Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
12,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting read in the WSJ about the new stadiums coming out during these uncertain economic times. At what point do the common fans say no? I can't imagine anyone paying this much.
------

Fans can still get bleacher seats in Yankee Stadium for $5, though their view of the field is partially blocked by a glass-enclosed sports bar. Bleacher seats with unobstructed views will go for $12, and grandstands for $20 to $25, same as in the old stadium. The high-priced seats, Mr. Trost said, effectively subsidize everyone else's tickets.

But the affordable seats are fewer and farther away. Mets tickets will start at $11, but there are 15,000 fewer seats in the new park than at Shea. The Cowboys will have seats that go for as little as $59 a game, but they're much farther from the action than in the old Texas Stadium. Mr. Jones notes the game can still be seen clearly on the video board. Even with slower-than-expected sales, the teams aren't lowering published ticket prices.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123630159510147111.html

·
I Type, Therefore I Am
1,641 Posts
I can never get my head around tearing down perfectly good stadiums just to "upgrade". What exactly was wrong with the old Yankee Stadium? The old Texas Stadium?

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Pricing the fans of 2020 right out of the game. When I was in high school in the SF Bay Area in the '60s, we could ride the bus up the Peninsula for 50 cents each way and get into Candlestick Park to see the Giants from the bleachers for 90 cents. I think the '49ers at Kezar Stadium were $2.75. I made $1.50 an hour working in a tire shop, so baseball, especially, was affordable.
I've wondered for years why fans don't rebel. When my brother lived in LA, his boss had Lakers tix that cost $285 a game. The FCI for the Lakers (Fan Cost Index; two adults, two kids, parking, hot dogs etc for one game) is over $450. Patriots' tix are more than $90 a game, and the NFL average is about $75. THREE HUNDRED BUCKS to take my kids and one friend to see the '49ers lose, plus $25 to park in the mud and wade to the stadium, plus seven dollars for a 10-ounce beer? Right--that's going to happen.
I saw a study four or five years ago that pretty well proved that publicly funded stadiums are a net loss to the taxpayers. We're building one here, right downtown, for a minor league baseball team, and the developer who made all the promises is starting to waffle about "economic conditions" and how he'll need more help from the city. Oh, and we sort of forgot that there's no place to park downtown, so we may have to build a parking garage, too.

·
Registered
522 Posts
As long as the fans keep sucking it up, they will keep doing it, even as they slowly kill their fanbase. Don't be surprised when future generations would rather play Madden ($60/year) than watch a real game...

I remember when Chicago was a big hockey town - then they started blacking out games if they didn't sell out. Killed the future fan base.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
What's worse than the stadiums is that a team like the Carolina Panthers just paid like $75 mil to re-sign two players, the laid off 20+ workers from the team offices.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
The cool thing about having a nine year old son is that they think it's cool to sit up high. We frequent the 300 section of Safeco Field in Seattle.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Minor leagues=cheap and fun.

We're 5 mins from our minor league park. Fireworks every Sat night. Tix are dirt cheap for great seats, food is surprisingly good. Lots of entertainment for the kiddies. Overall great time and I don't even like baseball nor could I name a single player on the team.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Didn't Seattle let the Super Sonics go to Oklahoma City?

I'm in Milwaukee and we pay a 0.1% stadium tax for Miller Park. The tax was supposed to be temporary, but that's not going to happen. Right after we built the park, Bud Selig sold the team for millions (I don't know how many). I often do a little calculation in my head about how much I'm putting into Mr. Selig's pocket when I buy things -- all those nickels add up. And it might be another thing (though it probably wouldn't be) if so many of the millionaires we make in professional sports didn't: shoot themselves with their own guns, fight dogs, beat their wives...

I wish we'd all see things like Seattle did with the Sonics -- just say no! I have no doubt the average IQ in both Seattle and Oklahoma City went up with the Sonics' move.

kg1

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I remember paying $3.50 to sit in the bleachers at Dodger Stadium in the late 1970s and early 1980s.
Wasn't that great? I wasn't even a baseball fan and we'd go to games. Always had a blast.

·
...?
1,481 Posts
I grew up going to minor league games with my dad. I never cared much about the actual game, but there was always other stuff going on with the Mascots, and contests for the fans between innings that I had a good time. This was in the mid 90's and it would probably cost less than $25 for me, my dad, and my brother including snacks and parking.

I may get to a couple White Sox games this year. If one of my friends has his way I'll get dragged to one of the cheap monday games.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
Dr_John said:
Wasn't that great? I wasn't even a baseball fan and we'd go to games. Always had a blast.
The Dodgers were known back then for having the cheapest ticket prices in baseball. Not surprisingly, they also pulled in three million in attendance every year. I haven't been to a game there or anywhere since the early 1990s, so I'm sure it's all changed now.

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
there's plenty of options if you're sick of the "Pros."

Last night we went to the roller derby. $10 for adults, $5 for kids and there's nobody acting like the next TO.

If you really meant what you said about being sick of professional athletes you'll need to find room to put cyclists in there too.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
My Mom (rabid baseball and hockey fan) started going to Minor League baseball during the strike. She found she liked it so much she still goes. She'll still go 7 or 8 times a year to Orioles games but she goes more often to the minor league stuff and takes the grandkids.

I go to baseball games when I get offered free tix or if there is a group going.

Football I went once (free tix) and I left 1/2 way through the game and will never go again; $5 for a pepsi?! and all that sitting around waiting for the commercials to be over; I don't even like football that much and the social experience that you get at a baseball game was sorely lacking. If I want to watch football I'll stop at the stadium at my highschool and watch for 1/2 hour or so and cheer my students on.

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
kg1 said:
I'm in Milwaukee and we pay a 0.1% stadium tax for Miller Park. The tax was supposed to be temporary, but that's not going to happen. Right after we built the park, Bud Selig sold the team for millions (I don't know how many).
kg1

That's the reason my dad won't go to Brewer games anymore. We live in Madison so we're not paying the tax, but he's stopped doing the 60 mile drive for live play. He does go over to Warner Park for the Black Wolves or he'll drive a little to see Home Talent games.

I like going to Black Wolves games. They've got fun themes and the players have heart. Although I hate going when they have "Gary Coleman Night" when they charge by the inch for ticket prices. Kids get in for about a buck, I still have to pay full price :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts