time. The wrist splints will probable help a ton. I have added the cyclo cross brake levers and aero bars. I am hoping that she will be able to rest her hands on the elbow pads of the aero bars for one more position. I didn't know if she would be better off with a flat bar and bar ends, may try this if all else fails. Touch0Gray that is one sweet green machine I have a 95 TSX Bianchi with 8spd ergo. currently set up for my daughter. I'll arm wrestle you for that headbadge though soo cool. I tried to add a picture of it but am a bit challenged at this sort of thing. How do I add a picture ?
Be sure that the CX top levers are mounted down (rotated foreword) enough so that her wrists are straight when riding with her fingers on the levers.

Also, the numbness can be coming from any nerve pinching - neck, shoulders, elbows - so make sure she keeps her shoulders back and shoulder blades together.

TF

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.