Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
the other white meat
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've finally decided that road biking is not for me. (This is probably not the board on which to post that statement!) However, I do like to have a bike on which I can commute, ride some dirt roads, and ride some pavement occasionally. I had a Cross Check for a while, but it was a pig and rode like a piece of wood. It was also a little too big for me (it was a 58, but felt bigger), which didn't help.

Anyway, I'm considering parting with my '05 Salsa Campeon road bike w/full Ultegra in favor of something in the cross family. I looked at a Redline Conquest Pro, and I like the light weight and the disc tabs. However, the LBS here wanted $1450 for it - a bit pricey for my budget, and it seemed overpriced for the 105 components. I may consider just getting the frame/fork and swapping most of the components over from my Salsa.

I've also seen a used '05 Jake the Snake (size 56) advertised for $750, but I'm afraid it may be a bit small. However, at that price, I could probably part out my Salsa, keep the wheelset and sell everything else and more than break even. I've also looked at the Soma cross frameset, which looks pretty sweet, albeit a little heavier than the Kona or the Redline. I love steel, but rather would not have to pay that weight penalty.

So, what are my choices for an all-around, lightweight cross bike for less than $1000 or a cross frame/fork for under $500? Ideally, the frame/fork would be well suited to commuting and some occasional road miles, and would have disc tabs in a perfect world.

Let the recommendations commence!

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
I think pysasst snagged the $750 56cm Kona.

I'd suggest you look for a used Redline with discs.

If you go disc, you won't be able to resue enough stuff to make it worthwhile IMHO. You'll have to ditch the wheels, brakes, and chainrings. You might also have/want to swap out the stem and/or bars.

If you do want to swap out and sell the extras, www.greenfish.com has pretty good prices on Redline frames. You can also try trolling for used frames here and on Ebay.

I think for your intended use, discs are a good idea.

·
Roadies Rejoice
975 Posts
Gripped said:
I think pysasst snagged the $750 56cm Kona.

I'd suggest you look for a used Redline with discs.

If you go disc, you won't be able to resue enough stuff to make it worthwhile IMHO. You'll have to ditch the wheels, brakes, and chainrings. You might also have/want to swap out the stem and/or bars.

If you do want to swap out and sell the extras, www.greenfish.com has pretty good prices on Redline frames. You can also try trolling for used frames here and on Ebay.

I think for your intended use, discs are a good idea.
that'd be, www.greenfishadventuresports.com

·
Registered
3 Posts
A Lemond Poprad is fairly light, and can be had at a decent price. To top it off, it has the sweet ride of steel. I bought a slight used 05 frame and fork on ebay for $325. The guy needed a 57 and had a 55 so it work out just fine.

·
Registered
813 Posts
darik said:
A Lemond Poprad is fairly light, and can be had at a decent price. To top it off, it has the sweet ride of steel. I bought a slight used 05 frame and fork on ebay for $325. The guy needed a 57 and had a 55 so it work out just fine.
a 56 is too small and a 58 too big?

My advice is to find what fits you. Try and determine ideal top tube lengths as well as standover heights. These will differ even though both might be labeled a "56".

Buying used will save you a lot more dough than going new, but thats obvious. Keep searching the RBR classifieds for something to pop up and ebay.

I've bought both of my cross bikes off of RBR.

jeremy

·
Registered
362 Posts
This time of year you should be able to find some decent deals on cross bikes at your lbs and on Ebay. Some bikes that come to mind are the Cdale, Poprad, Redline, and Trek X01. All specced with 105, all around 22 pounds I believe. New should be had around $1200, used I would guess $700 and up. Try the fit out, Lemond does 55-59 instead of the 56-58 which sounds like it may be what you are looking for.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Got the

LetsGoOutside said:
This time of year you should be able to find some decent deals on cross bikes at your lbs and on Ebay. Some bikes that come to mind are the Cdale, Poprad, Redline, and Trek X01. All specced with 105, all around 22 pounds I believe. New should be had around $1200, used I would guess $700 and up. Try the fit out, Lemond does 55-59 instead of the 56-58 which sounds like it may be what you are looking for.

Kona....friggin thing rocks, less than 22 pounds, and fast...lightning fast.....LOVE IT....Cross Rocks....bring on the pain...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts