Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, my $35 printer is out of black ink...ink costs $20 per cartridge, so i yanked the black out, to make do with the color cartridge for the time being...cuz i had a bunch of school papers i NEEDED to print.

anywho, i consulted my dad about this quandary, and he said to drop the $20 on the single cartridge...but, my thinking was that 2 cartridges cost $40, and the printer itself only costs $35, so i'd save $5 when i run out of both cartridges and buy the whole damn printer.

at what point is it more practical to get rid of a durable good (i.e. a printer) because the disposable goods (the ink) cost more than the printer?

also, poor kollidje kid is looking for cheap printer with cheap ink, any suggestions?

·
Two scoops of inertia.
529 Posts
you could try generic print cartridges, but I get what you mean. At least it isn't laser. If it was you'd need to replace the drum too.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,137 Posts
Sometimes it's just cheaper to just buy a new printer.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,916 Posts
Dr. Placebo said:
you could try generic print cartridges, but I get what you mean. At least it isn't laser. If it was you'd need to replace the drum too.
huh? I run laser printers since I NEVER print color and have for the past 15 years...I have replaced my toner cart's lots (but I still get 3,000 pages per for 30 bucks for re-built) I have replaced a fuser drum once.

Still the absolute cheapest way to print!

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,945 Posts
JaeP said:
Sometimes it's just cheaper to just buy a new printer.
I've known people who do that with low-end printers actually....it is a sad comment on our throw-away society.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Most new printers come with half capacity cartridges so you need to take that into account. I've been using generic cartridges for a couple of years. I've had good luck getting my epson cartridges from meritline.com.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
inksupply.com I have an Epson printer and have one of the CFS systems. It's really cheap to operate. They also have $5 generic cartridges which work fine. I print in volume every once in a while so the CFS system works for me.

One problem I ran into a few years ago was the printer said that parts were worn out and it shut down. Went online and googled an app that reset the counter on the printer. It's worked fine for another 2 years. I've had to reset the counter again, but it's still going strong.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,916 Posts
GirchyGirchy said:
The cartridges that come with printers new aren't completely full. If you print a lot of B&W, buy a cheap laser.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828112055

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828115079
uh huh!

I have an HP laser i paid 35 bucks for after re-bate on closeout (I SHOULD have bought 5 of them). I JUST got an Okidata laser for 65 bucks and I get re-furbished toner carts!

and + 11ty on the 1/2 filled inkjet carts!

btw....I have tried the refilling myself route....NO WAY....never again.....not worth the mess and failure rate. To the best of my knowledge the ink-jet cart's do, or at least USED to have to be re-set electronically after x number of copies!

·
Frog Whisperer
40,916 Posts
fwiw my Lexmark optra e+ served me for 12 years......I was sad when it died and glad at the same time....the new Okie is WAY faster

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
good thing the semester's almost over.

btw, did anybody hear of this class-action lawsuit over the price of printer ink? it's topped something like $8,000 per gallon or something.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,916 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
btw....I have tried the refilling myself route....NO WAY....never again.....not worth the mess and failure rate. To the best of my knowledge the ink-jet cart's do, or at least USED to have to be re-set electronically after x number of copies!
I did the refill thing about 12 years ago with good success, but of course times have changed and its much harder to find a cartridge that allows it.

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
http://fedex.com/us/office/

I print arch D size dwgs and dont have space or money for a plotter so I use the local printing company. HTH's

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Ahh screw it. :D

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
weltyed said:
cant you just go to a computer on campu and print it out?

or go to walgreens and get the cartridge refilled.
that's where they get you...10 cents for a page, 25 cents for color, and they don't accept charge, or cash amounts less than $1...and they don't give change. so, it essentially costs a buck for anything you print under 10 pages.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
weltyed said:
or go to walgreens and get the cartridge refilled.
Spam reported. :p

The cartridges you get with a new printer might be half full, but I've heard it's more like 1/3. If I had to buy a printer I'd buy a laser, no doubt about it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts