Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
keep the stack height LOW!!!!!!!

I'm running the Al steerered Zornyc (by Ridley) and it is pretty yummy. I'm, 230 as well. I have a Winwood OEM on my Bianchi Cross concept also. So far both have done fine.

·
Registered
348 Posts
00zero said:
at 230lbs are there any carbon fiber forks i should avoid?

thanks
Jonathan
Yo big guy- you should be OK safety-wise on most name-brand carbon cross forks. But you might find that a good quality steel fork works better for you handling-wise. A steel fork won't flex and chatter as much when jamming the brakes holding back your weight sliding down an embankment, and you may feel more "solid" and confident through the turns. I have 4 (!) cross bikes, and use both carbon and steel forks. It's difficult to isolate the differences between bikes to just the fork, but I certainly don't notice the small weight difference, and my steel forks, both good quality (not low end unicrown hybrid) just feel like they handle better for me when racing. So I'd forget carbon, and get a good steel one, not to be a retrogrouch or paranoid of breaking something, but because you'll have a better bike. Plus, you can take the fork to a good shop (one that still has a few alignment tools from the days of steel- don't try this at Performance or REI) and have them re-rake it to dial in to your frame for perfect handling- no compromises it'll feel solid and awsome duking it out in the chaos for the hole shot. You haven't felt sweet handling unless you've tried a setup with lower trail than is available with carbon fork rakes limited to 45mm or so- get good steel and customize it for your frame, you'll have a sweeter handling bike and save a few bucks too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.