Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Posted today on El Pais, Madrid's daily:

"La organización del Tour de Francia ha decidido hoy no admitir en la carrera al equipo dirigido por Manolo Saiz, el Astana Würth, tras las informaciones publicadas por EL PAÍS sobre su implicación en la trama del dopaje en el ciclismo. Así se lo ha comunicado la organización a la Unión Ciclista Internacional (UCI), que no quiere manchar la imagen de la carrera."

Basically says the TdF organization has decided not to admit to the Tour the team directed by Manolo Saiz, Astana Wurth, based on the information published in EL PAIS regarding the implication on the cycling doping scheme. This has been communicated to the UCI organization by the TdF, which doesn't want to stain the race's image.

Poor Vino. :mad2:

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
bonkmiester said:
source.........???????????
cyclingnews.com.

There's some negligible chance that they could appeal to the UCI as a ProTour team and get out of it that way but you had to expect this eventuallity from ASO. It's been the pattern since 1999. I agree with the decision too. If the DS is implicated as SAIZ has been there's no way you can assume the team is clean. That's top down corruption not a couple of jokers in the deck.

Formal Doping investigation? Not welcome.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Why?

chuckice said:
ARGH! Vino is such a great wildcard! :mad:
Look, I like a lot of folks on here, love Vino as a rider, but I still think he's not even in the running for the overall, well he's definitely not now, but even if he were racing this year, he wouldn't be. He's won a few big races here and there, and seems to get more credit than he sometimes deserves in the world of bike racing. He might have won a stage here and there, and he might attack repeatedly, but really, that only works once in a very short while, especially in a big stage race that everyone wants to win a stage.

Let's look at Vino's palmares shall we?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandre_Vinokourov

2005, he won 5 races, not too bad really. A couple of stages for the Tour. A decent year. And of course Liege Bastogne Liege, always a good win in the early season.

2006, nothing. He's disappeared.

2004: 5 wins again.

2003: 4 wins.

2002: 2 wins.

2001: 2 wins.

2000: 1 win

He's not a dominant racer, but he is a very gutsy racer that's for sure. And I guess that's what we like to see really. So yeah, I guess in reviewing and thinking about it some more, I am sort of sorry that he won't be there, because he can bring some excitement to a race, but lots times he's not very successful at winning the races he animates, and anyway, last year, he should have been riding for his team leader, instead of looking for his own glory. That was the problem with T-Mobile. Too many leaders, not enough helpers. I hope that they can correct that this year, and bring The Jan the victory.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
magnolialover said:
Look, I like a lot of folks on here, love Vino as a rider, but I still think he's not even in the running for the overall, well he's definitely not now, but even if he were racing this year, he wouldn't be. He's won a few big races here and there, and seems to get more credit than he sometimes deserves in the world of bike racing. He might have won a stage here and there, and he might attack repeatedly, but really, that only works once in a very short while, especially in a big stage race that everyone wants to win a stage.

Let's look at Vino's palmares shall we?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandre_Vinokourov

2005, he won 5 races, not too bad really. A couple of stages for the Tour. A decent year. And of course Liege Bastogne Liege, always a good win in the early season.

2006, nothing. He's disappeared.

2004: 5 wins again.

2003: 4 wins.

2002: 2 wins.

2001: 2 wins.

2000: 1 win

He's not a dominant racer, but he is a very gutsy racer that's for sure. And I guess that's what we like to see really. So yeah, I guess in reviewing and thinking about it some more, I am sort of sorry that he won't be there, because he can bring some excitement to a race, but lots times he's not very successful at winning the races he animates, and anyway, last year, he should have been riding for his team leader, instead of looking for his own glory. That was the problem with T-Mobile. Too many leaders, not enough helpers. I hope that they can correct that this year, and bring The Jan the victory.

Dude, in 2003 alone he won Paris-Nice, Amstel-Gold, Tour de Swisse and was on podium at Tour De France and Tour of Germany. That season by itself is enough for him to earn his place in history. Those are far better than 40 rinky-dinky wins at Middle-of-Nowhere criteriums. Numbers are not everything, you have to consider the quality of races and how the races are won.

