Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Banned
Joined
·
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ASO buys La Vuelta

http://www.as.com/ciclismo/articulo/ciclismo-tour-comprara-hoy-49/dasclm/20080605dasdaicic_1/Tes

No word on if this means no Astana in the Vuelta.

I expect more to come out soon as this article doesn't really explain the new structure well. Unipublic is a huge company, it appears that ASO is only buying 49% of the group the runs La Vuelta.

I am sure plenty of ASO haters will disagree but this is a smart move by Unipublic. While the races and courses have been great over the last few years the media positioning has been horrible and that is the ASO's strength. I also do not see any mention of the sale of the sports media assets, another strength of ASO. The broadcast stuff will remain a separate company but they also have some web and print assets.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is an English version.
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...percent_of_vuelta_article_257858.html?aff=rss

"The whole of the Vuelta's logistical apparatus, plus the commercial and marketing aspects of the race, will apparently be run by the French media and sports giant."

This could be a really good move as the Vuelta's presentation and administration has always been poor. They also talk about a return to April. No sure if that will help.

The first Grand tour I saw in person was the Vuelta. 1983 or 82. I was 15 years old living in Southern Spain and it came right by my house. I remember seeing all the cars and motorcycles, chaos and thinking "That is what I want to do"
 

· Registered
Joined
·
11,561 Posts
mohair_chair said:
Only 49% of the Vuelta. I'm sure whoever has the other 51% will have a say in whether or not Astana rides.
No, read the UK article above, apparently ASO will control the sporting aspects but has no plans to ban Astana as they consider them to have been already punished in regards to the Vuelta last year when they were excluded in the wake of their doping problems.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
11,561 Posts
bigpinkt said:
This could be a really good move as the Vuelta's presentation and administration has always been poor. They also talk about a return to April. No sure if that will help.
I think the mix of stage types and interesting finishes in the Vuelta are on par with the Giro and it has the advantage of often having the potential for the peloton to get ripped apart on flat stages in the crosswinds, which you rarely see in the other two GTs. But for me there are two big strikes, for one it is often run thru not very appealing countryside (basically desert) and the crowds are often sparse.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top