Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always been a PI man but I finally bought me some Assos (Mille) bibs. Yesterday I wore my PIs and I must say that after wearing the Assoses (sp?) the PIs felt like I was sitting on a 2 x 4 on its edge. The Assos bibs are definitely worth the money.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
bmxhacksaw said:
I've always been a PI man but I finally bought me some Assos (Mille) bibs. Yesterday I wore my PIs and I must say that after wearing the Assoses (sp?) the PIs felt like I was sitting on a 2 x 4 on its edge. The Assos bibs are definitely worth the money.
I agree the Assos are great, but not sure if they are worth the extra $$ over the PIs or similar.

· Banned
1,844 Posts
I thought the same thing, I have a pair of fi uno and fi mille (s2's) and then I picked up a few different brands-- demarchi has done a nice job w/ their contour pro bibs, sugoi rs flex bibs, the higher end exte ondo (if you can get it clearance at STP) and the tenax laser is a nice pair-- the thing about them is you can find them for a lot less than the assos bibs.

· Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
I agree the Assos are great, but not sure if they are worth the extra $$ over the PIs or similar.
Assos bibs are worth it if you are doing something like a 100+ mile ride and are going to be in the saddle for hours. If you are doing a 50 or 60 mile ride and/or only going to be in the saddle for an hour or two, Assos bibs are not worth it.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
MarkS said:
Assos bibs are worth it if you are doing something like a 100+ mile ride and are going to be in the saddle for hours. If you are doing a 50 or 60 mile ride and/or only going to be in the saddle for an hour or two, Assos bibs are not worth it.
I would agree...I don't do centuries on a routine basis so other bibs work fine for 50 mile rides. I pull out the Assos for longer rides.

· Banned
978 Posts
That's your opinion. .

MarkS said:
If you are doing a 50 or 60 mile ride and/or only going to be in the saddle for an hour or two, Assos bibs are not worth it.
They are still IMO worth it for 50-60 mile rides without a doubt. I do lots of 50 mile rides, and I have 6 pairs of nothing but Assos gear. Worth is relative to how much disposable income you have.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
MaddSkillz said:
Okay, what makes them feel better?
fabric is better, chamois is better. they are also designed well so they feel most confortable when in a seated bike position.

· Registered
620 Posts
I don't have any Assos...

...but I do have PI. I can't remember what my 2 or 3 pairs of bibshorts are, but they're pretty top end, and they're basically okay. What I personally think are better than PI are the high-end Descente bibs...don't remember which ones they are, but I have 2 or 3 pairs, and they are generally a little better fitting, more comfortable, have a better pad system, and so forth, than PI. One of these days I'm going to try Assos...and not to hijack this thread, but what's everybody's opinion on other high-end bibs, such as but not limited to Castelli, Etxe Ondo, and so forth?

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
SkiRacer55 said:
...but I do have PI. I can't remember what my 2 or 3 pairs of bibshorts are, but they're pretty top end, and they're basically okay. What I personally think are better than PI are the high-end Descente bibs...don't remember which ones they are, but I have 2 or 3 pairs, and they are generally a little better fitting, more comfortable, have a better pad system, and so forth, than PI. One of these days I'm going to try Assos...and not to hijack this thread, but what's everybody's opinion on other high-end bibs, such as but not limited to Castelli, Etxe Ondo, and so forth?
The Castellis I have are pretty good, but other brands fit me better. They don't seem to be made for taller people--or maybe I just got some wacky Castellis since I got them through Steep and Cheap. I have an XL in one and it's a tad too small (straps a bit too short) and the XXL I got is a bit too large in the seat, but it works.

· Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
The Castellis I have are pretty good, but other brands fit me better. They don't seem to be made for taller people--or maybe I just got some wacky Castellis since I got them through Steep and Cheap. I have an XL in one and it's a tad too small (straps a bit too short) and the XXL I got is a bit too large in the seat, but it works.
BJII makes an important point -- different brands fit differently and your comfort level, in part, will depend on how your build comports with the brand's cut. For better (or worse), my build and the Assos cut are a perfect match.

I have some Castelli's and they are comfortable, but not as comfortable as my Assos bibs. One issue that I have with Castelli bibs is that the front is cut much higher than the Assos bibs or other bibs that I have -- if you pee over the top, it is a lot harder to pee while wearing Castelli bibs than other brands.

· Registered
335 Posts
I like PI - sometimes. I got the wrong pair this last time. 11 Mil chamois feels like I'm wearing a diaper. Still wear em but I'd prefer something with half the depth.
I have PI shoes that had some issues and they were great to work with - not sure if anything is going to change now that they are owned by shimano (from what I hear).

· Banned
1,844 Posts
MarkS said:

say what? I'll take my demarchi contour pro bibs over my assos for a 100+ mile ride any day, same goes for the sugoi rs flex. It's really a matter of what works for you. Honestly, I know a couple of guys who wear underwear under their bibs/shorts and they've never had a problem-- of course, they may actually be those aliens from "V", but hey, whatever works.

· Registered
1,469 Posts
I have 4 pairs of Assos FI.13 (top of the range) which I bought over last 5 years. I use them on rides of any length - 1 hour or 4 hours. My first pair is almost 4 years old now and is still holdling. It is critical to treat them properly to make them last. Handwash in cold or luke-warm water only or with wool-mix washing powder and dry them inside of the house. This way the super-expensive Assos bibs will become less expensive, long term, because they last a few seasons (unless you crash, fall and rip them up). I had another cheap pair of bibs before Assos and the difference was massive. So I never considered any other brand. Once you find a good thing, stick to it.

· Registered
44 Posts
g8keyper said:
Where do you all get the best prices on Assos bibs?
I bought 3 pairs of s5 FI UNO at my local sports shop last week - paragon sports - but they appear to have them online, too. They were 20% off last Friday so probably are still on sale. You probably won't find better than that on the current version.

I'm glad I got them. They are very nice. They are now my favorite bib short.

Here's my experience with bibs and their ranking:

1. Assos S5 FI UNO - perfect fit, great chamois for long rides. Like a 2nd skin
2. Gore Power - $80 cheaper than Xenon. I like the chamois more.
3. Gore Xenon - $180, perfect fit, as good as Assos, but I do not like the chamois as much. It seems to take awhile to find the sweetspot of comfort so the first hour or two aren't so great but eventually they do settle in and disappear.
4. Performance Ultra - great fit like the Assos and Xenon, but they are not very durable. Similar chamois to the Gore Power but slightly less dense.
5. Hammer Voler - Cheap, great training/commuting shorts. The fit is great besides around the chamois. It does not fit as well as the others above. The only short that slides around on my rear when I stand up and pedal. All others move with me. I find the chamois to be slightly rough feeling too. The fabric is definitely not as soft.
6. Pearl Izumi Microsensor - More expensive than all of the above besides the Xenon and Assos, but perform worse than all of the above. The chamois is not as nice and I do not like the leg grippers.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.