Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously I rode last night and it was in the 60's out and my area of concern felt like it was submerged in a bag of ice water. It was smooth movement-wise but the cooling sensation was very uncomfortable.

Any other cream that doesn't make your unit feel like it's in a bag of ice?

Anybody want a slightly used jar Assos? there is about a teaspoon and a half gone, got to pay shipping though.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I find the "cooling" sensation to go away in about 3 minutes. Not sure where you are going wrong. We sell 4 different types of creme at the shop. For every 10 Assos we sell, we sell maybe 1 of the other three brands combined. That number may be closer to 15, but lets just say 10 to be safe. Numbers don't lie.

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
Just plain old vaseline works fine for me. Then again so does nothing. I don't put it on my unit though as I don't sit on the thing. What to heck are you using the stuff for?

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
I tried it but never found worth it to use,

I have also a full pot collecting dust here.

·
Poseur
1,408 Posts
I don't know specifically where you applied the stuff, but it is not supposed to be used on your d!ck. You apply it to areas that contact the saddle where there can be chafing issues.

Vaseline? Seriously? It takes like a whole bar of soap to wash that stuff off.

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
GerryR said:
I don't know specifically where you applied the stuff, but it is not supposed to be used on your d!ck. You apply it to areas that contact the saddle where there can be chafing issues.

yeah seriously. I've never done a close inspection for traces of it but it seems to be totally gone after an ordinary shower.
Actually I just did a ride and used it and I haven't showered yet.......let me check......yeah it's smooth down there but it's pretty much gone (I don't use much).

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
You realize it's not to be used in or near any orifice, right?

In cold and wet conditions diaper rash creme is my favorite, otherwise Assos (or nothing). But cold creme works pretty well too if you are on a budget.

Actually the biggest difference in saddle sores for me was when I switched to a bare carbon saddle. Drastically reduces friction between shorts and self.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GerryR said:

Left side between the boys and the leg, the directions on the jar say to apply it directly to your skin. It worked as far as no chaffing but it felt like me whole area was frozen.

Any suggestions on non freezing type cream? That would be helpful

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
terzo rene said:

REALLY?!? And how would you know that...I didn't see any warnings to that effect

·
AKA Old Man
598 Posts
Warnings on the label and common sense says no more than the taint area. I would not use it as lube...

The stuff works! The cooling effect is much less than DZ Nutz, maybe you are just more sensitive. I would rather have cool junk than chafing sores...

·
Registered
303 Posts
I only use it on longer rides, more than a couple hours. I can see people not appreciating the benefits if they don't put a lot of miles in, don't spend a decent amount of time in the saddle or ride daily. The menthol feeling is very temporary.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
terzo rene said:
Assos really should include a warning on the label to protect those who see the application process as a great opportunity for a prostate self-exam.
Settle down boys. A yearly exam is preventative. A daily exam is making excuses.

·
Registered
308 Posts
i think the dznuts stuff is much better than the assos. i don't think its quite as "minty" and its has lasting power for a long ride. plus, how can you not support a company that is named DZNUTS

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
I like the Assos.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
other options

Cpk said:
Seriously I rode last night and it was in the 60's out and my area of concern felt like it was submerged in a bag of ice water. It was smooth movement-wise but the cooling sensation was very uncomfortable.

Any other cream that doesn't make your unit feel like it's in a bag of ice?

Anybody want a slightly used jar Assos? there is about a teaspoon and a half gone, got to pay shipping though.
Both Chamois BuTTR (non euro formula) and Beljum Budder work well and don't use menthol (they are also cheaper). I use Udderly Smooth and that works pretty well and is very cheap. It does contaions Parabens if that concerns you.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I prefer the cooling sensation of Assos. I've been told that vaseline ruins your shorts and saddle. I used it one time on a long ride because chaffing started and I still had another 40 or 50 miles. Worked OK. I was told by a very seasoned rider who does a lot of miles, that he uses Noxzema. I've never tried it.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
NOXZEMA works great for me.
I apply to chamois.
No menthol, and it washes out easily, and is inexpensive...buy the generic brand.

john

1 - 20 of 66 Posts