I wouldn't bet on him beating Jan or Basso, but in "dark horse" category he was the number one candidate to mix things up and make them interesting. His win at the final stage in Paris last year was something that we'll remember for a long long time. He may be not the most well-rounded cyclist, but his unpredictable attacking style makes him a very dangerous rider.

I am really sad he is not racing the Tour.

·
Cat 6
4,696 Posts
55x11 said:
Dude, in 2003 alone he won Paris-Nice, Amstel-Gold, Tour de Swisse and was on podium at Tour De France and Tour of Germany. That season by itself is enough for him to earn his place in history. Those are far better than 40 rinky-dinky wins at Middle-of-Nowhere criteriums. Numbers are not everything, you have to consider the quality of races and how the races are won.

I wouldn't bet on him beating Jan or Basso, but in "dark horse" category he was the number one candidate to mix things up and make them interesting. His win at the final stage in Paris last year was something that we'll remember for a long long time. He may be not the most well-rounded cyclist, but his unpredictable attacking style makes him a very dangerous rider.

Well said...AND not matter what, the guy is fun to watch. He creates chaos and that makes it at least interesting when he's on the road. He can TT and he can climb...if he could wrap some sense around his attacks he has as good a shot as anyone at the podium.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Things like this seem to occur every year before the Tour. It's as if L'Equipe and other sensational media sources, ASO, UCI, WADA, etc cant bring attention to themselves unless it's at the integrity of the sport and athletes.

I feel sorry for the riders who have chosen this sport as they seem to be crucified and burned at the stake.

Congrats El Pais. I now know you exist as a newspaper in Spain, although Spain is too far away for me to significantly contribute to your bottomline.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The decision is being appealed to CAS with a decision promised by Friday at the latest. But according to the ProTour/UCI regs the organizers have a right to exclude riders or teams that damage the image of the sport and event. Hard to see how a good argument could be put forth that Wurth has done anything but harm the image (by getting caught anyway) so the odds are probably not too good it will be reversed.

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
I think the Tour and UCI

is trying to force Manolo out. If he steps down and out of the team mgmt they have a chance. If he doesn't then they get blackballed.

Manolo you have to Venga! Venga! Venga!

Vino has been 'missing' this year because he's been solely dedicated to the tour. He's been pulling a Lance.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Vino

If it is official in the next day or so that Astana Wurth is history from the tour. Is there any chance that Vino could be cut loose from his contract and sign quickly with another squad? or is that simply not possible due to some team roster dates etc? I can think of a few squads that might take a last minute flyer on him.

·
Registered
227 Posts
magnolialover said:
Not me. Vino wasn't even going to come close to winning anyway.

The race is still going to be great, as it almost always is.

The Jan is still going to win.

We'll see how it all shakes out.
though I am happy to see Jan come into form, I don't believe he will win if Basso is in climbing form. Jan will not be able to hang with his accelerations in the mountain stages and or make up the time in the mountains. It is going to be a fun year!

G

·
Jan Ullrich has as much chance of winning the Tour as I do, his time has passed.

Vinokurov was not going to win the Tour eitheran he may have made certain stages interesting but that is all.

He bet on the wrong horse, sad but life.

Move on.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Did you?

55x11 said:

Did you read my post? I did say that in reviewing his stuff, he will be missed, and that he is a gutsy racer, and we all love to watch him ride.

2003 may have been a good season of racing for him, but we're 3 years later now, 2003 makes one good season, I'd like to match it up with the rest of his career, he's done well, and will probably continue to do well, I hope.

Paris Nice, it's a nice early season stage race, but it's not considered a jewel of spring racing. Tour of Germany? Please... The only people that consider that race major, are, well, Germans. Now Suisse was a quality win. As was Amstel. And a podium at the Tour, as I've said before, when it comes to the Tour, most people aren't going to remember who was on the 3rd step, they're going to remember who won. A nice placing, indeed, but still not a win.

Anyway, he'll make things interesting at some point in time during the race, but I look for him to make top 10, maybe. He'll waste his good stuff attacking and racing silly. That's not how most people will win a Tour de France. Sure, it worked for Pantani in 1998, only when Jan cracked in the cold and the rain, but that's about the last time.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.