Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a pair of the S5 Mille shorts - the Wiggle.com site had a good deal - I love them and now am looking at other Assos gear. Other than the price does anyone have experience with their jerseys they would share? thanks-

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
I have an intermediate jersey which is like a combination of a jersey and a vest. I got it off Ebay for about a third of new, $70. Its designed to fit better in a tuck position. So when you stand, it kind of tugs at you, but when you're on the bike, it fits perfectly. It also has a nice zippered pocket in the rear for money/keys and the like. I like the fit and the design. The price is the only thing I wish they would change.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I love their bibs. I consider them money well spent, but Assos jersey's don't seem worth it.

i can say I feel a difference in Assos bibs compared to cheaper alternatives, but to me I like the cheaper more simple jerseys. Just give me some decent fabric a good zipper and three pockets.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I consider them money well spent, but Assos jersey's don't seem worth it.
+1

Their bibs, tights, and jackets are fantastic. Jerseys, knee warmers, caps, etc., not worth the extra money.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I don't know how you can say that about the jerseys. The name and logo are much more visible than they are on the shorts. I bet some guys would like them even more if they spelled the name A$$o$.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have some Early Winter gloves and the glove liners. While they do a good job of keeping my fingers warm and I like the fact that they are not too bulky, they are not very durable. Both pairs of gloves are starting to come un-stitched and I have only had these since Christmas 2008.

·
Banned
882 Posts
since i'm not on any club or team i have the luxury of wearing what ever i want the assos kits i have are well worth the money the SS.Uno jerseys are great and i've picked a few off eBay in the past. the arm and leg warmers fit great and stay put if you can swing it you owe it to yourself to get at least the shorts if nothing else.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Spinfinity said:
I don't know how you can say that about the jerseys. The name and logo are much more visible than they are on the shorts. I bet some guys would like them even more if they spelled the name A$$o$.
be a hater if that makes you happy but the shorts are awesome stuff.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
+1

tjjm36m3 said:
True, but their leg warmers are the only ones I have worn that doesn't roll off. And their socks fit me very well also.
Haven't worn the socks, but the leg warmers are great. Mine are getting thin now after 4 winters, I might have to shell out for new ones.

At least when I bought, they weren't THAT expensive compared to other brands.

Their jerseys ARE much more expensive, and I don't get why.

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
Spinfinity said:
Seeing someone wearing them doesn't mean they have money, it only means that they have spent money.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I bought two 2009 Assos ss.Uno jerseys from wiggle about a month ago for a great deal. Jersey has a relatively tight fit for the size, but I like it that way. Well made, nice materials. Nice pockets, plus one extra zippered pocket on the back which I use for the cell phone. Complaints: Engaging the zipper at the bottom of the jersey is more difficult than it should be. A small covering sewn to the jersey interfers when trying to start the zipper. If you are not careful it is possible to get a miszip started where the free end is not fully inserted in the retainer. Also, the metal tab on the zipper is too small to grab easily, especially when wearing full finger gloves. I'd like to see a longer cloth tab installed instead. So the zipper is the weakest part, everything else is excellent.

I also have the S5 Mille bib which I like very much too. The one concern I have is the durability of the chamois. I bought two Mille's and have worn only one for a couple of months, and I have been comparing the chamois by compressing the material. The one I've worn is definitely softer and less resilient that the new one. I don't think performance is compromised at all, but it is not going to last forever.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Also: I bought a climaJet windbreaker several years ago. Not very breathable and not very durable. I won't buy this one again.

·
Registered
962 Posts
mds said:
I also have the S5 Mille bib which I like very much too. The one concern I have is the durability of the chamois. I bought two Mille's and have worn only one for a couple of months, and I have been comparing the chamois by compressing the material. The one I've worn is definitely softer and less resilient that the new one. I don't think performance is compromised at all, but it is not going to last forever.
that is the first durability issue with Assos bibs that I have heard of. I you sure its wearing out and not wearing in?

·
Registered
55 Posts
funktekk said:
that is the first durability issue with Assos bibs that I have heard of. I you sure its wearing out and not wearing in?
I've worn Assos bibs for a number of years, and the chamois didn't last forever. A definite degradation over time. But this is to be expected. I just mentioned what I've seen with the S5 Mille after about 100 hours of riding. You may be right that this is just wearing in. I really can't say if they are more or less durable than older versions.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Did you have to change your saddle position?

I'm now on my second season with a pair of the F.I. Mille Half Short. When I changed from my previous shorts, I found that I needed to tilt my saddle back or I developed numbness. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

·
Registered
120 Posts
What did the S5 Mille cost from wiggle? I have one pair I bought recently and would like another pair before next month, doing the MS150 here in Houston. Any other places you recommend with good prices. I ordered mine from TeamCyclists about 3 weeks ago, got a decent price because they price match and will beat a cheaper price by 10%. Since they were about the highest price I found it was easier finding them cheaper but I keep reading terrible reviews on them. I got them pretty quick even though they didn't ship same day I ordered as they promised.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
About my comment regarding knee warmers... there's nothing really wrong with them, except for the annoying tag on the inside. Just in my opinion, there's not a lot about them that sets them apart from those from other makers of quality gear. For me, their jackets (I have an Airjack and Element One), tights (I have RX.LL's), and bibs (I have 3 pairs of FI13-S2's; two are nearly completely worn out, but not on the chamois, and one FI13-S5), however, are worth the extra money.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I suppose it gets a bit to get used to the suit, it doesn't seem expensive though.

Mootsie said:
I have an intermediate jersey which is like a combination of a jersey and a vest. I got it off Ebay for about a third of new, $70. Its designed to fit better in a tuck position. So when you stand, it kind of tugs at you, but when you're on the bike, it fits perfectly. It also has a nice zippered pocket in the rear for money/keys and the like. I like the fit and the design. The price is the only thing I wish they would change.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Argentius said:
Haven't worn the socks, but the leg warmers are great. Mine are getting thin now after 4 winters, I might have to shell out for new ones.

Their jerseys ARE much more expensive, and I don't get why.
+2 on that one. I've got the arm, leg, and knee warmers. They are top notch. I prefer knee warmers without the elastic right below the knee but that's splitting hairs. The arm and leg warmers are always on me this time of year. They have held up very well and do the job.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.