Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of Assos F1 shorts and I'm looking to get some more. Their sizing chart doesn't help much. I am currently riding the F1 Mille short in an XL. I'm 6'6" @ 195 lbs, with a 33 inch waist. I checked their site hoping to learn more and it only confused me. Here's their helpless chart (how do you size shorts by height) from the Assos site:
SHORTS

Size Height
S 160-167 cm 5'2''-5'4''
M 169-177 cm 5'5''-5'8''
L 179-184 cm 5'9''-6'0''
XL 187-192 cm 6'1''-6'2''
XLG 194-197 cm+ 6'3''-6'4''+
TIR = XLG but wider

So the question is, do they keep the waist relatively similar and only add length to the short? If I could get a pair with longer leg sections, that would be great, but I also think that the XL's are just touch too loose

Maybe they're assuming that people aren't shaped like most Americans (over 36 inch waist). I am hoping that this is the case as I have a hard time finding clothes that are long enough and thin enough.

Any suggestions?

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
that is correct. assos is cut for performance, not for fat a$$ americans who are XLs (or larger) but want the placebo effect of wearing Ls.

That's what PI is for ;)

Why not try on a pair? If there's no shop close by, then order a size L, and if they're too small send them back for an XL.

Good luck

Timmons said:
Maybe they're assuming that people aren't shaped like most Americans (over 36 inch waist)

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Timmons said:
I have a pair of Assos F1 shorts and I'm looking to get some more. Their sizing chart doesn't help much. I am currently riding the F1 Mille short in an XL. I'm 6'6" @ 195 lbs, with a 33 inch waist. I checked their site hoping to learn more and it only confused me.

So the question is, do they keep the waist relatively similar and only add length to the short? If I could get a pair with longer leg sections, that would be great, but I also think that the XL's are just touch too loose

Maybe they're assuming that people aren't shaped like most Americans (over 36 inch waist). I am hoping that this is the case as I have a hard time finding clothes that are long enough and thin enough.

Any suggestions?
I recently went to find a replacement for my S1 F2's. I'm 5'9, 190 lbs and currently have a pair in size Large. They are too tight vertically IMO. They state that they intend them to be correct when in the bent over position on the bike, not when standing upright.

I went to a local Assos dealer to try and XL but also tried an XLG. I didn't notice much difference in the waist area but the height definitely changed. The XLG frankly was a closer fit than the XL surprisingly. I also noticed that the leg length seemed longer in both of these and the one pair of Uno's that I tried compared to my current Assos shorts.

The shop owner is a tall guy too (perhaps 6'4") and said he wears the XLG. He also stated that the sizing is definitely European NOT American. You have to move up 1-2 sizes.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We've got a dealer here in AZ< but he only carries the bibs. None of the bibs are tall enough for me. That's why I wear the shorts. Those are plenty good enough for my needs anyway. I'll have to try the XLG to see if they are longer in the leg and not fatter.

·
Shirtcocker
60,640 Posts
Timmons said:
We've got a dealer here in AZ< but he only carries the bibs. None of the bibs are tall enough for me. That's why I wear the shorts. Those are plenty good enough for my needs anyway. I'll have to try the XLG to see if they are longer in the leg and not fatter.
They seem to run small...I wear an XL and am 6'2" and 200...usually wear a L in Performance brand.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
They seem to run small...I wear an XL and am 6'2" and 200...usually wear a L in Performance brand.
they don't run small, your performance bibs run BIG

·
Registered
67 Posts
Timmons said:
I am currently riding the F1 Mille short in an XL. I'm 6'6" @ 195 lbs, with a 33 inch waist.

Note that the leg sections on the Mille are cut much shorter than the other Assos bibs. IIRC (I haven't worn Assos in over a year) the legs on the Mille were over an inch shorter than any other bibs I had (FI.Uno and FI S2).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.