Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunday I was riding a bike race, off the back as I often am in races with big climbs. Never have done climbs well. Me, plugging along, all alone, up a 10mi. climb of low angle...3-4/% maybe, headed for the finish after 'time-trialing' alone for about 25miles. Lost my pack on the very first steep climb and nobody came along to team up with...so...

So I am going at about 90% effort, keeping a watch behind to not lose any more spots..and I see a guy way back...Uh oh..Got about 4miles to the finish, still uphill so I drop the hammer, just because. But the guy catches me, really pretty quick. He sits on for a few seconds then pulls up and goes.."Hi, You in the 30+?" then he looks over and goes "Oh, guess not... Glad I don't have to race you"... him seeing from my aged face that I am an older Master's racer than guys in his 30+ class, which he musta been leading. At least he didn't call me "Mr" or "Pops"

I guess I can't pretend to be a youngster forever...though I did make that "kid" bust his ass to catch me before the start finish line...

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Musta been the wrinkles. Over the years I've learned you don't ever fool gravity in a bike race and at 6'1" and 165-sometimes 170 even...I am already slightly on the wrong side of the power/weight equation...a belly certainly didn't seem a good idea, so I've left that off.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
First mtb race, 5 mile climb, 3 miles on a ridge, then about 5 miles downhill to the finish. Immediately off the back for the most part. I finally get to the top and there is a guy right behind me and I'm killing myself not to get caught. I'm sure he's in my class since he didn't take the pro/XXC route split and stayed on the beginners course. I'm dying trying to stay in front when he finally catches me. He then tells me he's a XXC rider that's quitting and going home, I'd been nearly puking for no reason at all. Ended up missing a turn anyway and finishing 2 short of DFL. Lot's of fun though. Always know your competition. For me I need to learn what they look like from the back...

·
What the what???
12,707 Posts
Additional reasons why I have not (nor will ever) race...

Well, that and the fact that in the shape I'm in, I'm pretty sure my entire cardiovascular system would explode from my chest ala Alien :)

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
Opus51569 said:
Additional reasons why I have not (nor will ever) race...

Well, that and the fact that in the shape I'm in, I'm pretty sure my entire cardiovascular system would explode from my chest ala Alien :)
Psh. Go pin on a number. You'll have the time of your life.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts