Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been fooling around with the positioning of an aliante that I bought recently. I've found that it needed to have the nose elevated about half a bubble,and the height is about 1 cm higher than my previous saddle.

But the thing that bugged me about this saddle was that the leading edge created pressure on my right butt cheek on the downstroke. In a fit of inspiration I twisted the nose of the saddle over to the right about 1/2 cm. Today's ride was totally comfortable.

Anyone else experimented with side-to-side asymmetry like this?

· Registered
329 Posts
Yes

I know of several people that do this (and have heard of a lot more).

The only downside is explaining to people that ask..."yes, I know it is crooked, and I like it that way....."

Do what works for you and do not worry about others. We are not all the same....and very very few of us have truly symmetrical bodies.

· Registered
8,252 Posts
Many people ride with their saddles turned one direction or another....Including myself. I have a good 1/2 - 1 cm of saddle turn on all of my bikes and it does make the difference between comfort and non-comfort.

I know I have a leg length imbalance which I think causes my need to turn the saddle. My left leg is a good 1cm+ shorter than my right leg, most of which I think is in the femur so to balance things out turning my saddle to the right moves the back left side of the saddle forward just a bit. The leg imbalance probably causes a slight turning of my hips as well, which may play a roll in the comfort factor.

In the end...regardless of reason...turning the saddle works for me. Some of the new bikes with integrated seat masts likely would not work at all for me because they lock the saddle in place with no option to re-position the saddle to the side.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.