Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rarely post in this forum, but thinking about all of the pros who try to dope up with asthma medications got me thinking. I am sure that many of the questions I am going to pose are basic and rudimentary questions, but here they are:

What are the properties of asthmatic medications that correlate directly with enhanced sport performance? Do they increase lung capacity/efficiency whereas EPO boosts RBC count?

What types of asthmatic medications (brands/types) are these cheats doping up on? Are they taking albuterol, advair, pulmicort???? I am somewhat unfamiliar with asthma meds, but are some stronger than others? Do different asthma medications have different performance enhancing properties?

How are all of these elite athletes getting prescriptions for these drugs? Are doctors stupid!? All Euro riders are genetic freaks compared to almost everybody. Most riders are in better cardiovascular condition and have more efficient/stronger lungs than nearly anybody. How in the hell do all of these riders get away with claiming to have asthmatic complications??

Thanks for any clarification people can lend me. All of this prescription medication doping sure creates a lot of grey area in cycling.....

· Registered
84 Posts
One very popular Rx Asthma medication, Clenbuterol has anabolic properties, as well as being a bronchodilator. The others will open airways allowing better O2 exchange, some have Steroids mixed in (the anti-inflammatory type) which at low doses should not have a systemic effect for joint/muscle pain.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.