Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the best frames are the "52cm-54cm" size frame, or thereabout. Once a frame starts to go beyond 56cm, it's starting to look weird somehow because the wheels are smaller compared to the headtube. Man every time I see one of these 58cm+ frame with a heat tube almost as long as the fork, I wonder how stable the bike rides!

comments?

·
Bill Dobie
83 Posts
I think it is personal perspective. I have a 56 and a 57. Smaller frames look like they belong in a circus sideshow and larger frames are just weird.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
All well set up frames are good to me. I get annoyed when people have crazy long or short stems or seatposts. To me the most visually appealing are 56-58cm frames with 110-120mm stems. Pros look cool on tiny frames with long stems though. I guess because they're pro.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Bigger frames are more stable than pea frames, generally. I hate compact frames if we want to start a war.

·
Cycling Addict
5,170 Posts
Google for pics of Bill Walton on a bike if you want to see a frame size that looks "outa whack".

Not that I have anything against Bill Walton - it's just that bikes that large do look strange.

·
Proud luddite
7,223 Posts
Google for pics of Bill Walton on a bike if you want to see a frame size that looks "outa whack".

Not that I have anything against Bill Walton
I have actually seen Bill Walton's bike in person, a couple years ago when he was in Tucson for a charity ride. That was probably the tallest frame I've ever seen, and made the wheels look tiny. But I guess that's what it takes when you're a 7-footer. :)

·
Cycling Addict
5,170 Posts
Bill Walton is way more out of whack than his bike frame...

just sayin'...
Nawww, man... anyone who would rather go see the Grateful Dead play a concert in front of the Great Pyramid at Giza than go back to work is all right in my book...

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I've had as big as a 65cm, but 63cm is about the perfect dimensions for an old school steel frame. A bike that looks like it might fit me is the most eye appealing machine. Nowadays with sloping top tubes and compact frame geo, there is so much variability in the look, they're all different anyways - some inherently pretty in any size, some hideous in all sizes. Also, the modern 60cm frame looks like 56cm from 30 years ago, except for the amt of steerer and seat tube sticking out.

56 looks too cramped, not enough head tube!

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
Nawww, man... anyone who would rather go see the Grateful Dead play a concert in front of the Great Pyramid at Giza than go back to work is all right in my book...
that's like all groovy and stuff...BW has become pretty tiresome of late tho.

he announced a college bball game recently that was a world-class display of narcissistic stoner babble...at one point he stripped off his tie-dyed shirt and was positively ranting about something or other. the other announcer was visibly disgusted with his blathering and juvenile antics...

dude apparently can no longer handle his drugs.

back on topic...anything in the 54-58 cm range looks 'normal' to my eyes...

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
that's like all groovy and stuff...BW has become pretty tiresome of late tho.

he announced a college bball game recently that was a world-class display of narcissistic stoner babble...at one point he stripped off his tie-dyed shirt and was positively ranting about something or other. the other announcer was visibly disgusted with his blathering and juvenile antics...

dude apparently can no longer handle his drugs.
In addition to smoking a ton of weed he uses rim brakes. Any care to guess how SwiftSolo feels about him?

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Man every time I see one of these 58cm+ frame with a heat tube almost as long as the fork, I wonder how stable the bike rides!
The aesthetics are purely a matter of taste and what you're used to, but this statement is nonsense. The relationship between wheel size and frame proportions has nothing inherently to do with stability if the bike is well designed. Folding bikes with tiny wheels can be remarkably stable, even at race-like speeds.

·
Registered
8,778 Posts
As long as the cyclist is riding a frame that he fits nothing looks out of whack.

Ride the frame size that fits, not the one that's esthetically pleasing to others.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
As long as the cyclist is riding a frame that he fits nothing looks out of whack.

Ride the frame size that fits, not the one that's esthetically pleasing to others.
spot on...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think what we may be forgetting is that while the frame fits the person it is our perception of a "larger" person on a bicycle that will skew our view of how we see them

1 - 20 of 21 Posts